Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 07-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #31
KindaFarty
KindaFarty began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
RSS Feed instead of Index.xml?

After generating my calibre2opds library (in Dropbox, Public, Catalog folder), when I go to view the index page (index.xml), it shows an RSS feed instead of the book catalog.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

I've had the same result with several versions of calibre2opds.
KindaFarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #32
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
index.xml is the rss feed.

index.html is the web index.

.xml is a file extension referring to, well, XML content instead of HTML.

You are doing everything right. You just aren't doing what you think you are doing.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #33
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As was mentioned you use the .html file for a catalog that is to be viewed using a browser. The .xml file is the OPDS catalog file for use with an OPDs compatible reader app.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 05:22 PM   #34
KindaFarty
KindaFarty began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
index.xml is the rss feed.

index.html is the web index.

.xml is a file extension referring to, well, XML content instead of HTML.

You are doing everything right. You just aren't doing what you think you are doing.
D'oh! Thanks for the quick reply. I simply had the "don't generate html" box ticked. I knew it was going to be something obvious.

Much appreciated.
KindaFarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #35
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Calibre2OPDS Fields

I have questions about a couple of the option fields.

1. I'm trying to limit my catalog to only those books I have not read. I have a custom column in Calibre titled Read. I also have a custom search named NotRead that searches "#read:false". This saved search works great in Calibre. So, in Calibre2OPDS I have "Saved:NotRead" in the Main Catalog Filter field, expecting it to limit the catalog to only those books that show in Calibre when I run that search. That's not happening. I still get a catalog that contains all my books, read and unread. Am I doing something wrong? Can I have a search that uses a Calibre custom column?

2. I don't understand what Book Details are. Is that the blurb that pops up when selecting the "..." to the right of the listing entry? If so, then I don't see all the stuff that I ask Calibre2OPDS to include. I have Tags selected to be included in in details but they don't show.

I'm running Calibre2OPDS ver 3.4 rev 305 on a Mac. Thanks again for a great product.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:31 AM   #36
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Move post to Calibre2opds v3.4 thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:27 AM   #37
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I have questions about a couple of the option fields.

1. I'm trying to limit my catalog to only those books I have not read. I have a custom column in Calibre titled Read. I also have a custom search named NotRead that searches "#read:false". This saved search works great in Calibre. So, in Calibre2OPDS I have "Saved:NotRead" in the Main Catalog Filter field, expecting it to limit the catalog to only those books that show in Calibre when I run that search. That's not happening. I still get a catalog that contains all my books, read and unread. Am I doing something wrong? Can I have a search that uses a Calibre custom column?
At the moment custom fields cannot be included in the search criteria.

It is something that I would like to add, but I find the way that the search part of Calibre2opds is coded using ANTLR which is something I am not familiar with. Unfortunately the person who originally wrote the search facility is not longer active in Calibre2opds development so cannot be consulted for guidance. I think I will pick up a reference book on ANTLR to see if I can work out what needs doing to extending the syntax to handle custom column names/

Quote:
2. I don't understand what Book Details are. Is that the blurb that pops up when selecting the "..." to the right of the listing entry? If so, then I don't see all the stuff that I ask Calibre2OPDS to include. I have Tags selected to be included in in details but they don't show.
The Book Details are the page that shows up in a calibre2opds catalog when you select a particular book from the list of books.

If you have the tags selected to be shown in the calibre2opds configuration page then the should be visible in that page for the book in question. It should be similar to that shown in the part of the Calibre GUI that you mention. A screen shot of the calibre2opds page and the equivalent from Calibre itself showing a mismatch might give a clue. There may be a bug that needs further investigation.

Quote:
I'm running Calibre2OPDS ver 3.4 rev 305 on a Mac. Thanks again for a great product.
That is the latest build that is available. I do not personally have a Mac for testing on, but hopefully Calibre2opds should perform identically to other platforms.

Last edited by itimpi; 09-29-2014 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #38
pufff
Enthusiast
pufff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
suddenly stopped working

Hi there! I've been happily using Calibre2opds for what seems a long time now. Suddenly it shuts down when it starts to generate catalogues (loads books ok). I've upgraded to most recent version and deleted the most recent books in case one of them was causing a problem but still no joy. When upgrading I used the zip file and put it on top of the old version and opted to "copy and replace" files. Still no joy. I'm not computer literate so simple ideas only please! Thanks for your help! ps large library!
pufff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 09:28 AM   #39
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pufff View Post
Hi there! I've been happily using Calibre2opds for what seems a long time now. Suddenly it shuts down when it starts to generate catalogues (loads books ok). I've upgraded to most recent version and deleted the most recent books in case one of them was causing a problem but still no joy. When upgrading I used the zip file and put it on top of the old version and opted to "copy and replace" files. Still no joy. I'm not computer literate so simple ideas only please! Thanks for your help! ps large library!
Not sure what might be your issue.

You may get more information if you open a DOS Command Window, change to the folder where Calibre2opds has been installed and then issuing the 'rungui' command. This may allow you to see any error messages in the DOS command window.

When you say the 'latest' release, exactly what do you mean by that. It is useful to quote both the release and revision you are using.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:31 PM   #40
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I've several updates recently. I'm glad to see this still being developed. I just wanted to say thank you.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:36 PM   #41
cyana
Enthusiast
cyana began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi itimpi,

long time no see
just updated to 3.4 on win7x64, however it does not launch. The batch file runs through, the cmd window closes, and that's all what happens. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Cyana
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:50 AM   #42
itimpi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyana View Post
Hi itimpi,

long time no see
just updated to 3.4 on win7x64, however it does not launch. The batch file runs through, the cmd window closes, and that's all what happens. Any suggestions?

Thank you
Cyana
Nothing obvious springs to mind! I regularly run in that environment myself.

I assume you picked up the latest build (rev 318) available for download? I always like to check as sometimes people pick up older ones, and at one point there was a fault that could cause the symptoms you describe.

If you attempt to start Calibre2opds from a DOS command Window using the RunGUI' command you may well get a chance to see any error messages that get lost when trying to start it from a menu entry. It is also possible to edit the rungui.cmd file (it is a text file) to replace the JAVAW command with a plain JAVA command which always leaves a cmd window open for the duration of the run to help with seeing JAVA level error messages.

Also, if calibre2opds got launched but then failed to bring up the gui then there may be something useful written to the log file (in the .calibre2opds/logs folder under your user area).

Another thing to try (which I do not think should really be needed any more) is to set the permissions on the Calibre2opds install folder to full access. There have been cases where the sqlite library used by Calibre2opds tries to create a temporary file there. I thought that the latest builds stopped this happening, but it is always possible I am wrong.

Let me know if any of those suggestions get you any further.
Old 11-09-2014, 05:41 AM   #43
cyana
Enthusiast
cyana began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Hi itimpi,

thanks for your swift reply. I've launched rungui from the cmd window, however no obvious error occures:

Quote:
c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo Calibre2opds startup
Calibre2opds startup

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo ====================
====================

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _C2O=OpdsOutput-3.4-SNAPSHOT.jar

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _CD=c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo [INFO] Current Directory: c:\Program Fi
les (x86)\Calibre2Opds
[INFO] Current Directory: c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _JAVAPROG=JAVAW.EXE

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>if "" == "-enableassertions" set _JAVAPROG=J
AVA.EXE

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>REM The following is used to determine free
RAM

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>REM (we want to use this as a basis for giv
ing the JVM

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>REM more RAM on systems with plenty free).

