Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #1
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
eInk screen comparison chart

The Dutch website eReaders.nl just posted an article anticipating the new 5" eInk devices that will see the light of day soon, the BeBook Mini and Cybook Opus.

Although most MobileRead users unfortunately will not be able to read the article, the screen comparison chart (pdf alert) that accompanies the article might come in handy. The chart features all screen sizes, which - if printed on 100% scale - will give you a pretty good idea of the various screen sizes (including the new 5" screens) and the amount of text that will fit on them.

Last edited by ebookreaders; 07-27-2009 at 02:58 PM.
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Judging by this, devices with 8" inch screens that fold in half when not in use ought to be the "sweet spot".

Small enough (when folded) to be reasonably portable, but with displays large enough to be able to display most any content--even with complex layouts--specially typeset for it. (Whereas on a 6" devices it's probably not feasible to have proper marginal notes or any but the tiniest pictures still aesthetically floating within text.)

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The sweet spot varies depending on its use for me. I handled a friend's Kindle DX. Too big for carrying around as much as I do, though lighter than I thought it would be. My Sony 505 is nearly perfect for me in overall size. If it doesn't fold or roll up, I'm thinking I want an 8" with absolute minimum case around it. That seems like my sweet spot.

That PDF-link comparison is slightly flawed. When I read using Stanza on my iPhone I reduce the font size and, I believe, hold it closer.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
The sweet spot varies depending on its use for me. I handled a friend's Kindle DX. Too big for carrying around as much as I do, though lighter than I thought it would be. My Sony 505 is nearly perfect for me in overall size. If it doesn't fold or roll up, I'm thinking I want an 8" with absolute minimum case around it. That seems like my sweet spot.

That PDF-link comparison is slightly flawed. When I read using Stanza on my iPhone I reduce the font size and, I believe, hold it closer.
I think the sweet spot is invariable, if one desires a general book reading device (on account of the potential demands of more complex layouts). (As opposed to a fiction reading device, for which probably as small as 5" screen is tolerable.)

A fold-in-half 8" display device ought to be smaller when in use than a DX, and smaller than a Sony 505 when folded.

I admit. 'Tis a dream I have!

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
Thanks for the link, it really does do a great job of comparing them.

It does make my eyes play tricks on me, when I first looked at it I thought 'absolutely no way' on the size of the 6" screen - it looked so small and insufficient. And then I held my Kindle up to my monitor and realized that yeah, that actually *is* the size of the screen, it's just much more comfortable in person.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
ebookreaders
wdejager
ebookreaders doesn't litterebookreaders doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, Cybook Gen3, iLiad 2nd & Book edition, iPhone 3G, DR1000
I've added 8" and 10" screen sizes to the pdf file as well, for those of you interested in comparing the iLiad, DR1000 en Kindle DX with the smaller ebook readers.
ebookreaders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Can only talk about my own experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookreaders View Post
I've added 8" and 10" screen sizes to the pdf file as well, for those of you interested in comparing the iLiad, DR1000 en Kindle DX with the smaller ebook readers.
Dear All:

As you know, Astak makes two lines of eBook Reader: "EZ Reader" and "Mentor". I love the new 5 inch in the EZ Reader. The first day I tested it I noticed that the resolution is much sharper on a 5 inch. This is because the same 200DPI on a 6 inch goes into a 5 inch screen. The result is a surprise as reading on a smaller screen is NOT a problem but a pleasure.

For me, at least, the fonts stood out more sharply and my eyes were immediately comfortable.

I am not knocking the larger sizes as 9.7 inch Flexi screened models will come out in the Fall for both our lines. BUT, despite the lighter weight and slightly thinner and smaller form factors ours will have, there is a limitation. I surely would not want to use a large screen on a plane. I doubt it will fit into the seat pocket in front of you and you cannot put it on the floor. You can, of course, leave it in the strorage bin but what good is that during the flight.

What I am saying is that I see a home for both. If you can get a good 5 inch with Epson Controller and 400MHz processor for around $200 (and maybe it adds 8 level grey scale and TTS and comes in colors) then I see the convenience of that little 5 inch being outstanding. I see where a lot of people will want both sizes.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
I am not knocking the larger sizes as 9.7 inch Flexi screened models will come out in the Fall for both our lines. BUT, despite the lighter weight and slightly thinner and smaller form factors ours will have, there is a limitation. I surely would not want to use a large screen on a plane. I doubt it will fit into the seat pocket in front of you
I think it will fit. If a standard size magazine can fit in those pockets, I'm pretty sure a 9.7 inch reader will fit into it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bebook, bookeen, cybook, mini, opus