Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #16
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
My Fire HD 8 has it. And as expected the app was slower than molasses until I reset it. I wish Amazon would automagically do this. They have to know it's an issue with large libraries.

Last edited by copyrite; 11-04-2017 at 05:17 AM.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:19 AM   #17
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Both my Fires updated the Kindle app yesterday but the library backgrounds are black, whereas on my Nexus the background is white. Is there a setting for that, or is that just how the Fires are? (And slowwwww is the word. But I don't think I've ever factory reset either of these Fires).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 08:52 AM   #18
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
My Fire HD 8 has it. And as expected the app was slower than molasses until I reset it. I wish Amazon would automagically do this. They have to know it's an issue with large libraries.
To be fair this is the first rebuilt they have done. They probably didn't test it on large libraries. You have to do this on the Android app too. You don't need to reset your tablet/phone but uninstall the Kindle app and reinstall it. Unfortunately on the Fires that's not possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Both my Fires updated the Kindle app yesterday but the library backgrounds are black, whereas on my Nexus the background is white. Is there a setting for that, or is that just how the Fires are? (And slowwwww is the word. But I don't think I've ever factory reset either of these Fires).
It's worth it. You get the all the latest patches on a fresh firmware copy. After you reset go to system updates and manually update all components before doing anything else. Don't open any apps or install anything till the updates are done.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #19
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
To be fair this is the first rebuilt they have done. They probably didn't test it on large libraries. You have to do this on the Android app too. You don't need to reset your tablet/phone but uninstall the Kindle app and reinstall it. Unfortunately on the Fires that's not possible.

Sent from my XT1528
I didn't reset the Fire. I went to the app cleared the data(?) and cache(?) (not home at the moment so they might've been called something else), restarted the Fire and it was much much improved.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #20
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My KFHD7 (2013) just got the new Kindle app. Now I have to reset it again. This will be the third time no fourth. Argh! I just fixed it the other day and now it's at a stand still again.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #21
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I'm almost ready to try resetting my HD6. It wouldn't open the books app at all last night. Slower than a rock, overall. Works fine when the wifi is off, but try to do anything with wifi on, and, well, rock. Maybe I should give up and just get a $30 POS Fire on black Friday.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #22
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I'm almost ready to try resetting my HD6. It wouldn't open the books app at all last night. Slower than a rock, overall. Works fine when the wifi is off, but try to do anything with wifi on, and, well, rock. Maybe I should give up and just get a $30 POS Fire on black Friday.
Reset it. It will be like having a new Fire. Just make sure to go straight to system updates after the reset and install all of the component updates before it builds the database.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 11-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
The Fire hdx 8.9 4th gen got a system firmware update to 5.6.0.0 on 11/17/2017. Now maybe the next time the reading component get the update will actually update & not kill the library.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:53 PM   #24
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
The Fire hdx 8.9 4th gen got a system firmware update to 5.6.0.0 on 11/17/2017. Now maybe the next time the reading component get the update will actually update & not kill the library.
Interesting! I'm still on 5.4.0.1.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:06 AM   #25
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Anything new other than version number?

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 11-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #26
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
Firmware 5.6.0.0 allows the fire to monitor compatible home camera with Alexa. Also has the catchall of performance improvements & enhancements.

The new firmware does "nothing" for me unless the performance is really improved & the reading component update does update successfully instead of bombing out with a -505 error.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #27
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
How do you check the component version numbers?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #28
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
How do you check the component version numbers?
Settings/applications find the app and look at its info same place you clear data on a app.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 11-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #29
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Firmware 5.6.0.0 allows the fire to monitor compatible home camera with Alexa. Also has the catchall of performance improvements & enhancements.

The new firmware does "nothing" for me unless the performance is really improved & the reading component update does update successfully instead of bombing out with a -505 error.
Someone is claiming that this update removed the ability to sideload apps. Can you confirm?
Old 11-21-2017, 09:04 AM   #30
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

never mind

I found this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/kindlefire/...d_sideloading/