Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-12-2024, 08:37 PM   #1
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
One-way sync app compatible with Poke 5

My preferred manner of managing my ebooks is to curate the books on my desktop, and simply mirror the whole directory hierarchy (author/series/books) onto my eReader. Can anybody suggest an e-ink compatible app that I can do this with?

Thanks.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:24 PM   #2
dcarvil
Enthusiast
dcarvil began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
My preferred manner of managing my ebooks is to curate the books on my desktop, and simply mirror the whole directory hierarchy (author/series/books) onto my eReader. Can anybody suggest an e-ink compatible app that I can do this with?

Thanks.
Take a look at SyncThing (https://syncthing.net). It will do what you want.
dcarvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 05:21 AM   #3
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
My preferred manner of managing my ebooks is to curate the books on my desktop, and simply mirror the whole directory...
Me too. I use adbsync.exe (in my sig) on the desktop to sync my Androids. Since I have different media (books, reference, music, music transcriptions..) I use a makefile (you could use a batch file) to do everything.
Code:
C:\>make poke5
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 04:26 PM   #4
jljtgr
Enthusiast
jljtgr began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Nova Air C
I use SyncThing also and it works well enough. Onyx likes to kill background processes a lot, so it's not as stable as on my phone... but maybe you don't even want it running all the time. You can configure it to run for only 5 minutes when you wake your device, but it's designed to be an always-on always-syncing product. On my phones it's pretty good for battery and runs pretty reliably.

You may choose to configure it to only work on LAN IPs and never use relay services. Either or both sides can be configured to be pull/push-only if you really want one-way syncing.
jljtgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:45 PM   #5
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarvil View Post
Take a look at SyncThing (https://syncthing.net). It will do what you want.
I should have perhaps specified that I want synchronisations to only happen when I request them, not continuously. (I tend to turn off Wifi, except when I want want to synchronise after I've added new books, to save battery.)

Syncthing is asking me to turn off "Battery Optimization" because "Android may stop synchronization after some time" -- which seems to imply continuous synchronisation.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:19 PM   #6
jljtgr
Enthusiast
jljtgr began at the beginning.

Device: BOOX Nova Air C
Quote:
I should have perhaps specified that I want synchronisations to only happen when I request them, not continuously. (I tend to turn off Wifi, except when I want want to synchronise after I've added new books, to save battery.)

Syncthing is asking me to turn off "Battery Optimization" because "Android may stop synchronization after some time" -- which seems to imply continuous synchronisation.
SyncThing for Android is made up of two parts. The Android app and the SyncThing CLI process that is common to all platforms.

It sounds like you just want to configure the Android app part to only run SyncThing CLI when a WiFi network is connected. Then perhaps also configure it to run for 5 minutes when the connection is made. If you really care about battery, then you can add the requirement for AC power to be present.
jljtgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:26 AM   #7
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I just leave WiFi off all the time.
I find it easier to just sync over USB.
Since this is not UMS there is no "eject drive".
Batteries last longer without WiFi anyway.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:07 AM   #8
dcarvil
Enthusiast
dcarvil began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note Air 3
Quote:

The next screen after Battery Optimization is "Let app always run in the background?". Tap Deny on this page, then it runs only when you start the app. When done syncing, tap the 3 bar hamburger menu in the upper left corner, then Exit.

Last edited by dcarvil; 02-14-2024 at 11:09 AM.
dcarvil is offline   Reply With Quote