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>for /F "skip=1" %p in ('wmic os get freephys
icalmemory') do (
set m=%p
goto freemem_done
)

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>(
set m=13303200
goto freemem_done
)

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo '
'

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo Free RAM: 13303200
Free RAM: 13303200

'

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo [INFO] Trying to locate Java on this s
ystem
[INFO] Trying to locate Java on this system

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo [INFO] ===============================
=====
[INFO] ====================================

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>REM See if JAVA_HOME specifies location of J
ava (prefered method)

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>if "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_02" == ""
goto not_javahome

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>if not exist "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0
_02\bin\JAVAW.EXE" goto not_javahome

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _JAVACMD=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_
02\bin\JAVAW.EXE

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo [INFO] Java found via JAVA_HOME evironm
ent variable [C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_02]
[INFO] Java found via JAVA_HOME evironment variable [C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.
7.0_02]

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>goto run_c2o

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>REM The next few lines are to help with runn
ing in Portable mode with minimal user setup required

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>if NOT "" == "" goto start_c2o

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>if NOT exist Calibre2OpdsConfig goto start_c
2o

'

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo "-----------------------"
"-----------------------"

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo " Calibre2Opds STARTING "
" Calibre2Opds STARTING "

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>echo "-----------------------"
"-----------------------"

'

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>D:

D:\>cd "D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp"

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>echo [INFO] Current directory set to D:\Users
\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp
[INFO] Current directory set to D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>if not "" == "-enableassertions" goto no_asse
rtions

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>REM Start the GUI in normal mode as a separat
e process and close this batch file

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>echo [INFO] START "Calibre2Opds" "C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_02\bin\JAVAW.EXE" -cp "c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds
/*" -jar "c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds/OpdsOutput-3.4-SNAPSHOT.jar" Gui
[INFO] START "Calibre2Opds" "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_02\bin\JAVAW.EXE"
-cp "c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds/*" -jar "c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre
2Opds/OpdsOutput-3.4-SNAPSHOT.jar" Gui

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>echo '
'

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>START "Calibre2Opds" "C:\Program Files\Java\j
dk1.7.0_02\bin\JAVAW.EXE" -Xms128m -Xmx512m -cp "c:\Program Files (x86)\Calib
re2Opds/*" -jar "c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds/OpdsOutput-3.4-SNAPSHOT.jar
" Gui

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>REM Clear down all the environment variables
we (might have) used

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>REM ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

D:\Users\Mischa\AppData\Local\Temp>c:

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds"

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _CD=

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _JAVACMD=

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _JAVAPROG=

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _C2O=

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _C2O_JAVAOPT=

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _MYVAR1=

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _MYVAR2=

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>set _MYKEY=

c:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2Opds>
Reinstalled 3.2 (the last version with win installer.exe) however same result. No logfile is written, seems that java is not even launched (?)

best greetings and thanks
Cyana
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:12 AM   #44
itimpi
Wizard

The installer.exe program has proved very unreliable on the more recent versions of Windows. which is why is not being released at the moment. Unfortunately the author of IzPack (the packaging software used) does not seem to have updated this for newer Windows versions. You can always install Calibre2opds by simply unzipping the .ZIP version of Calibre2Opds to a location of your choice and then running the RUNGUI.CMD file.

Interesting looking at the output you gave - it looks like that batch file has the ECHO OFF statement at the start commented out (you normally get less verbose output) but that does not really matter as the window does not hang around.

The output you give shows that JAVA was launched (the START command near the end). However it is using the JAVAW.EXE program which tries to start in a new process so you do not see any JAVA error messages after that point. You could edit the file and replace the JAVAW.EXE near the start with JAVA.EXE which might give more output at the expense of leaving a Window hanging around while JAVA is running.

Also the output shows that it looks like you did try to launch Calibre2opds via JAVAW, so this means there is a good chance that some useful diagnostic output was written to the lCalibre2opds log file. This is probably located at
C:\users\your-user-name\.calibre2opds\logs
on Windows 7 (you may have to set Explorer to show hidden files to see this location).
Old 11-09-2014, 08:42 AM   #45
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
[Minor suggestion]: Why not update the launcher batch file to use the "SETLOCAL" command. This would remove the need to clear environment variables.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote