Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 10:03 AM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Angry Delay For The Rest Of The World...

By now most will find in their favorite iPad news site that Apple has delayed the sale of iPads to the end of may with presales on May 10th...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Just as I have started to buy Kindle books for the Mac-iPhone-iPad sync nirvana

Oh well - patience, patience. I have cancelled my planned trip to the US late April - too much temptation!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
Mick4545
Enthusiast
Mick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enoughMick4545 will become famous soon enough

Device: Oasis 2
If I obtained an iPad from the US for use in the UK, would it work with our 220 volt power supply, without using a transformer? The wall plug would'nt fit of course, but could I use an iPhone charging lead?
Mick4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i believe the supplied charger is auto-switching (google and check, but i'm pretty sure i read that somewhere), just need a plug adapter.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #5
readingaloud
Enthusiast
readingaloud is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad; Sony Reader; Amazon Kindle
Yes, it works fine with 220 volt power--it uses the same charger as the iPhone.
readingaloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #6
tommy still
Connoisseur
tommy still doesn't littertommy still doesn't litter

Device: iPhone and Sony PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingaloud View Post
Yes, it works fine with 220 volt power--it uses the same charger as the iPhone.
It's the same style of USB charger as the iphone, but I believe it's a higher current device. I don't think you can charge an iPad with an iPhone charger.......Not as quickly anyway.
tommy still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:58 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

it is not exactly the same charger. i have both in front of me right now.

the iphone charger is a very small cube unit with the following specs listed:

input: 100/240V ~ 50/60 hz 0.15A
output: 5V 1A

the ipad's charger is a larger square unit with a removable set of prongs, similar to the chargers for their laptops and has the following specs listed:

input: 100-240V 0.45A 50-60Hz
output: 5.1V 2.1A

so clearly the ipad charger is more powerful to meet the higher demands of the iPad.

it has been mentioned several times that the iPhone charger will charge an iPad, but much slower. the iPad will charge the iPhone as well, in its standard time (not faster, as the iPhone only draws what it can handle).

Hope this answers a lot of questions!
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
I wonder if that will have any effect on the timing of the US 3G (which I have on order)?

There was an interesting theory (on another forum) on why we have not gotten a specific date on the 3G. Some SAY (that the Stig owns an iPad <g>) that Apple wants to wait until the 2 week return period on the WiFi iPad release has passed to prevent people form returning those and buying the 3G. Plausible?
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:44 PM   #9
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
I ordered a 32 gig version on Monday (hope to have it today) as I was becoming increasiongly concerned that there was no announcement of the international release date. I really want the device before I commence back at uni at the end of April, I have been using the Archos 9 for note taking and reading texts for uni, but it really is a clunky device and whilst it does the task it is certainly not a pleasant experience.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:20 AM   #10
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
I wonder if that will have any effect on the timing of the US 3G (which I have on order)?
I believe Steve Jobs has personally confirmed exactly that
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:35 AM   #11
sciredz
Enthusiast
sciredz began at the beginning.

At the same date as the announcement, my 2nd order of the ipad was
cancelled by apple saying that:

"Thank you for your recent Apple order.

To ensure that all customers are given equal opportunity to acquire this
product we have limited the amount available per customer. Therefore,
this order has been cancelled.

If you have questions, you may reach us at 1-800-676-2775 between
8:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. PT Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. and
4:00 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Sincerely,
Apple Online Store Customer Support "

I wonder if anyone has ordered a 2nd ipad and it is still there at apple
online. I have to order it there because I live in another country and
it has to be shipped to a forwarded which will redirect it to me.
sciredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:10 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post

There was an interesting theory (on another forum) on why we have not gotten a specific date on the 3G. Some SAY (that the Stig owns an iPad <g>) that Apple wants to wait until the 2 week return period on the WiFi iPad release has passed to prevent people form returning those and buying the 3G. Plausible?
My theory about it is that Apple may have swithed its production entirely to the wifi model to satisfy demand. That's what I'd do for my shop.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 AM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
My theory about it is that Apple may have swithed its production entirely to the wifi model to satisfy demand. That's what I'd do for my shop.
That's my guess as well. And I think the wifi model will sell a lot more. I don't think as many people will be willing to pay for a 3G plan for a tablet since that will probably get used mainly at home, the office, coffee shops etc.--places with WiFi. At tablet is more like a Netbook--something most people just use at home or take with the specifically when they're traveling or going somewhere with internet etc.

Unlike a smart phone which people always have on them everywhere they go. Plus people with smartphones probably aren't very happy about the thought of paying for a separate 3G data plan for a tablet on top of their phone plan.

Delay sucks for those that do want the 3G model though. But makes sense if that's the reason, as they're goal is to sell as many as possible, and maybe they're seeing demand for WiFi units currently being larger than preorders for 3G models etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
We still don't know the price in Australia...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
We still don't know the price in Australia...
In Canada either. Even with both dollars at near parity, Canadians must expect to pay a 10% premium as all Apple products warrant. Just compare a typical product's price from the Apple Australia lists to the Apple US and apply the rule to the US iPad prices.

Worthy Canadian news. Mr Jobs personnally said that in Canada the wifi and 3G will appear on the same date. We expect the 28th of may with presales on the 19th.