Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #1
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Changing File Name Output

Is there anyway to make it so that Calibre keeps the original file name after converting file format? I've tried adjusting the output (with some but not complete sucess), but I'd really like it to not alter the name if possible.

Max
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemeok View Post
Is there anyway to make it so that Calibre keeps the original file name after converting file format? I've tried adjusting the output (with some but not complete sucess), but I'd really like it to not alter the name if possible.
This seems to be an area of ignorance for me because I am confused. If you convert a book the file name doesn't change except the extension from .lit to .epub or something along that line. If you use the command line It seems as if you specify the output name.

What are you doing, exactly, that leads you to this conclusion?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:55 AM   #3
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Calibre has not change the file name of any of my books during conversion except for the extension which it must change for obvious reasons and adding the author name to it's own internal storage.
I doubt this can be changed, but you can send to device or save to disk without the author name I believe.
This will give you books with original title
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #4
bitemeok
Connoisseur
bitemeok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I think I may have altered the format in the preferences for saving books, but it seems that calibre changes the file name based on the metadata for the file (e.g., I can chage it to author - title) whereas I have additional information in the file name that isn't in the metadata. If there is a default setting that doesn't change the output I'm missing it.

I should add that even when the Save template line is left blank, the output still changes from that of the original file name.

Last edited by bitemeok; 08-29-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: added line
bitemeok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
You originally said,
Quote:
Is there anyway to make it so that Calibre keeps the original file name after converting file format?
The answer to that question is the name is the same before and after the book is converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitemeok View Post
I should add that even when the Save template line is left blank, the output still changes from that of the original file name.
I'm going to try and answer what I think you mean.

When you add a book to calibre the book is stored in the calibre database/library in a manner that uses the metadata you provide to create a file name for the stored book. The file in the calibre database/library is not for public consumption and can not be altered inside the calibre database/library. DO NOT muck with the files in the calibre database/library.

The save template is used to create how the filename will appear when exported from the calibre database/library via the save to disk feature. It is quite flexible. I think you need to let us know how you would like this exported file name to appear.

Bottom line answer to your question is NO (maybe).

NO, Any book added to calibre will be stored/converted using info from the metadata to create the file name and you have no say in how calibre stores/names these files for use withing calibre.

maybe, When exporting any book from calibre the tools in the save template are very flexible and it is quite possible that the template can be adjusted to provide you with a naming structure the same as the original (pre-calibre) name.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote