Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-23-2022, 05:09 PM   #1
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast
wjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None
Unhappy Calibre v6.7.1 requires windows 10

I am running Windows Server 2012 R2

I was unable to upgrade my calibre installation from v5.32.0 to v6.7.1

I was stopped at the message: "Calibre v6.7.1 requires Windows 10"

What does "Requires Windows 10" mean?

Is there a work around for installing Calibre v6.7.1 and newer on Windows Server 2012 R2?

Is Calibre no longer compatible with Windows Server 2012 R2?

What is the last Calibre version before you stopped supporting Windows Server 2012 R2?
wjBLqf-_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2022, 05:37 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The issue is QT6, a 3rd party system used by Calibre. It needs 64 bit OS, Windows, Mac or Linux. The 32 bit versions of Windows 10 don't work.
Server 2012 is related to Windows 7 & 8. You don't say if you have 64 bit or 32 bit, though I think Server 2012 is probably only 64bit.
There is also an issue with Windows Graphics drivers for QT on Windows before Windows 10. Hence 32 bit Calibre 5.44 (the last 32 bit version) won't install directly on Windows less than 10, though some have edited the Installer and got it to work.

You might be able to use a tool to edit the MSI installer to skip check for win10 or higher.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 03:13 PM   #3
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast
wjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterwjBLqf-_9 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

I am running Server 2012 R2 64-bit.... I run it as my full time desktop OS, for reasons relating to: stability + predictability regarding "updates".

Is the bottem line: Server 2012 R2 is never going to supported again by newer versions of Calibre?

Does Calibre support Server 2019 64-bit?

I also noticed Calibre has a Linux download option, I have lots of questions:
Questnon #1 = What distro does Calibre Linux recommend?
Question #2 = Most likely Calibre Linux is still a DESKTOP app (verus a "SERVER" app) right?
Question #2a = DayDream... Calibre Linux "server" backend... interfaced with Calibre Windows client front end :-(
Question #3 = Are there any system specification / configuration advice for installing the recommended Distro on a virtual machine?
Question #4 = Does Calibre Linux support/tolerate NFS mounted library hosted on a NFS server running Windows Server 2012 R2?
[[Q#4 is important due to certain NTFS Deduplication which I rely upon]]
Old 12-03-2022, 03:39 PM   #4
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast

I saw some other post and I empathize with kovidgoyal's response.

Linux can be a touchy topic. I do not want to create any drama here, I am open minded and polling for experiences/opinions/feedback. On this site all my posts have the same primary goal USE CALIBRE. I am not interesting in jib-jabbing about Linux/Windows.

I am trying to communicate:
#1 = my intentions
#2 = my sincere interest to remain on topic
#3 = my commitment to always post professional/constructive/respectful... and SMART questions

I just want to use an updated version of Calibre without the privacy and SysAdmin headaches that come with Windows 10 Pro or the retail costs that come with Windows Server 2019... with Server 2022 on the horizon.

I think I am posting in open minded smart thinking approach:
-- I am not bringing my favorite Distro to the table insisting it work with my favorite options
-- In my view I want to know do this the right way the first time
-- I am polling for best practices / recommendations beforehand
-- Linux is not Windows, Windows has much fewer options to plan for when spec'ing plans to build a system physical or virtual

Calibre is a fantastic software project, thank you kovidgoyal (you received my appreciation already) :-)

As the saying goes: "When in Rome..."
If I ever stumbled across a posting about kovidgoyal's linux configuration preferences in general (and especially for running Calibre). I would begin my Calibre Linux journey seeing how the Creator himself (kovidgoyal) views about running Linux.

If there are any other established Calibre Linux users out there, I would like to read about their configurations also: pitfalls, solutions, workarounds, recommendations, etc.
Old 12-03-2022, 06:57 PM   #5
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjBLqf-_9 View Post
If there are any other established Calibre Linux users out there, I would like to read about their configurations also: pitfalls, solutions, workarounds, recommendations, etc.
Not to ignore all your detailed needs, but I run a pretty simple Calibre with Ubuntu 20.04. I simply use the binary install and it works. Possibly the most stable software I've ever used, at least since my career days with OS/400 and manufacturing databases. Been a daily user for 10 years, always on Linux.

Which Linux? With the binary installer and the ability to run from source, any major distro should work. I simply started with Ubuntu and never have had a reason to change.

I've got several libraries totalling ~50K entries, mostly books and short stories. Backup strategy: regular Linux backup weekly, once a month copy active libraries to a remote drive, just for a "clear" copy. Calibre has never caused a bit of data loss that I know of.

For serious editing and book creation I use a project directory, NOT inside Calibre, so I can control file names for versions. WIP I back up daily, just a simple copy. The editor and viewer can run outside the GUI.

I have no need for any networking and I have plenty of space on my desktop PC, so I have no input to networked systems. You indicate you know Calibre is meant as a single-user system, etc. Lots of posts about how to make it work on network drives, until it doesn't.

I dislike and distrust most "cloud" things, so USB gets all my books to my reader devices.

The only troubles I've had are a few glitches around Ubuntu upgrades. Usually desktop and window management issues; none have been serious. Kovid is not shy in explaining how Linux distros keep causing a mess for him, but he has done a wonderful job of getting around them. (Given this it is amusing to see all the trouble the Windows folks have.)

Comparing Calibre to the other tools I've learned to use for book making and fixing, like tesseract OCR, ImageMagick, Unpaper, Gimp, ScanTaylor, etc.---Calibre is a walk in the park!

If you have a machine or a partition to try it, go for it. You should be pleased.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:48 PM   #6
wjBLqf-_9
Enthusiast

Thank you "retiredbiker" for your feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
I have no need for any networking and I have plenty of space on my desktop PC, so I have no input to networked systems. You indicate you know Calibre is meant as a single-user system, etc. Lots of posts about how to make it work on network drives, until it doesn't.
My profession grew out of my nerd heart. At home I tend to be a tad more heavy user than most homes. This is not for bragging, it just is how my pile-of-stuff became a small mountain.

<as far off topic as I will go #1 of 2>
My ongoing home project is a manageable storage sub-system.
</as far off topic as I will go #1 of 2>

Quote:
I dislike and distrust most "cloud" things, so USB gets all my books to my reader devices.
<as far off topic as I will go #2 of 2>
The "cloud" is just 'someone-else's-computer'. I am astounded in the absurdity of "Trust" in 'someone-else's-computer'. Especially, at least, for things like password managerment or such.
</as far off topic as I will go #2 of 2>

Quote:
Kovid is not shy in explaining how Linux distros keep causing a mess for him, but he has done a wonderful job of getting around them. (Given this it is amusing to see all the trouble the Windows folks have.)
Kovid is a remarkable programer and who already has my appreciation... I have a lot of respect for the Creator and the Creation. When I read Kovid's remarks, I always give the Creator a wide berth.

Quote:
Comparing Calibre to the other tools I've learned to use for book making and fixing, like tesseract OCR, ImageMagick, Unpaper, Gimp, ScanTaylor, etc.---Calibre is a walk in the park!
Calibre is outstanding software -- when you realize it for what it was designed for
<humor>not silly things like interface with your Toaster oven</humor>
Old 12-04-2022, 12:09 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I moved from XP (and Calibre + LO Writer) to Win7 in 2016. Had used MS Office for 20 years.
Moved entirely to Linux Mint + Mate Desktop in Jan 2017, and Calibre.
I'd used Ubuntu for years in parallel and RedHat from 1998 alongside NT 4.0
Windows since 1991. NT on a server since 1994.

Never any serious issue with LO Writer, or Open Office before it (Linux user since 1998) or Calibre.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
6.7.1, calibre, server 2012, windows 10