Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 05:32 AM   #1
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: none
Book prices according to region

Hi,

I am thinking about getting a Kindle and I am a bit unsure about the Ebook prices.

I see that book price is different according to the region (USA/Europe etc.).
Do you know how is my region selected? Is it according to my billing address? Is it according to the IP I use?

I live in Israel and my credit card billing address is in Israel.
Will my region be "Middle East"?

If I visit the USA and purchase the kindle there and then purchase books using an american IP, will I still be recognized as Middle East?

Thanks!
Asaf
shemsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:52 AM   #2
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
You tell Amazon where you live in your account settings. It's under "Manage Your Kindle", "Your Country". You can pretend to live wherever you want to, but Amazon may ask you to contact customer services if it detects a discrepancy in address or ip.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 AM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shemsha View Post
Hi,

I am thinking about getting a Kindle and I am a bit unsure about the Ebook prices.

I see that book price is different according to the region (USA/Europe etc.).
Do you know how is my region selected? Is it according to my billing address? Is it according to the IP I use?

I live in Israel and my credit card billing address is in Israel.
Will my region be "Middle East"?

If I visit the USA and purchase the kindle there and then purchase books using an american IP, will I still be recognized as Middle East?
If you turn the Kindle Wireless on (with 3G or wifi), Amazon can tell where the Kindle is from the way it connects, unless you also especially set up the wifi to use a US proxy (external to the Kindle). I don't think it is possible to spoof a 3G connection.

So it is possible to buy from the US store by jumping through lots of hoops, but the main reason to do so is geographic restrictions on titles. The prices of books on Amazon are fairly consistent between countries, only varying by local taxes (if any), and sometimes because of differences in the cost of equivalent p-books in each country.

Personally, I have such a large backlog I've given up worrying about trying to jump through the hoops. It is possible if you really want to though.

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-30-2010 at 07:00 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:55 AM   #4
shemsha
Connoisseur
shemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animalsshemsha is kind to children and small, furry animals

Thank you very much!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 AM   #5
shemsha
Connoisseur

Thank you. I just saw the the price difference between Europe and USA are not minor, that's why I was interested.
Anyway, when I'll get my Kindle I guess I will see what price I am required to pay.

Seems strange to me that physical book from Amazon will cost the same (I think) no matter where I ship to, but ebooks prices differ.
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 07:20 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The prices of books on Amazon are fairly consistent between countries, only varying by local taxes (if any), and sometimes because of differences in the cost of equivalent p-books in each country.
That's not actually true. Many Kindle books are considerably cheaper in the UK than the US because the UK does not have the "agency pricing" that the US does.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote