Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
.cbz and .cbr files on the nook color

What will be the best way to view these on the new nook color. Ideally, ACV will be available in the app store, but until then, what would be the best way to convert them?

Will Calibre have a nook color profile when it launches?
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
This is the thing that may get me to buy the nook color. If there is a comics app and cbz and cbr support I will order one today.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
If B&N is smart, they'll provide support for comics and make deals with publishers. That would be a huge selling point for the Nook Color.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks
You should be able to just disable the conversion to black and white in the current Nook profile on Calibre. It's a checkbox under the Comic Input section of the conversion wizard. I'm converting a CBR to color PDF right now to see how well it comes out. ETA: I realize the Nook Color screen is a bit bigger than the Nook Classic's, so it won't be perfect, but it's an option.

Another option might be to just make copies of the comic files and unzip them to individual images, assuming Nook Color has a decent image viewer.
Nahgem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
Nahgem
Groupie
Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nahgem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, done. Disabling the B&W conversion seems to work great. Without a zoom function it's going to be hard to read though, unless the lighting in the room is really good. So, while it's an option, it's not likely to be the best one.

Is one of the other device profiles close enough to the screen size of the Nook Color to use? I don't know enough about them off the top of my head.
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I was hoping that the generic tablet profile would work, but it always crashes. I don't mind converting to epub as long as they fill the screen. Any luck converting .cbr/.cbz to pdf? If that were possible, then maybe pinch zoom could be used (hopefully).
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Nahgem
Groupie

Really? I've done tablet PDFs before and they worked fine for me. It's not that hard to convert a normal PDF outside of Calibre though. You just have to rename the CBZ/CBR extensions to .zip and .rar respectively, unzip them so they're individual images, and then send those images to a PDF printer. There's a more in-depth conversion tutorial here.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #8
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I use ComicRack to manage my digital comic collection and it has a pretty good converter that includes PDF as an option. I've used it in the past and it works really well. My main question is how the NookColor handles the files. I tried out the device today at B&N and noticed that it handles magazines really well, but looking online has shown me that PDF support isn't quite as smooth an experience. Does anyone know what format the magazine come in? Does anyone else have thoughts on the PDF support?
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
mad5427
mad5427 doesn't littermad5427 doesn't litter

Device: Color Nook
I use Jomic to convert my .cbz and .cbr files into pdf files. They load perfectly onto the machine and are BEAUTIFUL! The screen really does the books justice.

Seriously, the pdf comic files look amazing on the nook color. It's easy to flip through the pages. You can finger swipe zoom in and out.

I open Jomic, go to the convert choice under file, select all the books I want to convert and select a save location. It batch converts and then I just load them into a folder on the color nook.
mad5427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
brandorf
brandorf began at the beginning.

Device: Nook / Nook Color
Calibre's current Nook color profile does not seem to work for cbr -> ePub. The PDF conversion works, however I wasn't terribly impressed, by default it crops/resizes all the images to fit the screen, which defeats the point if we are able to zoom in/out. I'd say try the other tools in this thread.
brandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
brandorf
brandorf began at the beginning.

Device: Nook / Nook Color
Tried it again using ComicRack to make the PDF The results look good, however the 'fit to screen' and 'fit width' buttons seems to be finicky as to when they work, if at all. Three different comics converted, but only one of them seems to re-size properly when used.

It will get you by, but a dedicated reader application would do wonders.
brandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
nook1220
nook1220 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I've got a Nook Color and I can tell you mad5427 got the recipe right. Use Jomic to batch convert your .cbz and .cbr files to PDF files. Load 'em on the Nook Color and they are gorgeous! You can pinch and zoom to enlarge the pages for easier reading (or just use the zoom in / zoom out buttons), you can use your finger to move pages around on the screen (very smooth movement), you can swipe to go to the next page, you can turn the Nook horizontal to view panoramic panels, there's a button for "fit to screen" and a button for "fit to width" which optimizes panel sizes. Only drawback -- it won't display the actual covers when you import them into your bookshelf, you just get a generic gray box with text. You'd think the ebook reader app would recognize "page 1" of the PDF file as the cover, but it doesn't. There may be a way to fix that, but I haven't figured it out yet.
nook1220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 AM   #13
Dawdler
Enthusiast
Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dawdler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color, Kindle 3
thanks for all the info I'm days away from my Nook Color and I need my comic book fix, so I'll try what has been suggested
Dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
woz77
woz77 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
jomic on win7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook1220 View Post
I've got a Nook Color and I can tell you mad5427 got the recipe right. Use Jomic to batch convert your .cbz and .cbr files to PDF files. Load 'em on the Nook Color and they are gorgeous! You can pinch and zoom to enlarge the pages for easier reading (or just use the zoom in / zoom out buttons), you can use your finger to move pages around on the screen (very smooth movement), you can swipe to go to the next page, you can turn the Nook horizontal to view panoramic panels, there's a button for "fit to screen" and a button for "fit to width" which optimizes panel sizes. Only drawback -- it won't display the actual covers when you import them into your bookshelf, you just get a generic gray box with text. You'd think the ebook reader app would recognize "page 1" of the PDF file as the cover, but it doesn't. There may be a way to fix that, but I haven't figured it out yet.
I cant get the jomic web app to launch or the installation process to complete on my win7 laptop. What's the secret? I'm using jjcomic viewer but am interested in jomic given the rave reviews. Thanks!
woz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
Elric
Elric began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
If you're rooted, check out ACV (Android Comics Viewer). It reads cbz/cbr directly.
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote