Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-06-2020, 04:17 AM   #16
matt0
matt0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
There's no such thing as "turning sleep mode off".

You either let it sleep, or you shut it down.

What you *can* disable is the smart cover feature, which is essentially a wireless power button that will only ever trigger a sleep or wakeup.
I do not have a cover so the feature was already disabled.

Quote:
Why not just turn sleep mode off - problem solved. I have never used sleep mode on any of my Kobo's.
The only reason is that I don't like that I have to wait that the reader turns on to start reading. I know that I could switch it off every time I have finished to read.
matt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:33 PM   #17
matt0

The latest news after having removed all the books is that the sitation looks even worst than before...the battery charge decreased from 43% to 12% after 24 hours with the e-reader in standby.
Advert
Old 05-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Don't trust the battery gauge, trust the actual amount of time you can use the device between full charges.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:04 PM   #19
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
There's no such thing as "turning sleep mode off".

You either let it sleep, or you shut it down.
Strictly speaking, if you set both Automatically go to sleep after: and Automatically power off after: to never, not only will your ereader not go to sleep, it won't shut down until the battery drops out of the usable range.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0 View Post
The latest news after having removed all the books is that the sitation looks even worst than before...the battery charge decreased from 43% to 12% after 24 hours with the e-reader in standby.
Firstly, I agree with @NiLuJe. Use the battery level as a guide rather than gospel. And don't assume it is linear.

What was the state of the device? Sleeping or powered off? If it is sleeping, try a test. Charge the device completely, power off and on and put it to sleep. That should make sure there are no left over background tasks consuming power. Then put it away for 24 hours and look at the battery levels after that.

If you are turning it off, I would charge it, restart and turn it off for the test. Again, that is about making sure everything was "normal" at the start. And the point where the powered off screen is displayed is a little bit before the device finishes powering off. If there is a hung task, that could prevent the final power off, or delay it a lot longer than usual.

You can also turn on the developers mode and the power management logging options. That can show why the device is waking or not sleeping. I have used that to understand problems like this before.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #21
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
@DNSB: Is that a feasible combo on an unpatched firmware?

(Seems like an easy way to shoot oneself in the foot if it is, but then, stuff like that has been requested in the past, so, eh ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 10:05 PM   #22
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

(Seems like an easy way to shoot oneself in the foot if it is, but then, stuff like that has been requested in the past, so, eh ;p).
Yes, it is. I have used it to testing something and didn't want either to kick in.

And of course, I've forgotten to change the settings back and not been able to work out why the battery was always flat when I picked up the device
Old 05-07-2020, 10:34 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:

Yes. Both sleep and power have a never option and you can set both to never. No warnings so if you want to shoot yourself in the foot, you can.

I've used it a couple of time when I was playing with a device. Much as davidfor mentioned, I've also forgotten to set the sleep time back until the battery went flat...again.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:02 AM   #24
matt0

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
What was the state of the device? Sleeping or powered off? If it is sleeping, try a test. Charge the device completely, power off and on and put it to sleep. That should make sure there are no left over background tasks consuming power. Then put it away for 24 hours and look at the battery levels after that.

If you are turning it off, I would charge it, restart and turn it off for the test. Again, that is about making sure everything was "normal" at the start. And the point where the powered off screen is displayed is a little bit before the device finishes powering off. If there is a hung task, that could prevent the final power off, or delay it a lot longer than usual.

You can also turn on the developers mode and the power management logging options. That can show why the device is waking or not sleeping. I have used that to understand problems like this before.
Thanks for your reply.
The device was sleeping. I have fully charged it yesterday afternoon and after a power off - power on cycle I have put it in sleep mode.

the situation now, after around 24h is that the battery is 96% full. But as you said this is not linear and it happened also before that the first day after a full charge everything looked nominal. I'll see in the next 2-3 days.

Just a question: how can I turn on the developer mode?

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2020, 11:43 AM   #25
droopy
Evangelist
droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.droopy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
A "bad" book can cause battery-drain and other oddities. Did you add or recently open a new book? Try removing books. The drain might be unrelated to the FW upgrade.
1. What makes a book bad?
2. How can we tell which books in our Calibre library (or on our Kobo) are bad?
3. How can we make bad books good?
droopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:36 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Thanks for your reply.
The device was sleeping. I have fully charged it yesterday afternoon and after a power off - power on cycle I have put it in sleep mode.

the situation now, after around 24h is that the battery is 96% full. But as you said this is not linear and it happened also before that the first day after a full charge everything looked nominal. I'll see in the next 2-3 days.
While it isn't linear, that is a good sign. Was the WiFi enabled and is the scheduled sync enabled? The sync would easily explain that battery usage.
Quote:
Just a question: how can I turn on the developer mode?
In the search, enter "devmodeon". Then close the search. "Developers options" will be added to the end of the Device information page of the settings.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:44 PM   #27
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by droopy View Post
1. What makes a book bad?
2. How can we tell which books in our Calibre library (or on our Kobo) are bad?
3. How can we make bad books good?
"Bad" as in "misbehaving". Basically books with errors in them, or possibly overly complex coding. Exactly what problems cause this, I don't think anyone knows. But, people have been able to directly connect particular books with the problem. And then cleaned up the code and the problem went away.

In general, if the error check in the calibre editor doesn't show problems, then you won't see a problem. For complexity, it is more a matter of how big the stylesheet and what the code looks like. There are probably some other things such as size of the internal files and use of embedded fonts.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:36 AM   #28
matt0

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
While it isn't linear, that is a good sign. Was the WiFi enabled and is the scheduled sync enabled? The sync would easily explain that battery usage.
No I always have the WiFi disabled and also the scheduled sync is not enabled. Now, after 48 hours of standby with just around 30 minutes of reading, I have 61% left.

Quote:
In the search, enter "devmodeon". Then close the search. "Developers options" will be added to the end of the Device information page of the settings
Thanks, done. I have enabled the battery and powermanager logging and I have pushed on the save logs button...but I did not manage to find the log files (I have also tried connecting the e-reader to my laptop)
Old 05-09-2020, 10:07 AM   #29
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
No I always have the WiFi disabled and also the scheduled sync is not enabled. Now, after 48 hours of standby with just around 30 minutes of reading, I have 61% left.
Did you notice how much power was used while reading?
Quote:
Thanks, done. I have enabled the battery and powermanager logging and I have pushed on the save logs button...but I did not manage to find the log files (I have also tried connecting the e-reader to my laptop)
The log files are in the .kobo directory. They will automatically be written when you connect to the PC. Or press the save button. If you wake the device and see that the battery has dropped a lot, save the log then. Or if you notice a significant drop at other times. That should capture the power usage.
Old 05-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #30
AbominableDavid
Enthusiast
AbominableDavid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I had this problem a few weeks ago. I was about to buy a new reader, but after a reboot the problem went away.
AbominableDavid is offline   Reply With Quote