Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Dropped my bag with 505 inside, should I be worried?

Dropped my bag today with the 505 inside it. It was in a cover, inside the bag. It looked fine on quick glance, but when I went to turn it on later, the power switch was jutting out and wiggly and could not get any traction to slide. I fiddled with it a bit and I seem to have slid it back in place. It looks normal now and is turning on and off with no problems. But is this the beginning of something horrible? Should I take it in for repairs? Or did it probably just come loose a little and now it's fine? To clarify, it does look normal now and is working. But there was that minute or so it wasn't...
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I think you should relax and chill. I've dropped my poor 505 a few times and haven't had any problems.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
I've dropped my reader a few times while it was in the cover. And it has been fine. Hopefully yours will be too.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Faenad
Ad astra per aspera
Faenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enoughFaenad will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300 & HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
To clarify, it does look normal now and is working. But there was that minute or so it wasn't...
There are no mechanical parts inside. Either it's broken or it's working fine.

However, the plastic parts of the power switch may be now more fragile as it was forcibly dislocated then put back in place. I would be more gentle from now on with the switch.
Faenad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I wouldn't worry. One of the times I dropped mine the power slider got all funky, but with barely even a little fiddling it went back into place, and has worked fine for the months since that.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thanks for the reassurances, everyone! I love my 505 and would be devastated if something happened to it, especially something as silly as this!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
There's a little plastic piece that connects the power switch that can be easily knocked loose in a fall - it happened to mine when I fell on it - but it's easily repaired. Just remove the top 2 small screws from the back, take off the top piece and snap the plastic connector back on.

So even if you did pop it loose, you could fix it easily. But since it's working now, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
mgrunk
Zealot
mgrunk has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I dropped mine and torqued the frame a bit - untwisted it and it was as good as new. Thankfully, I didn't break the screen.
mgrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:54 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've dropped mine and kicked it in the process and there are a few loose bits but it still works great
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:27 PM   #10
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yeah, what everyone else said. Readers get dropped, they either work afterwards or they don't. There's not really a mid stage.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:45 PM   #11
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
unless it's not turning on, i would not be that much worried .

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote