Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 PM   #1606
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Just got to use my Voyage this week, I notice the bottom is brighter and "whiter" than the top but it doesn't really bother me. This is the best e-reading experience I've had so far. Happy with the device
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #1607
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Good! I love mine.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2015, 02:43 AM   #1608
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Just got to use my Voyage this week, I notice the bottom is brighter and "whiter" than the top but it doesn't really bother me. This is the best e-reading experience I've had so far. Happy with the device

Mine's the same, I hardly notice it at all but it is there.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #1609
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Received my Kindle Voyage this morning.
It's clearly a beautiful device. I'm surprised by its little size.
That's for the good part.

In fact I'm disappointed by the light it produces. I find it very artificial. Perhaps it will take some days before I accommodate to it...
I have of course the same problem than some of you (everybody ?) : The bottom side of the screen is whiter.

Last thing, I find the device too thin to hold it. I don't know how to explain it, but when I want to hold it with only one hand and use the haptic buttons with my thumb, it's not very comfortable.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #1610
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Received my Kindle Voyage this morning.
It's clearly a beautiful device. I'm surprised by its little size.
That's for the good part.

In fact I'm disappointed by the light it produces. I find it very artificial. Perhaps it will take some days before I accommodate to it...
I have of course the same problem than some of you (everybody ?) : The bottom side of the screen is whiter.

Last thing, I find the device too thin to hold it. I don't know how to explain it, but when I want to hold it with only one hand and use the haptic buttons with my thumb, it's not very comfortable.
I think you will learn to love it, at least I hope so. The thinness can be alleviated by buying a book style cover. One of the cheapest and ironically the best is the Swees cover, which can be got from Amazon UK for 9.99 or eBay for either 5.98 (a UK seller) or 3.26 (from China). I know the China price includes worldwide shipping. I've had a different colour from all three places and they are exactly the same.

These are the two eBay listings

China seller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2217376243...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

UK seller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1115453077...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I actually have four (don't ask ) Gold, Hot Pink, Blue and Purple. They are all lovely, and I really like the dark inner it matches the Voyage nicely, unlike the pale grey a lot of covers use.
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #1611
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Oh to be clear, it's a very pleasant device.
I'd never thought one day I find a device too thin for me. Got the Voyage and... Voilà!

Kudos and thanks for the links, I just bought one to give a try.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 09:31 PM   #1612
kobayashi
Groupie
kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!kobayashi rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Yes. A very common complaint. Amazon is good about refunds if the lighting bothers you because it's a known issue. You might just get used to it in time though.
kobayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:58 PM   #1613
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also -- try setting the light a bit lower. You don't need it to LOOK like a light. Just make it look like a white piece of paper, so that you don't even notice there is a light present. That's the goal.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #1614
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Just received my Voyage yesterday and couldn't be happier with it. The lighting seems very even to me. Text is noticeably crisper than on my PW2 and Kobo Aura HD. (And I think both of those displays are very good.) Not sure what I think about the auto brightness feature--I'm going to leave it on for awhile and see. Right now I seem to be manually adjusting the light quite a bit--but my understanding that the Voyage will eventually "learn" my preferences and adjust. I do like the page press buttons--currently have both the press and feedback set to "low" and that seems to work well for me. I do wish the page forward button was located a little higher on the unit, though.

I also got a Fintie case for the Voyage and am very happy with it.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:45 PM   #1615
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

[ I've got the auto brightness turned off, but maybe I didn't allow it enough time to "learn". I found it disconcerting to see it change when I leaned forward for a change of position, and happened to block the room's light, or something. But don't let me discourage you from testing it!]
Old 08-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #1616
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

The auto brightness does learn to adapt. I read in all sorts of lighting conditions and I never change mine now.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:23 PM   #1617
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The auto brightness does learn to adapt. I read in all sorts of lighting conditions and I never change mine now.
I don't change mine either. It is not always perfect and the same, so when auto brightness is off, I still don't fiddle with the setting. I rather blame the light situation and adjust holding or sitting position. Makes it closer to a real book, but useable with a greater range (lower and lighter) brightness of light.

Edit: I meant to say that I leave auto brightness ON always, but sometimes what it decides to choose is off from what it should be - that is when I rearrange book position relative to light.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 08-05-2015 at 10:29 PM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #1618
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I turned off auto-brightness on my Voyage, as well. I just didn't see a need. I tried it for a couple of days and then I tried it for a couple of days without it and I preferred that.

I usually keep the light set somewhere between about 10 and 13, usually 11 or 12. I rarely change it. Now and then I will during a long session just to keep my eyes fresh. Most times I just leave it like it is. It's never wrong. Sometimes it's just nice to have a change.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:51 PM   #1619
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
auto brightness works great for me. I love it. But I am within a fairly small range overall so that is why I don't notice if it changes a bit up and down if I happen to lean into the light for example. It just makes it so that its always just perfect the way I like it. Its always between 9 and 11. I never go above that number. But it makes a big difference inside the house if I have it on 9 or 11 so I like that it changes as I need it.

It learned as I set it over a few days. Now I don't even touch the light anymore. Its just always at a setting where the page looks whitish, but does not glow. If I see the light, see the screen glow, I know its to high. That is how I taught it to learn my preference. I turned it down until the glow goes away. Did that all over the house and in bed at night and at some point the settings stuck. Now I can walk around the house and it just goes up and down a notch here and there. I just don't notice and the screen always looks the same.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #1620
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
I found that auto-brightness would drop the brightness really low for abut 20 seconds and then return it back to where I was comfortable . This was all while sat in the same spot with no change in the room lighting. It was very strange!
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote