Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
PB903 opening

Hi all. I'm going on a business trip for a couple of days but I don't wanna carry my laptop. So I'm going to take my PB903 instead but in order to be able to check my mail and browse the web I need to install 3G sim card. No matter how many times I've tried to open the device I just can'd do this. Probably I'm not tend to push it to hard - there is a glass to keep safe. If there is someone with better luck I'll be really grateful to learn how to do this . Thanks.
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #2
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

Device: 903
You will not believe what Waldemar (pocketgoods) recommended in the German forum:

review is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Hi onesome, I haven't tried it yet, but it does look easy - I did read on the German forum that somebody had used washing up gloves to open it, but I cannot find that message again (I use google translate, which makes it cumbersome) - having said that, Pocketgoods have put this video in teh German forum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuXrHwy59Ac
In practice you create a sticky sleeve with tape, which you then slide open - the "button" on the back isn't really a button (i.e. you cannot really press it), by the way (again, read soemwher onthe German forum), but it is useful to get some grip.

Last edited by paola; 01-22-2011 at 04:32 AM. Reason: fixed the link
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
review
Addict
review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.review got an A in P-Chem.

There is a difference of opinions with regard to the button. Every single post I've read before I received my pocketbook was that there is no point in using the button. It is useless.

This was (officially) first mentioned in the "washing up glove"-thread (although some users reported this already long ago) but be aware that Waldemar made this statement while he was referring to a 60x pocketbook!

In the youtube video thread he actually insists that for the 90x series you DO have to press the button. And highly official post by Fork confirms this (posted last monday).

Without pressing the button, there is no way that I could open my 903. I tried for hours and it opened only after I pressed the button. However, be aware that the button does appear to do much but in fact it is essential.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolamanzini View Post
the "button" on the back isn't really a button (i.e. you cannot really press it), by the way (again, read soemwher onthe German forum), but it is useful to get some grip.
Ha! During a break from reading the other day, I thought I would try to pop the back off and take a look at it, and was puzzled by why the button didn't seem to push in at all. I didn't end up getting the back off, but it's good to know that it wasn't just because the button was broken. This device is full of quirks! Thanks for the tip.

Edit. Saw review's post only after posting mine. So I pushed the button harder and tugged harder on the back cover and off it came! Pretty boring underneath, actually, but it definitely looks like the button is not just for show.

Last edited by rkomar; 01-22-2011 at 05:01 AM.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2011, 04:56 AM   #6
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi review,
thanks for making these clarifications (I had not realised we had answered together ): as I wrote, I haven't tried yet as I am afraid of breaking the thing, but the button on the back of my PB903 does not seem to yeld to pressure - I guess maybe this happens only when you slide the cover? I'll have to try it out ... as soon as I find the courage
Old 01-22-2011, 05:00 AM   #7
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Ha! During a break from reading the other day, I thought I would try to pop the back off and take a look at it, and was puzzled by why the button didn't seem to push in at all. I didn't end up getting the back off, but it's good to know that it wasn't just because the button was broken. This device is full of quirks! Thanks for the tip.
rkhomar,
looks like we are all writing at the same time - check out what review says, apparently the button at the back of the large models does cave in, and should be pressed for opening - apologies for the confusion!
Old 01-22-2011, 05:43 AM   #8
onesome
Connoisseur
onesome began at the beginning.

Device: GalaxyTab 10.1
Hi all and thanks. I did it! The video was useful just to see with my eyes it could be done . After that I followed the link to the German forum where Pocketgoods have been explained you could use rubber gloves. I took my wife's one and it worked. Pressed and held the button , propped up the reader with my thumb/between the speakers/ and with the other four fingers I slided the cover. At some point I had to push down the cover with little bit more pressure just to make good contact with my fingers. Now I can confirm it's easier than I thought. Thanks all!
onesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by review View Post
Without pressing the button, there is no way that I could open my 903. I tried for hours and it opened only after I pressed the button. However, be aware that the button does appear to do much but in fact it is essential.
Disagree !

I've tried for hours pressing the button with no success. Without using the button it took a little force push and it opens.

Maybe the button on my 903 is defect.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
review
Addict

hello SkyDream

Don't take offence. I'm not saying that you don't tell the truth. I'm more than certain that with such a bad design of the button which they released everything can be possible. That was the very reason why I said that there is difference of opinions. So yes, it is good that people can see this difference of experiences and can try whatever works for them. Certainly by "design" there is function of the button and in my case this button does it job pretty well and in your case it obviously doesn't do a lot.

So yeah, people should try to open it with or without pushing the button.

Shall we make a poll what works for most users? (forgive me, just kidding).
Old 01-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
No offence taken

From the design of the button it should have some functionality. But it didn't work for me and some others. It may be ok and to it's work for others.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote