Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 08-07-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Harry Vederci
Harry Vederci began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HD 8
Side load to SD Card

I have a Kindle fire HD8 (seventh gen). When I use Calibre to side load a book to the main memory the book will show up in the Books Library. However, when I send a book to the SD card it will not show up in the Books Library.

The only work around I can find is using the app ES file explorer.The book shows up in the directory both in ES file explorer and also in Windows file explorer. I can call up the book using ES file explorer and after exiting the book it shows up in the Recent Home page of the Kindle.

I have called Kindle Tech support (and try to get someone in the US is virtually impossible) and they have no answer.

Does anyone have a fix for this??
Harry Vederci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
As far as I know Fire tablets only check for sideloaded books in certain specific folders in internal storage, not on an SD card. Instructions here.

Perhaps someone else has a workaround for this.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Try the Kindle Fire forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I was told while you can Store them on the SD Card You Need to Move them to the actual Fire to read them.....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
Harry Vederci

Beg to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
As far as I know Fire tablets only check for sideloaded books in certain specific folders in internal storage, not on an SD card. Instructions here.

Perhaps someone else has a workaround for this.
Personally I think this is poor programming on the people who wrote the software for Fire HD 8. Consider these points, I do have some titles that were previously loaded on the SD card before inserted into the Fire that do show up in the Books Library. Go figure that. No only that but according the options for the SD card, you can download books from Amazon to the SD card. Also apps can be stored on the SD card and will show up in the Apps Library. Methinks that maybe Kindle deliberately did this to discourage side loading books not purchased from Amazon. That's pretty disgusting if you ask me.

I did show a work around in my original post, but it is cumbersome.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:09 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is a general feature of the Kindle Android app, and not something specific to the Fire. It doesn't support content stored on a memory card.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
Harry Vederci

Please Read

Apparently, the commentators to this thread are either not carefully reading what I posted or not understanding what was written. For everyone that has stated that the Kindle does not read what's on the SD for inclusion to the Books Library, I will positively prove that there are books only loaded to my SD card that are appearing in the Books library. So any statements that the Kindle does not read the SD card are factually wrong. Besides, what's the point of having an SD card if the Kindle cannot read from it? I have a B&N Nook that shows in its Library books that are on the SD card.

Please look at the 2 screen shots:
One shows highlighted files on the Kindle SD card as shown in Windows Explorer.
The other shows a screen shot of the Books Library page on the Kindle.

Notice that Larry Bond's "THE ENEMY WITHIN" and Ben Bova's "ABLE ONE" are only loaded on the SD card and appear in the Books Library.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle book library.jpg
Views:	534
Size:	836.6 KB
ID:	158376   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle SD card.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	158377  
Old 08-11-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
First you say you have to use the Explorer file to find them on your SD card, now you are saying they show up.
Will you please rephrase your question?
What exactly are you trying to do?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Get rid of ES File Explorer. It's malware now. You don't want it on your device.

My understanding what you are doing is a work around. You are opening a book to get the Kindle library app to recongize it. If you drag and drop book onto the SD Card they do not show up without opening it. This is due to the SD card not being supported officially.

You could use Calibre Companion as a work around. It will open the book however in older versions of Kindle Fire when opening a book located outside of the Books folder it won't give you access to all features. Let me test this and get back to you if that fixed or not.

Edit: There is no way to auto add the books without opening it that I can see. However it seems to fully open with all features.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 08-11-2017 at 10:29 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
Harry Vederci

ES File explorer

@ Blossom

After an internet search there is no mention of ES File explorer being malware. Cite your sources for your claim. The only complaint about it was that the ads were intrusive. Also, are you saying that Amazon is promoting malware???? https://www.amazon.com/ES-File-Explo.../dp/B008K6HN8I

Secondly, I use Calibre to side load files to SD card not Windows Explorer. I have no idea how you got that impression that I drag and drop from Windows Explorer. I have been using Calibre for years now. It worked perfectly with my Nooks

@Cinisajoy

I never said what you claim I said. I was just proving the point that the file is on the SD card via Windows Explorer. Jeeze! Reading comprehension
Old 08-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vederci View Post
@ Blossom

After an internet search there is no mention of ES File explorer being malware. Cite your sources for your claim. The only complaint about it was that the ads were intrusive. Also, are you saying that Amazon is promoting malware???? https://www.amazon.com/ES-File-Explo.../dp/B008K6HN8I

Secondly, I use Calibre to side load files to SD card not Windows Explorer. I have no idea how you got that impression that I drag and drop from Windows Explorer. I have been using Calibre for years now. It worked perfectly with my Nooks

@Cinisajoy

I never said what you claim I said. I was just proving the point that the file is on the SD card via Windows Explorer. Jeeze! Reading comprehension
Same question.
What do you want a fix for?
What are you trying to do?
Quote:
However, when I send a book to the SD card it will not show up in the Books Library.

The only work around I can find is using the app ES file explorer.The book shows up in the directory both in ES file explorer and also in Windows file explorer. I can call up the book using ES file explorer and after exiting the book it shows up in the Recent Home page of the Kindle.
That says you cannot see them in one place.
It says you can see them in another place.
Oh wait. I now understand you.
You will never find them under books.
Did you look in the documents tab?
Side loaded and emailed books are considered documents.

As to my reading comprehension, I read just fine. You never said what needed fixed.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:30 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://www.androidpit.com/this-is-w...-file-explorer

http://www.androidauthority.com/unin...plorer-691930/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/and...older-t3348545

http://www.wmur.com/article/data-dra...store/10245144

Google "ES File Explorer Malware" for more articles and posts.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 08-16-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

As I said there is no way to do what you want. It doesn't have anything to do with what program or method you use to copy your books to the SD Card. It's simply not supported. What you are doing by opening a book to get it to show up is a work around method.

Our reading comprehension is fine. You just seem to have a problem accepting the answers given.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Last edited by Blossom; 08-16-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #14
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Same question.
What do you want a fix for?
What are you trying to do?

That says you cannot see them in one place.
It says you can see them in another place.
Oh wait. I now understand you.
You will never find them under books.
Did you look in the documents tab?
Side loaded and emailed books are considered documents.

As to my reading comprehension, I read just fine. You never said what needed fixed.
They are trying to auto add books from the SD Card to the shelves on the Kindle app. It can't be done.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 08-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
They are trying to auto add books from the SD Card to the shelves on the Kindle app. It can't be done.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Thanks. I thought he just couldn't find them under books and knew side loaded went to documents.

Tags
fire hd 8, sd card, side load