Notices

Old 04-25-2020, 05:25 AM   #1
babygau
Enthusiast
babygau began at the beginning.

Device: kobo libra h20
Question Converted kepub showing random highlights

hi everyone,

i got problem with kepub files converted from epub through calibre showing random highlights on random pages. they're so annoying. could you pls help me out?

updated: pls find attached sample below
Attached Files
File Type: epub test.kepub.epub (889.6 KB, 147 views)

Last edited by babygau; 05-16-2020 at 02:00 AM.
babygau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:10 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Are they actually highlights on the device, or something in the book? If you can press on them and they popup the menu to add a note or delete the highlight. If when you long press on a word in the highlight, and it shows the dictionary or the menu to save a highlight, it is a problem in the book. Or, is there anything in the annotations list for the book?

The only way I can think to get random highlights is to replace an existing book that had highlights. It would mean some things had to work out the same, such as the same file name (which is surprisingly common error) and the same internal file names (not uncommon). So, it is possible. The only other way would be a bug in the firmware or your device. I definitely haven't seen anything like it.

I tend to think it is an issue in the book that is shows marked text that just happens to look like text selected on the device. You would need to look at the book in another viewer to see this.

Otherwise, a photo or screenshot would help us see what is happening. Or, if it is legal to do, post the kepub version of the book.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2020, 11:12 AM   #3
babygau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are they actually highlights on the device, or something in the book? If you can press on them and they popup the menu to add a note or delete the highlight. If when you long press on a word in the highlight, and it shows the dictionary or the menu to save a highlight, it is a problem in the book. Or, is there anything in the annotations list for the book?

The only way I can think to get random highlights is to replace an existing book that had highlights. It would mean some things had to work out the same, such as the same file name (which is surprisingly common error) and the same internal file names (not uncommon). So, it is possible. The only other way would be a bug in the firmware or your device. I definitely haven't seen anything like it.

I tend to think it is an issue in the book that is shows marked text that just happens to look like text selected on the device. You would need to look at the book in another viewer to see this.

Otherwise, a photo or screenshot would help us see what is happening. Or, if it is legal to do, post the kepub version of the book.
i could press on those random highlight and the dialog showed 'removed highlight', however, those highlights were not in the annotation list of the book. it's not just a book, it happened to all books i converted to kepub. that's really weird i know.

i tried to remove all books in the device and resent them back but the problem doens't go away.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:39 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygau View Post
i could press on those random highlight and the dialog showed 'removed highlight', however, those highlights were not in the annotation list of the book. it's not just a book, it happened to all books i converted to kepub. that's really weird i know.

i tried to remove all books in the device and resent them back but the problem doens't go away.
In the annotations list, is the filter set to all? That's the only thing I can think of for why they aren't visible.

The only other thing that I an can think of to suggest is checking the database. If it is corrupt, then you get strange behaviour. Though I haven't heard of this one before. My Kobo Utilities plugin for calibre has this function.

And what happens if you restart the device?

Seeing the other things I mentioned before might help. Plus, it is always good to know what firmware version you are using. And if you have done any patching.

Having said that, I suspect you will need to try logging out of the Kobo account on the device. That regenerates the database and the options. If that doesn't work, then it is probably a factory reset.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
babygau
Enthusiast

none of those you mentioned work for me. however, i eventually manage to recreate the problem. it's because if i use highlights too much, random highlights will appear in the following pages. this won't happen if my library has no highlights or not many. i think you might be right about the firmware because im using kobo-patch.
Advert
Old 05-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
none of those you mentioned work for me. however, i eventually manage to recreate the problem. it's because if i use highlights too much, random highlights will appear in the following pages. this won't happen if my library has no highlights or not many. i think you might be right about the firmware because im using kobo-patch.
How many highlights do you need for that to happen? I do make a lot of highlight, but, they are usually short-lived. But, I have definitely had hundreds on the device at a time, and several pages worth in the annotations list for a single book.
Old 05-03-2020, 06:17 AM   #7
babygau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
How many highlights do you need for that to happen? I do make a lot of highlight, but, they are usually short-lived. But, I have definitely had hundreds on the device at a time, and several pages worth in the annotations list for a single book.
i couldn't tell, could be 100, but some have very long lines or paragraph.

are you using kobo-patch? it happened when i used kobo-patch, i need it to patch fonts that support my language. if i reset to stock firmware, the issue's gone
Old 05-03-2020, 07:33 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
i couldn't tell, could be 100, but some have very long lines or paragraph.

are you using kobo-patch? it happened when i used kobo-patch, i need it to patch fonts that support my language. if i reset to stock firmware, the issue's gone
I don't do any patching. If it is only when patching, and for a particular language, then you need to check those patches. Maybe list the ones you use so that the patching experts can check what is happening.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:57 AM   #9
babygau
Enthusiast

hi, i thought the problem was fixed but actually it still remains even with stock firmware. i uploaded the file for further investigation. could you help me?

Download link to copyrighted material deleted.

Last edited by issybird; 05-16-2020 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:39 PM   #10
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
hi, i thought the problem was fixed but actually it still remains even with stock firmware. i uploaded the file for further investigation. could you help me?
It would have been preferred if you had sent the link in a private message. I strongly suspect that ebook is not freely re-distributable.

One quick question is if you have run that epub through epubcheck?

Last edited by DNSB; 05-16-2020 at 12:42 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I did notice that in the calibre comments section, a mass of hr's, reading progress, highlights, etc. appear. I'd suggest editing the book metadata, cleaning up the comments column and then updating the epub metadata with using Polish or Modify Epub.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 05:20 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I did notice that in the calibre comments section, a mass of hr's, reading progress, highlights, etc. appear. I'd suggest editing the book metadata, cleaning up the comments column and then updating the epub metadata with using Polish or Modify Epub.
I took a quick look in the Calibre editor and with epubcheck, I was able to find that this eBook is a very big mess. All the HTML headers are wrong and there are a lot of errors.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:13 PM   #13
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
The way some meta data and annotations are getting stuffed into the description made me wonder... are you re-sending these books to the kobo somehow as well?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 07:52 PM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Moderator Notice
Please don’t provide a download link to a copyrighted book again.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 01:49 AM   #15
babygau
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Please don’t provide a download link to a copyrighted book again.
i'm sorry for my ignorance, it won't happen again 🙏
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The way some meta data and annotations are getting stuffed into the description made me wonder... are you re-sending these books to the kobo somehow as well?
its originally format was azw3, i simply converted it into kepub and send to kobo via calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I took a quick look in the Calibre editor and with epubcheck, I was able to find that this eBook is a very big mess. All the HTML headers are wrong and there are a lot of errors.
thank you for suggestion, i didn't know about that plugin before. i thought a simple azw3 to kepub conversion is just enough 😖
in short, the conversion somehow tampered with the original content and cause the highlight problem, am i correct?