Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 04:26 AM   #1
mutaforme
mutaforme began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Kobo: reading from a browser

Hi, I'm new to Kobo. I was wondering if it is possible to read my ebooks directly in the browser. I have a Win10 notebook but I'm not enabled to install third part software. In the past I have used Kindle cloud reader and I like it.
Is that possible with Kobo?
mutaforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:44 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Do you mean that you want to read ebooks on your laptop instead of on your Kobo Clara? Not that you want to read ebooks in the browser that's on your Clara?

If the ebooks are from kobo, I don't think so, not if you can't install any software like Adobe Digital Editions. If you bought them from Amazon, you should be able to use whatever you already used to read them. If bought from elsewhere, then it depends what facilities those ebook vendors provide. If borrowed from Overdrive, yes, there is in-browser reading.

But you can also read your kobo books on your Clara, and on any phone or tablet that you have.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:07 AM   #3
mutaforme

Hi, thank you for the answer.
I have a Kobo Clara Hd, but when I don't have the device with me I would like to read my (Kobo store) purchased ebook on my laptop, without install the Kobo app. I would like to keep them sync. Can I read them from Chrome or Firefox?
Old 01-14-2020, 05:53 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutaforme View Post
.. I would like to keep them sync. Can I read them from Chrome or Firefox?
no and no. they are encrypted (DRM) for your Kobo device to unlock.

it is possible to remove the encryption with other programs and then read on PC but once you do that, they are no longer "kobo's books" so they will not sync.

and you have to use other sites for detailed help with removing DRM

even if you had the device to hand, and copied the books from your device to a PC, they would not be readable on the PC in a browser.

this is the price you pay for keeping the pirates at bay ( even though most are not thwarted).
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:21 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
even if you had the device to hand, and copied the books from your device to a PC, they would not be readable on the PC in a browser.
Does the EPUBreader plugin still work for Firefox? (Not on a PC on which you can install nothing, of course).

To the OP: A smartphone will do what you want, if you have one (I believe pretty much all smartphones will run the Kobo app). Or just carry your Clara. Sorry about that.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #6
mutaforme

It's a shame because with Kindle I can do it, anyway thanks to everyone for the answers.