Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-10-2022, 03:11 AM   #16
lomkiri
Zealot
lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deina97 View Post
YES!!!
That was the problem! It had:
<dc:language>ca</dc:language>
You could easily have saved time and energy testing at least with one other book.
Third msg in the thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomkiri View Post
(Another guess) :
For all books ? (I mean : Did you try with another book ?)
If not, maybe the language of the culprit is not defined correctly (in the opf or in the header of the html pages).
lomkiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 03:40 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
In addition, see the setting for dc:language in the opf metadata of the epub.
I didn't realise dc:language played a role in spell checking

Would I be right in assuming its last in chain - i.e. if there's no lang tags in the content, use the metadata value?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2022, 04:13 AM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The attached screenshot shows the English variants recognised by calibre's default English dictionary, and the dictionary I use. Seems odd to me that two of the five members of the so-called Anglosphere are excluded from the default English dictionary - plus the former Dominion of South Africa

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SxSEnDicts.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	197642  
Old 11-10-2022, 04:44 AM   #19
lomkiri
Zealot
lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lomkiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

Would I be right in assuming its last in chain - i.e. if there's no lang tags in the content, use the metadata value?BR
From another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
IIRC the hierarchy goes like this:

1) lang on individual tag or its parents going all the way upto html tag
2) if (1) is not found fallback to language in opf file
3) if (2) isnot found fallback to the users interface language

I am guessing in this case, the users interface language is one for which there is no builtin dictionary.
lomkiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:50 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
When I added lang="EN-us" xml:lang="EN-us" to the second line of an EPUB file that spellcheck didn't work in before, it started working on that file.

But I checked one of the files where Spellcheck does work, and it had no lang= statement. ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Your (letter) case above is backwards
en-US, en-GB
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2022, 03:04 PM   #21
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
YES!!!

That was the problem! It had:
<dc:language>ca</dc:language>
When I changed it to:
<dc:language>en</dc:language>
it worked!

"ca" means it your book was accidentally marked as "Catalan" instead of English.

If you opened:
  • Tools > Check Spelling

In the language column, you would've also seen Catalan for many words:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre.-.Spellcheck.Lists.-.Language.-.Catalan.png
Views:	71
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	197648

That's when you know something is fishy with your:
  • language in the HTML
    • lang / xml:lang towards the top of your HTML files.
  • book's language in the metadata
    • <dc:language> in the content.opf file.

For example, I ran across one book years ago where it was accidentally marked "fr" (French) instead of "en" (English).

- - -

Side Note: Another symptom of something wrong with an ebook's language is if you see:
  • red squigglies everywhere.

+ you would've been surprised when turning on Text-to-Speech... it would've been speaking "English" out in a completely different language!

- - -

Quote:
BetterRed, buddy ol' pal, you're killing me!!!

HTML lang is used for so much stuff now! See my famous post in the "<i>, <em> or <span> for italics ?" thread explaining all the use-cases.

Multi-Language spellchecking + ebooks have been getting better and better since my big nudges in 2016.

(Thanks, Kovid, for implementing it in Calibre's Spellcheck Lists all those years ago! )

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-10-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #22
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
The attached screenshot shows the English variants recognised by calibre's default English dictionary, and the dictionary I use. Seems odd to me that two of the five members of the so-called Anglosphere are excluded from the default English dictionary - plus the former Dominion of South Africa

BR
FWIW: calibre's User interface language list does include Australian and Canadian English, but New Zealand English is excluded

BR
Old 11-10-2022, 04:32 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

BR
Even funnier is that it shows that you are using an Australian English variant for Australia, Canada and Republic of South Africa. I would have expected en-au, en-ca and en-za dictionaries or a multi-variant dictionary.,

Last edited by DNSB; 11-10-2022 at 04:38 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 06:51 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Even funnier is that it shows that you are using an Australian English variant for Australia, Canada and Republic of South Africa. I would have expected en-au, en-ca and en-za dictionaries or a multi-variant dictionary.,
That's because en-AU, en-CA and en-ZA are absent in the default en-GB and en-US dictionary locale files, but present in the Apache Office sourced dictionary locale files - and there are dic and aff files for each.

But why isn't en-CA in the en-US default dictionary locale file, yet en-PH is in it; and why aren't en-AU and en-ZA in the en-GB default dictionary locale file, yet en-BZ, en-NZ, etc are in it. And if Ghana, why not Nigeria and Kenya?

BR
Old 11-10-2022, 07:04 PM   #25
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
That's because en-AU, en-CA and en-ZA are absent in the default en-GB and en-US dictionary locale files, but present in the Apache Office sourced dictionary locale files - and there are dic and aff files for each.

But why isn't en-CA in the en-US default dictionary locale file, yet en-PH is in it; and why aren't en-AU and en-ZA in the en-GB default dictionary locale file, yet en-BZ, en-NZ, etc are in it. And if Ghana, why not Nigeria and Kenya?
I've written quite a few in-depth posts in the LibreOffice subreddit about English dictionary files. (Here's the one from yesterday):

Different variants are taken care of by different people.

So... why is there no BZ + other variants?

Probably because nobody has decided to create/maintain them... so until someone steps up and does quality work, it won't exist in other programs.

- - -

Side Note: If you want more info on generating such dictionary, see the talk from:

where he described creating a new Czech dictionary.

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 11-10-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:13 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
(Thanks, Kovid, for implementing it in Calibre's Spellcheck Lists all those years ago! )
You are welcome, I am multi-lingual myself so I try to support multiple languages wherever feasible.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #27
Deina97
Deina97 began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by lomkiri View Post
You could easily have saved time and energy testing at least with one other book.
Third msg in the thread:
I tried it on multiple books, as I stated in an earlier message. I think I had 4 or 5 in a row that wouldn't come up.

But thank you!
Deina97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edit book, spell-checker, windows 10