Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #1
crashprime
crashprime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K5
Kindle (2012) cover similar to Paperwhite smart cover?

So I had a kindle paperwhite 3g that I received as a christmas gift. It died on me, so I ended up taking it back to Best Buy and I noticed they had the regular kindle on sale for $49.99 this week, and well, I never used the light or the 3g radio on the paperwhite so I figured it would be a nice way to save some money.

Problem is I was in love with the smart cover for the paperwhite and I really wish I could find something similar for the regular old '12 Kindle (Kindle 5 I guess it's called 'round here?).

Does anyone know of a magnetic closing leather case that is available in a form fit (not straps) for this model?
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:26 AM   #2
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I believe the function you're looking for is only available on the Paperwhite. As near as I can tell, the basic Kindle doesn't have the internal switch needed to make it compatible with a magnetic smart cover; that functionality requires both a magnet in the cover AND a switch in the device. Amazon's own branded cases for that model don't appear to have that ability, so no other brand will either.

That said, while it won't turn the Kindle on and off, there should be at least a couple of off brand cases that are form fitted. I hate straps myself, so I've often had to hunt down cases without them. It may just take some digging through the listings on Amazon to find them, as only the best sellers/highest rated tend to show high up in a search. Often times, the best deals & some of the best cases I've bought may only have a handful of reviews and therefore are hidden quite a few pages deep on a search for "Kindle cover".

Good luck!
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2014, 03:46 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashprime View Post
Does anyone know of a magnetic closing leather case that is available in a form fit (not straps) for this model?
I imagine that you can get cases with magnets for closure, but the magnetic on/off feature only works on the PW.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #4
crashprime
crashprime began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle K5
I should have been more clear, I am just looking for a form fit (non-strap) leather cover that can remain closed with a magnet. The on/off feature isn't really a big deal, I just want something that stays closed.

I know Amazon has official leather cases for the regular Kindle 2012 but they just sort of flop around. No closing mechanism.

The best "quality" solution I've found are the Moleskin-style strap cases. The slightly more expensive Pad & Quill http://www.padandquill.com/cases-for...le-4-case.html would do the trick I suppose but I was hoping for something a little simplier.

MarWare / MarBlue makes the EcoVue which is more or less the same style (minus the wood and form fit) Much less expensive but I really want something MADE for this device, not just something that is held by corner straps.
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
The only magnetic closure options I know of are not form-fitting like you desire, but rather a folio-type. Strap closures are probably your best bet if you'd rather have a form-fitting case that will stay closed.

I also just wanted to make sure you knew that the regular Kindle is a non-touch screen device. So, if you liked that aspect of the Paperwhite, you might not want the regular Kindle as a replacement.
7hir7een is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert