Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-20-2022, 12:45 PM   #1
oskardotglobal
oskardotglobal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Post-update jailbreak recovery

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share this as a seperate thread as it is quite hard to find.
So my PW3 automatically updated to 5.14.3 from 5.14.2 after I had jailbroken it (because I forgot turning on airplane mode).

I thought it wouldn't be possible to jailbreak the device again, but just now, when reading through the replies on the WatchThis Thread I found a link linking to this post.
  1. Unpack the "emergency-bridge-recovery.zip" which can be found inside the K5 Jailbreak zip on NiLuJe's Tool snapshots.
  2. Enter ;log r into the search bar.
  3. Plug the device back into your Computer. If the 4 files from the zip are still there, you can give up now
  4. Download and install the JB hotfix firmware update which can also be found on the snapshots page.
  5. Install the KUAL hotfix firmware update which can be found inside the KUAL tar archive on the snapshots page.
  6. Enable airplane mode

Tested on:
  • PW3 running FW 5.14.3.0.1

If anyone can confirm this is working on their device, then please reply to this thread so I can add it.
oskardotglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
IIRC; this only works if you have jailbroken previously, it is normal that you will have to reapply the hotfix and reinstall packages that are installed through MRPI. Also you can keep using Wifi if you have your OTA binaries renamed as per this post. I have been using my PW5 on 5.14.2 with my OTA binaries renamed for 3 months now and still hasn't gotten an auto update.
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2022, 11:20 PM   #3
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Your device must be jailbroken before upgrading to 5.14.3 (or later). All you need to do is just re-install JB Hotfix and KUAL through MRPI (put both binaries under /mrpackages with ";log mrpi").
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I've modified the (exceedingly) misleading thread title .

Sidebar: There's a reason this is no longer prominently documented: the whole process is entirely redundant on modern JB versions. Just reboot the device (possibly twice) after an update and the bridge will take care of everything.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2022, 08:52 PM   #5
hanakomisa
Neon, she/her
hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!hanakomisa , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2,3,5, Fire HDX 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Sidebar: There's a reason this is no longer prominently documented: the whole process is entirely redundant on modern JB versions. Just reboot the device (possibly twice) after an update and the bridge will take care of everything.
Huh. I wasn't aware of that, thanks!
hanakomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert