Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #21751
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Somewhat miffed that I've stayed home all day because according to UPS my Kindle should be delivered by the end of the day today. Officially they still have over an hour but I don't expect them to be still working this late on New Year's Eve. Also, the status hasn't been updated in 21 hours, when it left the US. I expect my package is sitting in some airport hangar, waiting to be processed by customs. Hopefully it'll get here on Wednesday. Still it isn't late, Amazon still says it'll arrive on the 2nd on their website and their Android app even says it'll be here on the 3rd.

Here's hoping it still shows up today!

Sometimes they deliver very late here this time of year...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #21752
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Is it actually out for delivery, or is it 'stuck in customs' like in Canada?
It could be worse, it could be Stuck In Canada!
Old 12-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #21753
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Is it actually out for delivery, or is it 'stuck in customs' like in Canada?
It still says "export scan", now almost for 24 hours. I assume that means it's on it's way to Europe (either Germany or Amsterdam). Because there haven't been any updates since I assume it's waiting to be scanned in at customs now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post

Here's hoping it still shows up today!

Sometimes they deliver very late here this time of year...
Nah, UPS normally delivers until around 7pm in the Netherlands, but in the inner city, because they assume nobody actually lives there, deliveries are until 5 pm. In the Netherlands most companies close their doors early if New Year's Eve is on a business day.

It's just annoying that I had to stay home all day (sister at work and my parents were doing their usually Monday stuff) in the livingroom (can't hear the doorbell in my bedroom or in the store). Also, today and tomorrow I don't have to work, if it'll stay as busy as it was in the past weeks I know I won't have much energy to spend quality time getting to know my new Kindle until Sunday.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #21754
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Well after doing a little reading I can finally put a face to California's stubborn refusal to legalize ferrets as pets:

Back in 2004 the State Assembly actually managed to pass a bill decriminalizing them... which the Governator promptly vetoed.

Come on California. Ferrets simply cannot survive in the wild long enough to pose any serious threat the the ecology. They're too domesticated.

Last edited by Dylrob; 01-01-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 AM   #21755
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
Speaking of deliveries. A Mainfreight delivery guy banged on the door at work on New Years Eve. After finding someone there he wanted to deliver to the office as the warehouse was closed. He balanced the first three boxes out of 12 in his arms and right in front of me dropped them on the pavement.
The bottles of coconut oil didn't survive. The supplier issued a credit but the freight guy didn't even blink. No apology.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #21756
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

DHL is very notorious for damaging packaging here. The problem is that you often don't have to sign for packages anymore. Having a store makes it harder to check for damages and confront them when they are delivering packages, because they just leave it on the counter. Last year my order from Lush was delivered in a Zalando box, the Lush box was torn and was missing half of the items I'd ordered. I notified Lush (and sent them pictures) and got the missing items but I do hope they contacted DHL about it. Mind you, PostNL/TNT is notorious for losing packages. The only two we never had any problems with are FedEx and UPS, but they are small in the Netherlands.

My Kindle is still in transit and the last update is still the export scan in Louisville. I would keep my fingers crossed but that just isn't practical with typing and eating and such.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:15 AM   #21757
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

At the moment I'm feeling like I have a cold without having a cold; it feels like my brain has been replaced with cotton wool, my ears are ringing, my eyes are burning and I've got muscle aches. All without having a blocked/running nose and/or a sore throat. I think my body might be telling me that after several stressful and chaotic weeks I should take it easy.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #21758
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Calling the Doctor,I think the walking pneumonia is back.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #21759
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
At the moment I'm feeling like I have a cold without having a cold; it feels like my brain has been replaced with cotton wool, my ears are ringing, my eyes are burning and I've got muscle aches. All without having a blocked/running nose and/or a sore throat. I think my body might be telling me that after several stressful and chaotic weeks I should take it easy.
Welcome to my life.

Sorry you aren't feeling your chipper self. Take care, sounds like a cold/virus - aspirin, chicken soup and rest!
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #21760
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nah; I think it would be cured via the use of a Kindle for a few hours
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #21761
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Welcome to my life.

Sorry you aren't feeling your chipper self. Take care, sounds like a cold/virus - aspirin, chicken soup and rest!
The last couple of weeks I've had an almost-cold which never developed into a real cold, so that is partially it I think. My right jaw is also very sore and when my right jaw, ear or (when I still had it) wisdom tooth hurts is usually means I'm stressed. Plus I haven't slept well for a couple of nights.

I've just done some retail therapy and now I'm going to make a late lunch and curl up with my Kindle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Nah; I think it would be cured via the use of a Kindle for a few hours
Yes, especially if it would be my new Kindle which still hasn't arrived . On Sunday it went through the export scan, so I assumed it was on it's way, this morning it went through the export scan again in the US and a couple of hours later though the departure scan. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #21762
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
So - last year our company decided to change health insurance carriers ....

And - we had a mandatory meeting of all employees to explain the upcoming change ...

In which - we said over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over, etc. - you WON'T get new insurance cards right away

So - DON'T schedule anything during the first week of January, 2013 -
because you WON'T have your new cards.

So - refill your prescriptions before Dec. 31, 2012 -

Well -

Today is Jan.2 - and guess what? We don't have our new insurance cards.

And ....

My boss informs me this morning that his wife has scheduled an elective colonoscopy today at noon .... and asks me for her card .....

And, so far, two employees have called me from drug stores where they are having problems refilling their prescriptions.... any guesses why?

I really want to paint a large banner and hang it in my office doorway:

IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM! YOU'RE STUPID! WE TOLD YOU SO LAST YEAR!

Dare to dream ....
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #21763
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
So - last year our company decided to change health insurance carriers ....

And - we had a mandatory meeting of all employees to explain the upcoming change ...

In which - we said over & over & over & over & over & over & over & over, etc. - you WON'T get new insurance cards right away

So - DON'T schedule anything during the first week of January, 2013 -

So - refill your prescriptions before Dec. 31, 2012 -

Well -

Today is Jan.2 - and guess what? We don't have our new insurance cards.

And ....

My boss informs me this morning that his wife has scheduled an elective colonoscopy today at noon .... and asks me for her card .....

And, so far, two employees have called me from drug stores where they are having problems refilling their prescriptions.... any guesses why?

I really want to paint a large banner and hang it in my office doorway:

IT'S NOT MY PROBLEM! YOU'RE STUPID! WE TOLD YOU SO LAST YEAR!

Dare to dream ....
People are idiots. You'd think that they would take care with their health care issues. I guess my question though would be what about emergencies. Seems that would have to be covered somehow? Do they need to call the provider (Aetna, BlueCross, whatever). Surely they are not uncovered are they?
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #21764
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Hubby had to email me a copy of the insurance card today so I could go to the Doctor. Emergency visit due to a reoccurance of this stupid cough. Nothing we could do about the timing.

But I get your point, people were not suppose to schedule appointments for this week or fill prescriptions and screwed that up.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #21765
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Yeah - emergencies are covered - with a phone call. Other elective stuff was supposed to wait. Sigh .... happens every year - and it's usually the boss & his family that feel that the rules don't apply to them.

[end of rant]

Hope you're doing better Prof - I've been battling a chronic cough this season too.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness