Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-04-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
Charging the iPad

Somethig odd about then iPad: I cannot charge it if I connect the USB cable to a PC. The PC will see the iPad and iTunes works well, but the unit won't carge, so I have to charge it by pluing it to the wall. That kinda sucks. If I plug it to a Mac, no problem. I bought a USB powered hub and the thing still wouldn't charge, so it seems that the only way to solve the issue is to buy an Apple computer. Has anyone here experienced something similar?
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:28 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's actually not as simple as that. The iPad is lying when it says "Not charging" when it's connected to a PC's USB port. It is charging, but very slowly. Eg, this morning my iPad was on 92% charge. I've had it connected to my PC all afternoon, and now it's fully charged, despite saying "not charging" all that time. If you put the iPad in sleep mode, and leave it connected to USB, it'll charge significantly faster.

As you say, though, if you want a fast charge, use the wall charger.

Look at it this way: the iPad is very much a "cousin" to a netbook or a tablet PC. None of those will charge at all via USB. Be thankful for small mercies!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes, that is correct. Only charge from the wall.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
http://www.tuaw.com/2010/05/31/drive...g-ipad-on-pcs/
See if this helps!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's actually not as simple as that. The iPad is lying when it says "Not charging" when it's connected to a PC's USB port. It is charging, but very slowly. Eg, this morning my iPad was on 92% charge. I've had it connected to my PC all afternoon, and now it's fully charged, despite saying "not charging" all that time. If you put the iPad in sleep mode, and leave it connected to USB, it'll charge significantly faster.

As you say, though, if you want a fast charge, use the wall charger.

Look at it this way: the iPad is very much a "cousin" to a netbook or a tablet PC. None of those will charge at all via USB. Be thankful for small mercies!
Yep, I understand that, but I tried it on a Mac and it's charging. And what I don't understand is why it's not charging (or charging very slowly as you say) when it's connected to a powered USB hub. Anyway, thanks for the info. I didn't knew that 'not charging' means 'just a little bit'.
Advert
Old 06-04-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Interesting. I'll try that.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Presumably the reason is that it requires more power to properly charge than the USB standard permits, and Mac USB ports can supply that, whereas a "normal" USB port can't.

If I recall correctly, the USB standard permits a port to supply up to 5W of power (5V at 1Amp); the iPad charger supplies 10W.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #8
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Presumably the reason is that it requires more power to properly charge than the USB standard permits, and Mac USB ports can supply that, whereas a "normal" USB port can't.

If I recall correctly, the USB standard permits a port to supply up to 5W of power (5V at 1Amp); the iPad charger supplies 10W.
Yes, the later model Mac USB ports are adaptable-they can supply more power if needed.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4049?viewlocale=en_US
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
I think some computers other than Mac's can support the higher drain that the iPad needs to charge properly. I believe there is a negotiation (or some such) which allows the iPad to determine if it can turn on the charging (at full power?). However, most laptop class devices probably won't support iPad charging as the draw from the laptop's battery or through its power supply are beyond the likely design.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
I can charge using my Thinkpad laptop if the power cable is plugged in. The iPad screen says that it isn't charging but it is.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Mosherix
Enthusiast
Mosherix doesn't litterMosherix doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad, PRS 300
Has any one let the battery drain to 0%?.
I used mine last night until it powered off by itself.

Not a good thing to do.

I let it charge some minutes and turned it on. It went off a couple of times. I then stopped using it and took a very long time to charge to 4%. When I woke up it was only at 20%. From there it started to charge faster. I used the wall charger all the time.
Mosherix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosherix View Post
Has any one let the battery drain to 0%?.
I used mine last night until it powered off by itself.

Not a good thing to do.

I let it charge some minutes and turned it on. It went off a couple of times. I then stopped using it and took a very long time to charge to 4%. When I woke up it was only at 20%. From there it started to charge faster. I used the wall charger all the time.
I let it drain once and charged it back up to about 80 percent in about 2.5 hours with the Griffin charger.

I read in Apple's battery care that you should let the battery drain once a month. I'm going on memory, so feel free to confirm. It said it would take up to 10 minutes to become usable if you let it drain and recharged from zero.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 06-04-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
CopperTrail
Enthusiast
CopperTrail is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X3i
I bought mine the day the wifi model was released and I've only charged it down to 0 once. I'm not going to calibrate it by taking it down to 0 once a month unless I start to see runtime problems. I've also noticed that it seems to charge faster when wifi is disabled.
CopperTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #14
JimKal
Zealot
JimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheeseJimKal can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad, iMac,iPhone, Kindle Touch
I read in Apple's battery care that you should let the battery drain once a month. I'm going on memory, so feel free to confirm.

I remember reading that as well but I was unsure of what they meant by "drain". I believe you start getting a low battery reading at about 20%. That is as far as I've let it drain before using the wall recharger. Would it be better to let it drain closer to 0% or is the low battery warning close enough?

When wifi is on the battery drains more quickly so it would make sense that it would charge more slowly with the wifi on.
JimKal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
CopperTrail
Enthusiast
CopperTrail is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Axim X3i
The idea is to let it drain down until the device powers itself off in order to calibrate the iPad with the battery.
CopperTrail is offline   Reply With Quote