Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM   #1
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Boox M90
Unhappy My Issues with Onyx M90

Hi all I've just got my Boox M90, I have to admit that it is near to my idea of E-Book reader, but has some issues that make it far from perfect.
The main two for me are:
  1. The pen has a blind spot near to the area where the speaker is, I think that the magnet of the speaker absorb all the emission of the wacom sensors.
  2. No g sensor this page http://www.onyx-international.com/en...id=175&cid=172 says that it should autorotate (like my phone) but this feature is missing or disabled.

Are these general HW issues of a fault of my item.
Cya
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:36 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I haven't noticed a blind spot per se, but I don't think the screen responds all that well to the stylus at all.

I'm thinking the gravitational sensor either got left out, or isn't activated. There's nothing in the settings, and there is nothing in the user manual.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I havent found the g sensor in the setting either. i am asking about it. i dont have a blind spot near the speaker but i believe they could improve the response a bit.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 07-07-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #4
t3hSucK
t3hSucK began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m90
Hi,
I can definitely confirm now that it is the speaker's magnetic field that's interfering and causing a blind spot on my device.

I've run a small iron keyring attached to a string (lol...) across the back of the device, and found a pretty strong magnetic field. Strong being, strong enough to actually get the keyring to stick to the white button at the back. I mean, ok, there *should* be some kind of magnetic shielding on the other side of the speaker, or I'd hope so anyway... *edit* Nope - or at least not effective : I've run the keyring across the screen - there's a magnetic field there too centered around the dead zone. The ring doesn't actually stick, but swinging the ring across the field actually distorts its movement, so there's a slight field there too. *edit*

Now, I don't know if this is a normal thing, but could anyone that doesn't have this problem confirm that their speaker is not like this? *edit* well, ok - the speaker probably would be like that since it contains a magnet..., but could anyone please check the screen for this? *edit*

I'm not sure if it has to do with actually trying to use the speaker, but one of the first things that I've tried with the device when I got it was to play an mp3 through the speaker, and cranking the volume to max to test how strong the speaker was... ;/. Anyway, not using the said speaker again. Hopefully the magnetic field will weaken over time, but I wouldn't suggest to anyone to actually try the same thing...

I guess I'll read up on degaussing and magnetic shielding ...

Last edited by t3hSucK; 07-18-2011 at 05:04 AM.
t3hSucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
t3hSucK
t3hSucK began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m90
...might as well throw in 'how speakers work' in there as well bc. I'm obviously a noob.
t3hSucK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
Kirys
Zealot
Kirys has learned how to buy an e-book online

I made a video that shows the blind spot
http://goo.gl/1SUJ9
Kirys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 03:19 PM   #7
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirys View Post
  1. No g sensor this page http://www.onyx-international.com/en...id=175&cid=172 says that it should autorotate (like my phone) but this feature is missing or disabled.
The engineer left out the G-sensor, so it can't autorotate.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyx Europe View Post
The engineer left out the G-sensor, so it can't autorotate.
The engineer needs to be slapped.

I see the website finally dropped that claim as well.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The engineer needs to be slapped.

I see the website finally dropped that claim as well.
As the distributor in Europe we also thought a G-sensor was included. So that was a real disappointment.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 AM   #10
initx
Enthusiast
initx began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Nokia Lumia 800
blind spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirys View Post
The pen has a blind spot near to the area where the speaker is, I think that the magnet of the speaker absorb all the emission of the wacom sensors
Hi. Is this blind spot a general issue (it affects all the devices) or just some of them? I am thinking about buying an M90 but w/o any blind spots...
initx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
ssdb
Enthusiast
ssdb began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by initx View Post
Hi. Is this blind spot a general issue (it affects all the devices) or just some of them? I am thinking about buying an M90 but w/o any blind spots...
I just received my M90 today (it was in the second batch from Onyx Europe).

I did some Scribbles and could not see any problem with it so maybe they've fixed it.
ssdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #12
initx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdb View Post
I just received my M90 today (it was in the second batch from Onyx Europe).

I did some Scribbles and could not see any problem with it so maybe they've fixed it.
Great! Would you please share your experiences after playing with the device! How do you feel about navigation? Is it fast enough?

I am just about to get mine, just worrying because of the dead spot issue. But its good to hear that they may have fixed it.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #13
ssdb
Enthusiast

Quote:
Great! Would you please share your experiences after playing with the device! How do you feel about navigation? Is it fast enough?

I am just about to get mine, just worrying because of the dead spot issue. But its good to hear that they may have fixed it.
It seems pretty quick. No problems with opening or navigating PDFs.

I've opened a few PDFs that I've printed from Guttenberg novels and they've opened quickly and the page turns are quick as well. A few technical PDFs have also worked very well. I haven't noticed a problem with navigation - jumping to a page halfway through a PDF seems OK. I'll have to try with some very big PDFs later on, at the moment I'm just playing with it.

The one thing I'd say is remember that the little IR also works as a button. It took me 5 minutes before I realised how to set the clock!

The screen is very good as well - it's my first E ink device and it's impressive.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #14
initx
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdb View Post
It seems pretty quick. No problems with opening or navigating PDFs.
Sounds exiting.

Would you please test again the wacom pen on the whole screen, so that to confirm that this effect does not exists any more at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acX_C...tailpage#t=23s

If it works okay, I will buy mine this week. This should be my second e-ink device.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #15
ssdb
Enthusiast

Quote:
Sounds exiting.

Would you please test again the wacom pen on the whole screen, so that to confirm that this effect does not exists any more at all?

If it works okay, I will buy mine this week. This should be my second e-ink device.
It seems ok to me. Hopefully this will work...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/60302923.jpg/

some modern art for you.