Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 AM   #286
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTots View Post
I was wondering if there is anyway to convert amazon ebooks to epub format? I know they have a DRM. Thanks.
Google "Apprentice Alf" for DRM and take a look in the Calibre forums for format conversion.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #287
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasa1 View Post
Thank you Sharkus! Your information was very helpful (and for me, has certainly upped the fun, and broadened my reading scope!)

Was wondering if you have any idea what's wrong with my classic attack award.. i've tried downloading and reading the five mentioned books over and over, and it's stuck at 80% and i've no idea how to get it to finish! i know there's someone else on the forum with the same issue.. it would be wonderful to get the award, finally! If you've any ideas, i'd be really grateful!

Many thanks! And Happy Reading!
iOS or Touch? I'm iOS so not totally sure on why it would not be working on the Touch. It is a client side award, meaning there is code in the app itself to calculate when it is awarded.
One thing to take into account is that this award previously relied on the five bundled books that shipped with the iOS app ("Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "Dracula" by Bram Stoker, "Adventures of Hucklyberry Finn" by Mark Twain, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll, "Grimms' Fairy Tales" by The Brothers Grimm). These are not bundled any longer, so you would need to add them to your Library. They are free, and I'm fairly sure links to them on the store have been posted earlier in this thread.
You would probably need to read them to completion, ie; tap on the "Close this book" button at the end of the book.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #288
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
iOS or Touch? I'm iOS so not totally sure on why it would not be working on the Touch. It is a client side award, meaning there is code in the app itself to calculate when it is awarded.
One thing to take into account is that this award previously relied on the five bundled books that shipped with the iOS app ("Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen, "Dracula" by Bram Stoker, "Adventures of Hucklyberry Finn" by Mark Twain, "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland" by Lewis Carroll, "Grimms' Fairy Tales" by The Brothers Grimm). These are not bundled any longer, so you would need to add them to your Library. They are free, and I'm fairly sure links to them on the store have been posted earlier in this thread.
You would probably need to read them to completion, ie; tap on the "Close this book" button at the end of the book.
It should also be noted that the Classic Attack award is only available for iOS.

I posted links to what should be the exact editions needed for the award, here they are again:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Alice...b_g/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-A...U-A/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Dracu...7Ug/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Grimm...WUQ/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Pride...Zlg/page1.html

Hope that helps,
Charles
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:54 PM   #289
sarasa1
Enthusiast
sarasa1 began at the beginning.

Device: KT and iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
i did mean on the iOS. I have read all those five books and closed them at the end.. and nothing.. it did it for the first 4 books, but not the fifth, and i'm not even sure which one is now missing! :S Is there any way of finding out? Or of resetting the award, so i can start fresh and work it out again?
sarasa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:56 PM   #290
sarasa1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanyouthink View Post
It should also be noted that the Classic Attack award is only available for iOS.

I posted links to what should be the exact editions needed for the award, here they are again:

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Alice...b_g/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-A...U-A/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Dracu...7Ug/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Grimm...WUQ/page1.html

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Pride...Zlg/page1.html

Hope that helps,
Charles

Thanks for the links again.. i've double checked and i've read those five.. i think i deleted them when i first downloaded the app, and so i redownloaded these books and 4 out of 5 worked when i emailed kobo they have tried to be helpful, but they've asked me all the obvious things, which i know i've done right.. they also suggested a list of 5 books which was slightly different, and i tried the other book they suggested (only one was different to the previous list) but that didn't do anything either!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #291
verano
verano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Yeah, I think there a great many of us with that 80% problem for the Classic Attack award.

I emailed and called Kobo customer service about it back in November... I tried to follow up a couple times since then, but still nothing.

I can only assume there are an awful lot of people this is having an effect on, and that Kobo hasn't yet figured out how to fix it (?).
verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:07 PM   #292
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by verano View Post
Yeah, I think there a great many of us with that 80% problem for the Classic Attack award.

I emailed and called Kobo customer service about it back in November... I tried to follow up a couple times since then, but still nothing.

I can only assume there are an awful lot of people this is having an effect on, and that Kobo hasn't yet figured out how to fix it (?).
My apologies, I've just double-checked the award logic and it turns out that I had posted a link to the wrong edition of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland. It should be this one http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Alice...Fbw/page1.html – this is likely the culprit behind your 80% completions. Let me know if finishing that book earns you the award .

– Charles
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #293
sarasa1
Enthusiast

Yes, it worked! Thanks so much! That was really bothering me! Thanks so much Lessthanyouthink!!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #294
verano
verano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Thanks, Lessthanyouthink!

My Classic award now says 100%, although it still didn't "award" it to me (i.e. no 'share' button shows up, it doesn't count in my total, no notification, etc).

But still, that's progress! Thanks for the help!
verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #295
sarasa1
Enthusiast

Looking at the last comment, i went to check my app, and you're right, its come up to 100% but hasn't quite registered, as its not counted in my total, and the background color when you click on the award hasn't filled in. Wierd...

Also, with some of the other awards, are there specific editions you need to get the awards?

For instance i've definitely got more than 10 harlequin books on my iphone from the store, and i've recently bought travel guides from my upcoming vacation, both from lonely planet and fodor, but neither of them have registered..
Old 03-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #296
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur

Quote:
Looking at the last comment, i went to check my app, and you're right, its come up to 100% but hasn't quite registered, as its not counted in my total, and the background color when you click on the award hasn't filled in. Wierd...

Also, with some of the other awards, are there specific editions you need to get the awards?

For instance i've definitely got more than 10 harlequin books on my iphone from the store, and i've recently bought travel guides from my upcoming vacation, both from lonely planet and fodor, but neither of them have registered..
Glad it … sort of … worked. I'll try to take a look at why it'd be showing up as 100% complete but not registering.

As for the other awards…

For the Sneaky Reads award, they don't have to be specific books but they do have to be purchased (as opposed to free) and from certain publishers/imprints (it's a long list).

The same goes for the Sun Sea Sand award, but the list of publishers/imprints is a lot more specific: Avalon Travel Publishing, Fodor's Travel Publications, Healthy Travel Media, Blaze Travel Guides, Rough Guides, Rough Guides US, Lonely Planet Publications. You can check this by long-pressing on a book in your library and seeing which publisher is listed. These awards are pretty specific and the publisher names have to be an exact match.
Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #297
sarasa1
Enthusiast

Oh, i see.. though i checked my travel books, and i definitely have two books by Lonely Planet Publications, and one that just says Fodor's.. though that last one maybe doesn't count..

Also, i thought Sneaky Reads was just Harlequin books? I'm assuming that doesn't inclulde Harlequin Enterprises.. etc.. though you did mention a long list..

Also, does anyone know exactly how to earn the Dead Reckoning award.. i know about the other 3 sookie awards, but that's the one that eludes me, despite me having read all the books.. was wondering what the criteria was..
Old 03-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #298
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Also, does anyone know exactly how to earn the Dead Reckoning award.. i know about the other 3 sookie awards, but that's the one that eludes me, despite me having read all the books.. was wondering what the criteria was..
Have 1 Sookie Stackhouse book in your Library. Probably needs to be purchased. From the information I have, it would seem to indicate this should be the first Sookie award you can get, the others require multiple books to be in the Library / Fully Read. Pretty sure it's only achievable on iOS as well.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #299
sarasa1
Enthusiast

oh, that's odd then. I have the other ones for buying more than one sookie award.. but the dead reckoning one never registered. And yes, it was all on ioS. No idea why that one never came through.. :s
Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 AM   #300
foxfire
Enthusiast
foxfire began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ok....I cheated. Since I already read the 1st Alice book, I simply downloaded the correct Alice book then opened and closed it. Got my Classic Attack award...
foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awards, reading life, touch