Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #1
bflohockeymom
bflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook Glowlight
epub books don't display on Nook glowlight 3

I'm beyond frustrated and am really hoping someone here knows how to fix this. This is my third Nook and I've been using this one since Christmas with no problems but this issue popped up recently. 95% of the books I read on my Nook are borrowed from my library. I use OverDrive to download them and Adobe Digital Editions to authorize and copy them to the Nook. Lately, when I download and copy the books over, they are not showing up on the Nook. Things to note:
- They ARE on the Nook. If I try to copy them again, it asks if I want to overwrite the file on the nook.
- I can open and read the file that is on the Nook through Adobe Digital Editions.
- I can see the file on my computer on the Nook drive.
- There are no special characters in the name of the file. Most of them have spaces in them but other books with spaces in the names DO display on the Nook.
- I am looking under Library - My Files
- I tried creating a subdirectory on the Nook as I read in another post but it is not showing up under My Files.

Any suggestions? I'm a very technical user. I have no idea how non-technical people deal with all these weird issues I've experienced with the last two Nooks I've owned.

Thank you!
Dori
bflohockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #2
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
I don't borrow library books myself, but I can see that this is an incredibly frustrating situation.

I did find this:

https://help.barnesandnoble.com/app/...ZKNFElMjElMjE=

Hopefully this solution applies to Glowlight 3's as well. Good luck!
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
jaber0709
jaber0709 began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight3
epub books don't display on Nook glowlight 3

BfloHockryMom, did you ever get this resolved? I have exactly the same issue and after hours and hours of research and trying different things, I am so frustrated
jaber0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
bflohockeymom
bflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura aboutbflohockeymom has a spectacular aura about

Device: Nook Glowlight
I still continue to have this problem on some but not all epub books I borrow from my library and copy to my Nook. I have no idea why some work and some don't. The file is absolutely ON THE NOOK but it will not show up under my files or my library.

I ended up installing calibre (https://calibre-ebook.com/) and copying those problem books that way. I have to download the file from the library, open it in Adobe Digital Editions so that it authorizes it, and then use calibre to copy it to the nook. It's a pain but it works....so far!
bflohockeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 12:05 AM   #5
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
If I recall correctly the glow light 3 had issues from the start with library books and at first BN claimed they wouldn’t be supported. They caved in eventually because this was a stupid idea and they finally saw it was going to affect their bottom line more than they originally thought.

I suspect part of the reason is that the GL3 got a (totally unnecessary) upgrade to the version of Android it was using. This upgrade allowed for profiles though I forget now if BN ever actually got that feature working on this model. However it also exceeded the version that played well with any Mac, and even on Windows I think you had to hope it loaded as a media device. The Mac work around was an additional program something like android file transfer which allowed for browsing and sending files though only through the app which was less than elegant.

Adobe was also getting tired of supporting android devices plugged in to the computer, which wasn’t a problem for most since the ones using a version of android Adobe didn’t want to support in that fashion were tablets which could run apps and had a browser.

None of that applied to the NGL3 though since it was eink BN didn’t give it any App Store access and the browser was only accessible through manipulation and wasn’t good for anything but amusement at how bad eink and the nook software and hardware were at handling it.

They should have just stayed on the older version of Android.

Of course I may be misremembering it’s hard keeping track of the glowlight line since I can never remember if BN counts the first two simple touch devices with glowlight in their numbering scheme. The one I’m thinking of was the one that had a metal plate on the back and an oddly textured front.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
jaber0709
jaber0709 began at the beginning.

Device: nook glowlight3
Thanks for your response, I have the same issues, some but not all epub borrowed from my public library are able to be viewed from my Glowlight 3. Using ADE first to authorize, then Calibre to copy to Nook did not work for me, I get the "This book is locked by DRM" message on Calibre. So right now I can view about 80% of the books I try to copy to Nook.
jaber0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 02:26 PM   #7
JenniferP
JenniferP began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
library epub books don't display on Nook glowlight 3

Hi,

I've been having this problem for a long time with my Nook Glowlight 3 and after hours of troubleshooting, I was SO excited to find this thread.

But I'm having the same problem with Calibre that Jaber0709 is having!

Here's my process: I download the book from the library using either Overdrive or Axis360 and it automatically pops up in ADE. I open the book in ADE. Then I open Calibre, click on "Add books," and a window pops up that leads to Documents > My Digital Editions where I can see all my checked out library books. I choose the book in question and hit "Open" and the book appears in Calibre. But when I try to open it from Calibre or transfer it to my Nook, I get a pop up that says "This book is locked by DRM." It won't open from Calibre and if I transfer it, all I get are blank pages.

PLEASE someone help me and tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Also, after downloading Calibre, I opened a Word doc and got a pop up asking me if I wanted to open it in Calibre or Word. I selected Word, but now EVERY time I open a Word document I get a pop up that says: "Microsoft Word isn't your default program for viewing and editing documents. Do you want to select the file types that Word should open?" I always say "yes" and save the setting, but the message keeps popping up every time I open Word now.

Thank you!
JenniferP is offline   Reply With Quote