Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #76
Ankaa
Enthusiast
Ankaa began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Scion, thank you again!!! That helped alot (although I'm still not quite sure wether I can uninstall Softkeys after doing the auto-root, don't think I'll need them. If I simply disable them in the settings, they won't show at all, will they?)

I have one more question. What is the difference between the two "Reset"-ways descriped on the Nookdevs-Site (this and this.

And if I do a factory reset, do I have to register my NC again or is it still registered until I unregister it in settings?
Ankaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:47 PM   #77
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
ankaa, yes you will have to register again. I'll leave the other questions to the expert.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 12:19 AM   #78
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankaa View Post
Scion, thank you again!!! That helped alot (although I'm still not quite sure wether I can uninstall Softkeys after doing the auto-root, don't think I'll need them. If I simply disable them in the settings, they won't show at all, will they?) You need SoftKeys or something similar if you want to be able to access menus for some apps. Some have uninstalled SoftKeys and replaced it with Button Savior (free in Market).

I have one more question. What is the difference between the two "Reset"-ways descriped on the Nookdevs-Site (this and this.
Quote:
The following UN ROOTS your nook color. http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_UnRooting It does not un-install all your modifications and apps. If you want to return your nook color to the out-of-the-box condition, follow the instructions at Flash back to clean stock ROM.
http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM

And if I do a factory reset, do I have to register my NC again or is it still registered until I unregister it in settings? You want to unregister it first. Then when you re-register it you won't have a problem. If you don't unregister it first, you'll have to call B&N tech support because your device will still be registered.
You're welcome.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:38 PM   #79
Ankaa
Enthusiast

Thanks again!

I'm afraid I'm still a bit confused. So if I do the one way I unroot but still got my Apps and things, could I still use the apps or are they simply there as files?
Is unregistering essentially necessary for a complete unroot (with deinstallation of Apps and configurations and stuff, as descripted in the second way)? I understand, that one need to unregister to set it back to factory thingy.
My concern is, that - as I'm not living in the US - that I won't be able to re-register after unrooting/factory-reset (although I'm aware that it says on the B&N site, that one is able to register from outside the US....just being worried that it might not work) which would suck, as I have magazine subscriptions.

And I got one more question. When rooted, is there a good file explorer on the device which enabels you to transfer data from the microSD-card onto the NC?

It says on nookdevs, that I need a Gmail/youtube account. As I have the former I don't have the latter. Is a youtube-account essential for rooting or is only having a Gmail account enough?

One last thing. After rooting, could I re-format the microSD card and use it just as a normal microSD card or does it get unusabel because of rooting?

I understand that SCION is suspended at the moment and not able to respond But maybe some of you other guys could help me? Please

Last edited by Ankaa; 01-08-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #80
kblair210
Enthusiast
kblair210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Does anyone know how to get back to where pressing the home button would bring up the menu choice asking which launcher you wanted to use? It seems my daughter was playing with my nook and knew enough to press home to get to the books, and then I'd told her to pick the right one from there.. but it seems she must have checked off the box for making it the default going forward. I can now switch with the HomeSwitcher app, but I can't seem to find where to remove the default action so it asks each time. I've tried removing ADW and reinstalling and that didn't work.

Ankaa - You can't just reformat the microSD card, you'll need to remove the partition that was created from the image, and then format it. Otherwise you're stuck with a (40 mb?) small chunk of your microSD card and the rest wasted. I believe as part of the autonooter process, there's a step for doing that included but I can't remember now. If you're not familiar enough with partitioning and formatting, just let Google do the walking. It's the same as doing it on a hdd.
kblair210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2011, 02:51 AM   #81
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by kblair210 View Post
Does anyone know how to get back to where pressing the home button would bring up the menu choice asking which launcher you wanted to use?
Sure.

1. With ADW installed, use home switcher to set ADW as the default.

2. Then, launch the NookColor Tools app, tap 'All Settings', tap 'Manage applications', tap 'ADW.Launcher'. Under the 'Launch by Default' section, there should be a 'clear defaults' button. Tap that.

