Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2020, 05:53 PM   #1
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Kobo is becoming my go to store...

For buying DRM free ebooks Kobo is now my go to store. Kobo allows direct downloading of DRM free ebooks. No need for Kobo software or third party software.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 06:01 PM   #2
Sirtel
Wizard
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage/Oasis 2/Oasis 3/Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8''/Kobo Libra H2O
So do Smashwords and Google Play.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2020, 07:25 PM   #3
RobertJSawyer
Fanatic
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Aura, Mini; Kindle PaperWhite
It's a really good store, for both DRM-free and DRM-locked titles, and its price-match guarantee (which actually beats a competitor's price by 10%) really works. And for Calibre users, it's one of the better sources for ebook covers, often having a higher-resolution version than Amazon does.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
For buying DRM free ebooks Kobo is now my go to store. Kobo allows direct downloading of DRM free ebooks. No need for Kobo software or third party software.
Just out of curiosity, how do you find DRM free books on Kobo's Store?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:17 PM   #5
Claude_C
Zealot
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
And for Calibre users, it's one of the better sources for ebook covers, often having a higher-resolution version than Amazon does.
How do you add the Kobo Store to Calibre so to get the covers?

I only have Google and Amazon multiple countries as extra plugins.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2020, 10:37 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude_C View Post
How do you add the Kobo Store to Calibre so to get the covers?

I only have Google and Amazon multiple countries as extra plugins.
You want the Kobo Books metadata source plugin. You can download that through the preferences in calibre. Go to the Plugins page and click the "Get new plugins" button. That will display the list of available plugins.

The size of the cover fetched is controlled by one of the calibre tweaks. The API used appears to generate a cover of the appropriate size when requested.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:46 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Windows 10 tablet,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I would say that the majority of the ebooks I buy are indie or small to medium publishers, On Amazon most have there books marked DRM free or Device Usage: Unlimited.

On Kobo look at the bottom of the book page for:

eBook Details

Flying Raven Press
Release Date: June 28, 2014
ISBN: 1230000249032
Language: English
Download options: EPUB 3 (DRM-Free)

The big thing is still price but all things being equal I will go will Kobo.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 11:18 PM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
For the most part, I don't notice until I download the book. At that time, I get either a weirdly named .epub file or an Adobe Adept .acsm file. If I am concerned, I can look at the ebook details near the bottom of the page where I'll see the download options such as EPUB 3 (DRM-Free), EPUB 3 (Adobe DRM) or EPUB 2 (DRM-Free) or any other combinations they come up with.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 06:45 AM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
For the most part, I don't notice until I download the book. At that time, I get either a weirdly named .epub file or an Adobe Adept .acsm file. If I am concerned, I can look at the ebook details near the bottom of the page where I'll see the download options such as EPUB 3 (DRM-Free), EPUB 3 (Adobe DRM) or EPUB 2 (DRM-Free) or any other combinations they come up with.
Okay. I thought maybe there was a way to search (or filter) for DRM-free books. Thanks for the answer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:28 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Okay. I thought maybe there was a way to search (or filter) for DRM-free books. Thanks for the answer.
Star Trek, Tor, Baen are all DRM free.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:53 PM   #11
Claude_C
Zealot
Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Claude_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You want the Kobo Books metadata source plugin. You can download that through the preferences in calibre. Go to the Plugins page and click the "Get new plugins" button. That will display the list of available plugins.

The size of the cover fetched is controlled by one of the calibre tweaks. The API used appears to generate a cover of the appropriate size when requested.
Thanks! I’ll look into it.
Claude_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #12
bookaho!ic
Addict
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
ebooks.com is also good i generally buy 99p books but you can sometimes find them on ebooks.com without the VAT every bit helps
bookaho!ic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:31 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookaho!ic View Post
ebooks.com is also good i generally buy 99p books but you can sometimes find them on ebooks.com without the VAT every bit helps
eBooks.com can be better then Amazon (in the UK) because some ebooks.com is able ot follow the new VAT free rules much better then Amazon. No store is yet perfect but ebook.com is so much better then Amazon.

Last edited by JSWolf; 05-16-2020 at 02:41 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #14
Butterfly1234
Enthusiast
Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Butterfly1234 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara
Why does it matter whether an e-book is DRM-free or not if it's to be read on your Kobo anyway?
I'm not critisizing, I'm trying to understand why that would be important.
Butterfly1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 06:23 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly1234 View Post
Why does it matter whether an e-book is DRM-free or not if it's to be read on your Kobo anyway?
I'm not critisizing, I'm trying to understand why that would be important.
It's more about futureproofing. If Kobo went out of business, or someone else released a better ereader, DRM free mean you can read elsewhere with no fiddling needed. It also means if you want to tweak the look of the book, you can.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote