Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 AM   #1
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Where to buy the new Oasis.

I am contemplating to buy the new Oasis.

I have previously bought my Kindles at Amazon US because it was the only option for me.
I can now apparently buy both at Amazon UK and Amazon Germany. At Amazon US I sometimes get the message, that the Oasis cannot be sent to Denmark.

I can only buy Kindle books at Amazon US and that is okay with me.
I am now wondering if I buy an Oasis in say Germany, and it is registered there, can/must I still buy books in US?
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I am contemplating to buy the new Oasis.

I have previously bought my Kindles at Amazon US because it was the only option for me.
I can now apparently buy both at Amazon UK and Amazon Germany. At Amazon US I sometimes get the message, that the Oasis cannot be sent to Denmark.

I can only buy Kindle books at Amazon US and that is okay with me.
I am now wondering if I buy an Oasis in say Germany, and it is registered there, can/must I still buy books in US?
Yes. I purchased my Oasis from Amazon UK, but it was immediately registered to my account in Amazon US, where I buy my books.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It doesn't matter where you buy it. When you sign in to it using your Amazon account, that's what determines which bookstore you'll use.

Last edited by HarryT; 11-19-2017 at 07:17 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can buy the new Oasis from amazon.com.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Registration is not permanent, it can be changed. When buying there is usually the option to buy the Kindle unregistered when selecting the gift option.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Registration is not permanent, it can be changed.
That's what I said in post #3 above . What matters is which Amazon account is currently signed in, and that can of course change over time.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You can also indicate that it's a gift and it will arrive unregistered.

Edit: I see someone mentioned this already.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's what I said in post #3 above . What matters is which Amazon account is currently signed in, and that can of course change over time.
Not to nitpick, but technically you did not. If you buy it already registered (which is the default way at least on amazon.com) then you do not need to sign in. Just turn on and use it. OP was concerned into being locked into the account it was registered on at delivery.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Not to nitpick, but technically you did not. If you buy it already registered (which is the default way at least on amazon.com) then you do not need to sign in. Just turn on and use it. OP was concerned into being locked into the account it was registered on at delivery.
If the buyer's country has no Amazon store of its own, then their Kindle will be registered to the US Amazon store. It doesn't matter where they buy the Kindle. I've bought mine both from Amazon UK and Amazon.de, but the Kindle was always registered at Amazon US.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 06:11 AM   #10
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all replies, very useful.

For now it seems I can buy from all Amazons including US. So the cheapest will prevail. And that is Amazon in Germany. Appr. 30 Euro.

My question in the OP was due to a story some years ago.
A person from Norway (as far as I remember) had somehow been able to buy a Kindle in Germany, and when he tried to register it at home, he had all kinds of trouble with Amazon.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:11 AM   #11
svenlind
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can buy the new Oasis from amazon.com.
No I can't. I was trying to almost fulfill an order at Amazon US because I wanted to see how much VAT and customs was added.

On the last step of the order proces I was informed that they don't ship to Denmark and was directed to Amazon UK.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:44 AM   #12
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
No I can't. I was trying to almost fulfill an order at Amazon US because I wanted to see how much VAT and customs was added.

On the last step of the order proces I was informed that they don't ship to Denmark and was directed to Amazon UK.
It is a real pain in the butt to change the Kindle store on your account. Even when you have 2 addresses you cannot simply switch unless you switch the country setting completely over. Other than that there might be a limit on how often y ou can switch without raising a red flag, it wasn't worth it to me to try buy a german ebook from the amazon.de store and possibly being stuck for a while.

The Kindle store is tied to the physical store and based on country setting in Amazon. It would be a whole different story if all books can be purchased in one place.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's worth noting that there are far fewer restrictions on buying physical products on Amazon sites that are not your "home". I recently bought a long out-of-print book from a "marketplace" seller on amazon.de (it was a German book), because it wasn't available from anyone on amazon.uk, and had no problem whatsoever.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #14
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:

Yes, there seems to be something wrong with the shipping destinations in the US store now, I also got told that they deliver to my address (Finland), but at checkout I get the error, and told to check the UK store.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Yes, there seems to be something wrong with the shipping destinations in the US store now, I also got told that they deliver to my address (Finland), but at checkout I get the error, and told to check the UK store.
I don't think it's an error. There have always been severe restrictions on shipping electronic products from amazon.com to other countries.