Now your Nook should prompt you when you select the home button.
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:01 AM   #82
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Quote:
When rooted, is there a good file explorer on the device which enabels you to transfer data from the microSD-card onto the NC?
There isn't one that comes stock, you'll need to download one from the Market. There are several recommended in the suggested app thread. I own a few myself, but tend to use Astro the most. But you might also find that you tend to just leave the SD card in the Nook and use apps that read their data from the card. I almost never transfer files from the SD card to the Nook and back.

Quote:
It says on nookdevs, that I need a Gmail/youtube account. As I have the former I don't have the latter. Is a youtube-account essential for rooting or is only having a Gmail account enough?
I believe a youtube account linked to your gmail account (same login) is currently essential for getting the marketplace to work.

Quote:
One last thing. After rooting, could I re-format the microSD card and use it just as a normal microSD card or does it get unusabel because of rooting?
Yes, you can reformat it and should. Most PCs will have trouble formating it correctly. Use your Nook to format it (From the center home button: Settings, Device Info, SD Card, Unmount SD card, Format SD card).
Old 01-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #83
Ankaa
Enthusiast

Thanks again!

I got an urgent question and hopes somebody could help me. I'm in the middle of wanting to write the SD-card. I'm using a Mac and so far did everything as descriped by nookdevs. I downloaded the file, unzipped it and unmounted the card.

But hell, I don't know WHERE I have to put the image-file?

When doing the next step in terminal, it says that no such file *image-file-name* exists.

Oh and is it correct, that there are two partitions in the image? It doesn't say ANYTHING about that on the nookdevs site. One is called AutoNooter and the other is Nooterfiles.

Hope for quick help

Last edited by Ankaa; 01-09-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 03:08 PM   #84
kblair210
Enthusiast
kblair210 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
Sure.

1. With ADW installed, use home switcher to set ADW as the default.

2. Then, launch the NookColor Tools app, tap 'All Settings', tap 'Manage applications', tap 'ADW.Launcher'. Under the 'Launch by Default' section, there should be a 'clear defaults' button. Tap that.

Now your Nook should prompt you when you select the home button.
This worked, thank you!
kblair210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:29 PM   #85
Ankaa
Enthusiast

I managed to write the SD card (had to give the full path in terminal) but this 2 Paritions thing really bugs me. I really would love to hear, that this is alright before putting the thing in my NC.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:24 PM   #86
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
I managed to write the SD card (had to give the full path in terminal) but this 2 Paritions thing really bugs me. I really would love to hear, that this is alright before putting the thing in my NC.
Here's your answer:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=2
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #87
Ankaa
Enthusiast

Thanks again for all your help.

Managed to root successfully. Except, that Gmail isn't working? It says "Application is not installed on your NookColor"

€dit: Honestly....but after rebooting Gmail is just working fine.

Thanks again

Just one more thing. When installed Astro Manager...can I simply transfer files between the microSD and the Nook or do I need to do this

Last edited by Ankaa; 01-09-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM   #88
zartemis
Addict

Quote:
Just one more thing. When installed Astro Manager...can I simply transfer files between the microSD and the Nook or do I need to do this
You only need Root Explorer or to set the system partition to read-write if you want to change system files.

If you just want to move media files (e.g. music files, images) from your SD card to the /media/My Files folders on the Nook internal memory, then Astro will work fine. Use the 'Edit' button to copy files, then navigate to the internal storage and paste them.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:21 PM   #89
ShadowDragon
Enthusiast
ShadowDragon has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

You could also use WiFi File Explorer and be done with the sync cable.
ShadowDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #90
roger_15
Enthusiast
roger_15 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 3G/NookColor
I'm assuming I can ask my own questions here, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I auto-nootered my NC last night but not much more. I did install Angry Birds
and that went okay but I must have missed something because I can't find it
anywhere on the NC in the traditional sense of the word. I can do a search
and find it...and play it.

The afore mentioned problem is obviously part of something I did, or didn't do,
and I would like to fix it. But I could take this a bit further and get some suggestions
of things I need to install.

I have no idea what is good or bad or even useful in Android. My goal for now
is to keep it simple at least until I get more familiar with a rooted NC.

I would like to get a backup program that could be used to restore after an
update so I would like to hear something about that. If you want to just point
me to a good thread that would be okay. My problem is that some info is dated
and I don't want to do something meant for older hardware. I am at 1.0.1.

Thanks for reading this. I know, everyone has a problem. lol
roger_15 is offline   Reply With Quote