Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 PM   #91
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nigeria was an easy country and I had already read a book from Nigeria so I removed it from this year's list (Americanah was my preliminary selection). It's all the others that are problematic.

I have ideas for Ghana, Senegal, Sierra Leone, and Togo as well.But availability is really sparse and given my route selection process I couldn't string enough together to get me out of the region. Some of those would be used paper purchases. For this year I've pretty much given up on the region for logistic and economic reasons.

I will definitely be continuing this challenge in subsequent years to fill in even more countries. I should be at around 70 to 80 countries read by the end of the year with almost 50 new ones.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #92
Elpida
Connoisseur
Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elpida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Thanks Elpida. Zorba the Greek has been on my radar for a long time and might be the selection from Greece, but my library doesn't have it in eBook and the cost is atrocious ($14).
$0 here on Mobileread Zorba the Greek (mobi)

and The Last Temptation of Christ (epub)

Last edited by Elpida; 06-09-2014 at 03:12 PM.
Elpida is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2014, 03:19 PM   #93
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Wow! What an adventure. This is such a great project and I really wish you all the best completing it.

I have also spent some time in Sierra Leone, but have no literature ideas. However, I spent time in Liberia just outside of Monrovia with an Irish fellow I got to know quite well. He had a pretty good bookshelf and I remember sort of reading through a couple of books. I really don't remember them that well and the only reason I can name them is because I noted them in my journal. One was Africa and Children by J. Ninsel Warner and the other was The Black Mayflower by Prince Massala.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #94
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elpida View Post
$0 here on Mobileread Zorba the Greek (mobi)

and The Last Temptation of Christ (epub)
Wow, karma for you. I didn't know it had passed into Canadian public domain. Very, very, very thankful.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #95
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
If you're still stuck for Ukraine, I've found out that Andrey Krukov is Ukrainian (despite being born in Leningrad...) I've only read Death and the Penguin and The Milkman in the Night but thoroughly enjoyed them - must get round to reading his other books at some point!

Oh and throwing another one in the ring - for Greece this time, although you seem to be sorted for that country - Apostolos Doxiadis Uncle Petros and Goldbach's Conjecture

Last edited by Yolina; 06-27-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2014, 11:55 AM   #96
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

A quick update.

There's only four books left in my challenge which will have spanned 70 countries.

Some other statistics:

Countries read: 66
New Countries: 47
Total Countries I've now read: 67
Given that there are 190 +/- 8 countries I will be somewhere in the 34% - 38% range for covering the world by the end of the year. That still seems rather paltry even though I know it was quite a bit of effort to even get this far.

Next stop 50%? 100 countries? Finish some regions? So many more places to go still, but they are getting more and more difficult to find.

To finish off this year's challenge I have Algeria, Morocco, Portugal and Ukraine to go.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:17 PM   #97
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
A quick update.

There's only four books left in my challenge which will have spanned 70 countries.

Some other statistics:

Countries read: 66
New Countries: 47
Total Countries I've now read: 67
Given that there are 190 +/- 8 countries I will be somewhere in the 34% - 38% range for covering the world by the end of the year. That still seems rather paltry even though I know it was quite a bit of effort to even get this far.

Next stop 50%? 100 countries? Finish some regions? So many more places to go still, but they are getting more and more difficult to find.

To finish off this year's challenge I have Algeria, Morocco, Portugal and Ukraine to go.
Do you have an idea about how much of the world you have covered by population? I assume you are WAY above 34-38% with both China and India on your list.

Edit: I did some of the math...it looks like you ave 9 of the 12 countries with 100M+ populations on your list, only missing Philippines, Nigeria and Bangladesh (I am surprised this one is on the list). Just those 9 puts you at 55+% of the world's population. Seems like you are doing well to me. It has been very interesting following your travels this year.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #98
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Lol. I had read Nigeria previously so I substituted that title earlier in the year. Philippines and Bangladesh both proved very difficult to find anything. It would be nice to cross off the top-25 population list and all of North and South America somehow.

Top-30 suspects (6): Bangladesh, Philippines, Iran, Democratic Republic of Congo, Thailand, Myanmar, Colombia

Pretty decent coverage at the top, but that is where it is easy. Iran should be an easy one to find and I've got one for Colombia. The others have proved pretty elusive. I don't even have anything penciled in as a possibility.

And I just had to do it. Given a population around 7.266 billion (world population clock) I have read countries counting about 80.2% of the population. Not bad. That could be one method of determine relative success. 80% is not too shabby. I'd like to see 90% of population and 50% of countries. But that's another 30 countries away.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:58 PM   #99
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I found the USA over-represented in my reading and was becoming a bit bored with it, so I started following the Australian Women Writers Challenge. Some great stuff there. And on my to-do list is to take a closer look at the Science Fiction & Fantasy Translation Awards lists.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 10:27 AM   #100
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^Nice. Thanks for the link.

Roadside Picnic was my choice for Russia this year.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #101
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Lol. I had read Nigeria previously so I substituted that title earlier in the year. Philippines and Bangladesh both proved very difficult to find anything. It would be nice to cross off the top-25 population list and all of North and South America somehow.
Presumably you've looked at (for example) the "List of Bangladeshi Writers" topic in Wiki? There are a fair number listed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #102
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^Yes, but thanks for the reminder. That's a usual starting point for every country for me. Then I read the biographies, see if they were born, transplanted, whatever. It might just be that I never looked at Bangladesh too hard. I had originally plotted a route through the world as you can see here, and I think Bangladesh got eliminated for being too hard a route for this year, although looking at the map again: India to Bangladesh to Sri Lanka would have worked easily. Then again, I cheated between Ukraine and Czech Republic, but I did relax the journey as I found books hard to find.

Given a limited budget I was a bit at the whim of what I could find through my library for a lot of this. I did buy a few books. Belize, Guatemala, Malaysia, but I really did try to do this on the cheap.

Now that I look I have found Tahmima Anam's A Golden Age which looks like a perfect fit. Oh well, onto the pile of fill in reads at some point it goes.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:04 PM   #103
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

Now that the year is pretty much over and I'm into garbage time in my reading year, I thought I'd give an update of how far I got.

I read books from authors from 71 different countries this year. Bringing my total number of countries read up to 73 from the 25 I started with. I've researched my list of countries -- and I am using the term loosely since I haven't found much for definitive in many cases -- to 195 and bringing me up to about 37% of countries and about 83% of the world's population.

As far as regions go, I've got the following statistics:

Africa: 16/54
Eastern Africa: 7/18
Middle Africa: 1/9
Northern Africa: 6/6
Southern Africa: 1/5
Western Africa: 1/16

Americas: 18/35
Caribbean: 4/13
Central America: 5/8
North America: 2/2
South America: 7/12

Asia: 16/48
Central Asia: 3/5
Eastern Asia: 3/5
Southern Asia: 4/9
South-Eastern Asia: 4/11
Western Asia: 2/18

Europe: 21/43
Eastern Europe: 5/10
Northern Europe: 7/10
Southern Europe: 5/14
Western Europe: 4/9

Oceania: 2/15
Oceania: 2/2
Melanesia: 0/4
Micronesia: 0/5
Polynesia: 0/4

I've hung up the challenge for this year, but I've penciled in to try and hit at least another six countries next year. They are getting harder to cross off. You can check out the journey map here: Victim of Geography
Old 12-10-2014, 05:24 AM   #104
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This is awesome! Hahaha. I finally found this challenge and all the things you guys have accomplished are extremely impressive. @Homeinmyshoes: The progress of your journey map is remarkable, truly. I can only hope to get 1/4 of your achievement. Hahaha. Good thinking on documenting them via maps. Wow!
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #105
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer

^Thanks.

I can almost add one more country to the list: Cambodia which should be finished this week.