Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-31-2018, 03:16 AM   #1576
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
My best guess is that the ingredient called for was baker's ammonia (ammonium bicarbonate). When heated, it breaks into ammonia and carbon dioxide acting as a leavening agent. Commonly used before baking soda and baking powder came into common use.

Now if you really want to get worried about what's you are using in baking, try reading 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz by Kerryn Offord & Rick Boatright (part of the Ring of Fire series). Hey, they needed a source of ammonia for making the sodium bicarbonate...
Thanks for the education that you gave me in paragraph #1. Paragraph #2, not so much.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 09:28 AM   #1577
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 4 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
My best guess is that the ingredient called for was baker's ammonia (ammonium bicarbonate). When heated, it breaks into ammonia and carbon dioxide acting as a leavening agent. Commonly used before baking soda and baking powder came into common use.

Now if you really want to get worried about what's you are using in baking, try reading 1636: The Chronicles of Dr. Gribbleflotz by Kerryn Offord & Rick Boatright (part of the Ring of Fire series). Hey, they needed a source of ammonia for making the sodium bicarbonate...
I enjoyed that book.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2018, 06:12 PM   #1578
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I enjoyed that book.
Apache
I'm sure that there are plenty more where that one came from. I just happened to see it when I was looking for something completely unrelated to cooking. I'm sure that if someone actually went looking for old cookbooks, he/she could find enough to fill a hard drive with many terabytes capacity.

I'm still frustrated by being unable to find that fermented fish dish that the ancient Romans loved so much (I think that it was called "garum," or something like that). I'm anxious to try it . . . .
Old 06-01-2018, 04:58 PM   #1579
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtrsRGr8 View Post
I'm sure that there are plenty more where that one came from. I just happened to see it when I was looking for something completely unrelated to cooking. I'm sure that if someone actually went looking for old cookbooks, he/she could find enough to fill a hard drive with many terabytes capacity.
Once I saw an estimate for all pre-1850 books - perhaps ask the Library of Congress?

Predominately sermons I think.

Quote:

I'm still frustrated by being unable to find that fermented fish dish that the ancient Romans loved so much (I think that it was called "garum," or something like that). I'm anxious to try it . . . .
Start with Thai fish sauce.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #1580
GA Russell
Calgary wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles 8, 4 and jetBook Lite
The Plant Paradox Cookbook 2018 - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D72W18Q/
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2018, 07:34 PM   #1581
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
<snip>
Start with Thai fish sauce.
No, you go ahead; being good mannered as I am, I insist.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #1582
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
The Plant Paradox Cookbook 2018 - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D72W18Q/
Talks about eating lectin-free. That's the first time that I've heard of that one. I've heard of these diets:
Paleo
Gluten-free
Carb-free
Meat-free
Meat-free and products-made-from animals free.
Sugar-free
And about everything else that you can imagine. But this is the first time that I've seen for lectin-free.

It's a wonder that I'm not dead already, what with all of the bad stuff that I've eaten . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-01-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #1583
LJJohnson
Zealot
LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LJJohnson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: -- Home is where the RV stops (Texas ~6 months/year)
Device: Kindle Fire HDX, Fire HD, Paperwhite,Android & Windpws phones
Quote:
No, you go ahead; being good mannered as I am, I insist.
Be **SURE** and get the Virgin fish sauce. Otherwise, the dead fermenting fish have already given up there goodness at least once.
LJJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:10 AM   #1584
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

NEWS FLASH!

The Mediterranean Table: Simple Recipes for Healthy Living on the Mediterranean Diet, by Sonoma Press is currently 55 cents. Yes, 55 cents!

There is much more that I'd like to add, but I'm only going to give the URL, so that I can get this posted as soon as possible: https://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean.../dp/B013HZ5NUG.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:39 AM   #1585
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
Considering that most of the ones I've seen were image scans, they tend to be rather large files.

Quote:
You might want to try Garum or liquamen. Personally, I'm iffy about trying any recipe that includes the words "The smell really is not bad at all". You do have a yogurt maker you are willing to sacrifice to the cause...
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:17 AM   #1586
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Considering that most of the ones I've seen were image scans, they tend to be rather large files.

You might want to try Garum or liquamen. Personally, I'm iffy about trying any recipe that includes the words "The smell really is not bad at all". You do have a yogurt maker you are willing to sacrifice to the cause...
After a little research on the Web, I find that it's amazing how many places give recipes for ancient Roman dishes.

You've got to see the one for garum, at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/roman-recipes.html (do an in-page search for it). Make sure to read the last couple of sentences, especially. One says something like "leave in the sun for 7 days." Then, there's something about at the end the fish have all turned to liquid.

But one of the Scandinavian countries--Sweden, Norway, Denmark, somewhere--have a modern dish that, if memory serves me correctly, is much like the garum. I've heard that people from other countries find it absolutely detestable. It would be interesting if the Internet Archive had a fairly recent book of Scandinavian recipes, written in English . . . .

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 06-02-2018 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:59 PM   #1587
GA Russell
Calgary wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Almond Flour Cookbook - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3IBNFQ/
Old 06-03-2018, 02:24 AM   #1588
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Quote:
After a little research on the Web, I find that it's amazing how many places give recipes for ancient Roman dishes.
And none include the warning that this recipe is likely to be hazardous to your health.

Quote:
You've got to see the one for garum, at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/ancient/roman-recipes.html (do an in-page search for it). Make sure to read the last couple of sentences, especially. One says something like "leave in the sun for 7 days." Then, there's something about at the end the fish have all turned to liquid.
Well, that eliminates me from trying the recipe. Now if it called for 7 days of rain....

Quote:
But one of the Scandinavian countries--Sweden, Norway, Denmark, somewhere--have a modern dish that, if memory serves me correctly, is much like the garum. I've heard that people from other countries find it absolutely detestable. It would be interesting if the Internet Archive had a fairly recent book of Scandinavian recipes, written in English . . . .
Lutfisk was bad enough. I couldn't try any Swedish food for a couple of months after my innocent taste buds were introduced to lutfisk (also known to Norwegians as lutefisk) which translates as lye fish. I don't want to imagine what further infamy the minds that came up with lutfisk are capable of.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #1589
GA Russell
Calgary wins Grey Cup!

The Picnic Book for Family or Romance - free
https://www.amazon.com/Picnic-Book-F...dp/B00MKRLE74/
Old 06-22-2018, 06:08 PM   #1590
GA Russell
Calgary wins Grey Cup!

The Taco Cleanse - $1.13
https://www.amazon.com/Taco-Cleanse-...dp/B00Z8CZRWG/

Decadent Dessert Smoothies - free
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007LSFILA/