Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
catsnotkis
catsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it iscatsnotkis knows what time it is

Device: none
Got it, hate it

deleted

Last edited by catsnotkis; 01-06-2011 at 03:04 AM. Reason: deleted
catsnotkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Wow that's a pretty strong reaction! Be pretty hard for anyone to convince you to keep it if your initial reaction is that you hate it!

So I'm not going to try and convince you. If you really feel like that then it's a good thing you get 30 days in which to send it back to Amazon.

If you purchased the items by accident, Amazon will sort that out for you I'm sure if you contact them and explain.

It is normal on any e-ink device that the page turns dark as you move to the next page, this refreshes the screen. Most people don't notice it when they read but there are some people I've read about who cannot tolerate it. But you may find that as you read, you will be bothered less by it.

As for the 3G signal - some locations don't fare so well. Do you not have a wifi connection as well?
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
First, you can go to the amazon website and set your spending limits to $0.00 (and remove your credit card from the 1-click options) if you want to prevent purchases from the Kindle itself and prevent "accidental" purchases.

Second, yes each page turn it goes dark for a tiny split second then goes back to normal. I have seen various e-ink readers do that. That is how you know it is turning the page rather than the text just changing and you thinking you might be on the same page. If you happen to be looking away and see the screen go dark then it should catch your attention and realize you accidentally flipped pages.

Personally that is why I went with the wifi-only version. I know 3G coverage is so-so (since it is through AT&T and their signal sucks here). One option would be to return it and exchange for the wifi-only version. Your books would still be Archived on their site and accessible for the new one when it arrives. The only purpose for 3G is buying and downloading books away from home. Personally I would not use the 3G since it is easy to go to wifi hotspots or using home wifi to access the same info.

Last edited by screwballl; 01-05-2011 at 05:06 PM.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsnotkis View Post
So far I have had this thing 24 hours, during which I "purchased" 3 things I didn't want by total accident.

My 3G signal is very weak making me wonder why I paid extra for it.

Is it normal for the pages to turn "dark" as I turn them?

Help me love it or its leaving.
You should contact Amazon about the books you bought accidentally. They're pretty good about issuing refunds for e-books you don't want (or so I've heard). On your Kindle, there should be a screen immediately after you purchase a book that asks if you'd like to undo the purchase. (That's not how it's worded, but that's the gist of it.) In the future, look for that and you'll be able to undo your accidental purchases.

Yes, the page turning dark is normal. All eInk devices do that. It's the nature of the technology. The Kindle has the highest refresh rate among e-readers, though, so you won't find one with a faster page turn. (I think the newer Sony Reader shares the technology, so the page turns may be as fast on that device, but you're not going to find faster on an eInk screen.)

As TheKindleWorm said, The 3G version of the Kindle 3 also has wifi, so if you've got a wifi connection, you're going to be fine.

I doubt anyone could say anything that would make you change your mind 100%, but I think that if you compare it to other devices, and read up on the technology and what the Kindle can do, you'll look at the Kindle a little differently.

Last edited by bhartman36; 01-05-2011 at 03:48 PM.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I'm sorry that you've been having problems with your Kindle.

Regarding 3G signal strength, I mentioned in one of your other threads that I didn't have a very strong (or reliable) 3G signal at first, despite being well within the coverage area on the maps. Be sure to call Amazon about that. Their technicians checked out my problem, did some magic from their end, and my 3G signal has been excellent ever since!

While you have them on the phone, you can tell them about the unintended purchases. They may be willing to give you a one-time refund. Obviously, you need to figure out how you're accidentally purchasing books, so you don't keep doing that. If we can help you with that, please let us know.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
First, you can go to the amazon website and set your spending limits to $0.00 if you want to prevent purchases from the Kindle itself and prevent "accidental" purchases.
Is this really correct? Because on the UK version of the Manage Your Kindle page in the Kindle Store, you can set your limit for personal documents which are emailed to your kindle to £0.00 - but changing this does not control your spending on Amazon or actually purchasing eBooks.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I would turn off the wireless if I were you. It drains battery and the experience of shopping for books on a computer is so much easier and smoother. I don't think I've bought a single book with my Kindle (although I have the option) I buy them on my laptop and thereafter transfer them to my Kindle.

I think you will find it useful once you get over the first barrier. If this is your first reader it is something new and unaccustomed that's going to take more than 24 hours to get used to and appreciate.

After you've read a whole book on the Kindle and you're still not happy you should return it.

Hope it works out for you.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl
First, you can go to the amazon website and set your spending limits to $0.00 if you want to prevent purchases from the Kindle itself and prevent "accidental" purchases.
Oh so not true and patently false.
If you don't understand how things work, you shouldn't advise anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm
Is this really correct? Because on the UK version of the Manage Your Kindle page in the Kindle Store, you can set your limit for personal documents which are emailed to your kindle to £0.00 - but changing this does not control your spending on Amazon or actually purchasing eBooks.
Screwballl is not correct KindleWorm. You are correct.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:01 PM   #9
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
I've accidentally hit the page turn keys while shifting around as I'm reading, so I'm glad it's a bit more obvious than the text immediately changing. The delay is still as fast or faster than turning physical pages of a book.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Coming from the Irex Iliad before I bought a Kindle I can confirm that the Kindles page turning is very fast and I haven't noticed that it turns black. I could imagine this being the case with a really heavy page, perhaps with a PDF that is not text but rendered as a picture.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
You may not be able to set your spending limit to $0, but you can remove your credit card info/disable one-click ordering thus ending your accidental purchasing.
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
EBook readers aren't everyone's cup of tea. If you don't like it, I'd suggest taking advantage of Amazon's generous returns policy and send it back. Give it a fair trial first, though.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
screwballl
NewKindler
screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.screwballl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Oh so not true and patently false.
If you don't understand how things work, you shouldn't advise anyone.

Screwballl is not correct KindleWorm. You are correct.
Diap, please stop confusing people. I have it set that way on my account and I am not able to purchase anything from my Kindle... sorry once again you are wrong Diap.

Turn off the 1-click option on your kindle account page and you will not be able to purchase books from your kindle.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/fiona/manage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
You may not be able to set your spending limit to $0, but you can remove your credit card info/disable one-click ordering thus ending your accidental purchasing.
Thank you, someone else knows the facts.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl
Diap, please stop confusing people. I have it set that way on my account and I am not able to purchase anything from my Kindle... sorry once again you are wrong Diap.
I stand corrected, screwball... and I bow to your fictitious wisdom. I certainly would want to confuse anyone.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #15
screwballl
NewKindler

Weren't you banned under another name for the same type of trolling? Your attitude and comments all come through with the exact style of rudeness and lies expressed from the other account...

FACT: remove your credit card from the 1-click on amazon website or calling them and you will be unable to purchase anything on your Kindle device, at least not without re-entering your CC info again.