Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 02-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #1
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Audible

I was looking at my audiobook library this morning and noticed that the catalog only listed two books in a series that has six books, and I distinctly remember listening to the whole series some time ago. Look on my audible library at audible and sure enough, they were there. When I compared the number of books that I bought from audible with the number that I had in my books library, I found I was missing around 30.

So, I pulled up OpenAudible (an excellent tool if you have a lot of audible audiobooks), synced it up and told it to download all my books. A few hours later, all my audible audiobooks were downloaded into a fresh folder. I did a side by side comparison between OpenAudible and books (made a bit more difficult because the two programs didn't sort the title exactly the same) and found 32 audiobooks not in my books library. Very odd.

Looking at the missing books, I would say that about half were books that had the same title as a book in the books library, but a different author, so my guess is those books got deleted by the removed duplicate books command that I invoked several years ago. I suspect many of the rest were a format issue.

By format issue, in 2016 when Apple dropped support of audiobooks in playlist, I got around it by converting to mp3 files and then when I had listened to the mp3, I deleted them from the library, leaving just the audible format file. I suspect that I converted those books, but forgot to also import the audible format file. Last year, at this time, when I got a carplay capable car entertainment center, I purged the mp3 files.

Sigh. Well, all is well that ends well.

Now, to get back to the issue that caused me to page through my library, i.e. trying to find a couple of audiobooks to give me a change of pace in my up next list.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #2
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
My problem is I have audible ebook companions. I have about 140 and around 30 of the audibles are no longer linked to the ebook even tho they are still advertised as audible companions on amazon. Makes me mad for i read and listen at the same time and audible and amazon can not fix it or they do not want to.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
My problem is I have audible ebook companions. I have about 140 and around 30 of the audibles are no longer linked to the ebook even tho they are still advertised as audible companions on amazon. Makes me mad for i read and listen at the same time and audible and amazon can not fix it or they do not want to.
I generally listen in the car, so whispersync has never appealed to me. I did always wonder how robust the process is though. Have you tried re-downloading both the eBook and audiobook?
Old 02-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
WhisperSync is one of those things that is great when it works, and frustrating when it doesn't. Mostly it does, but sometimes it fails. Frustratingly, it can fail in either direction - book to audible or audible to book. It's most annoying, however, when it fails book to audible, because it's harder to skim to the right place in an audio book.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Whenever I've had issues with audiobook companions (which happens surprisingly often), I have contacted Amazon support. I tend to get bounced around to Kindle support and/or Audible support, but eventually I reach someone who tells me they need to manually update my Kindle ebook on their end. After that the audiobook and ebook work together again.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 05:19 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

The latest update to the audible app added some library management tools including user managed categories. Finally. This lets me create an up next category so I can easily move to the next book I want to listen to the next book in the car. They also added genres, not started, started, downloaded and finished. Pretty nice update. The only features I still would like are manual sort and series.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:53 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
I have had pretty good success with Customer Support in fixing these issues. I would start with Audible support, and they can send you to Kindle support if that is where the problem is. I usually wait until I have a few to resolve. I’ve probably had to resolve about a dozen of these, and currently have only 2 that don’t work as expected. One of them is Anna Karenina, and I refuse to even start it until I can resolve it (my excuse anyway). The other is Book of Dust, which worked when I first bought them, then stopped working (And listings showed no Whispersync); now the listings say it does support it.

Sometimes the Kindle book needs an update (which is usually self-service), sometimes the Audible book needs an update (which Audible CS can handle). The other thing you can try (on ios or Android) is to do an explicit Sync (from Settings menu). This takes several minutes and is a little ‘deeper’ than just pull-down sync. I think it has fixed 1 or 2 of the issues I had.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote