Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
Apowen
Apowen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Post Hi .. i like to read Greek text e-books

Can any one help me on
1) What i have to buy so it can support Greek text
2) where i can find Greek text ebooks?
3) does all support dpf ?

I will be very pleased from ur help
Apowen
Apowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #2
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Geia sou Apowen

I can read greek on my sony prs-600, at least I can read pdf files. I think the fonts have to be embedded for the greek characters to display properly.
Bebook and a device from Plaisio (brand name turbo-x, but most probably re-brand of another device) are sold in Greece, so presumably they support greek characters. I don't think you will have a problem with any device, one way or another. If Greek is not supported natively, you can always embed the greek font or change the default font of the device to one supporting greek.

Now, the availability of greek ebooks is another matter... You can see this post about greek ebooks beginning to appear in the market https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71813. I still can't find any greek ebooks being sold at this moment though... The darknet is a fairly good source until at last the greek ebook market gets going... Oh, and the publisher Kastaniotis does offer some ebooks for free here: http://www.kastaniotis.com/multimedia/ebooks/

[EDIT] I just tried one of the Kastaniotis epub books and it doesn't work so well. One, I get a "page error" message, which seems to be due to faulty epub construction on their part. But more importantly, they have not embedded any greek font: I could see most characters correctly except for the accented ones... This can be solved however by either embedding a greek font or hacking the device and substituting its default font with another that supports ALL greek characters. Other devices don't need all those workarounds of course. If I remember correctly, cybook had no problems with greek, and even if it did, it gave the user the chance to add fonts without hacking.

Last edited by omk3; 02-18-2010 at 01:05 PM.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2010, 02:34 PM   #3
Ulli
(-:
Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.Ulli is no ebook tyro.

Device: PocketBook 360°,302
It should be no problem to read greek with PocketBook.

Do you have a testfile? i can make you a screenshot of the view on the PocketBook.
Ulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, apowen.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 03:29 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Other devices don't need all those workarounds of course. If I remember correctly, cybook had no problems with greek, and even if it did, it gave the user the chance to add fonts without hacking.
Yes, the CyBook works just fine with Attic Greek (with the correct font loaded); it should work equally well for modern Greek.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 AM   #6
Apowen
Apowen began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi ...I want really to thank u so much for ur help....Thank soo much all of u ...
GREAT HELP....
Apowen
Apowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
SharonFruit
SharonFruit began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, Boox60
Boox 60 or PocketBooks (all models)

Both these devices operate under Linux, which makes life of international, other-than-English-languages, readers easier. All you need is the appropriate font that supports appropriate language.

You can have a look at those devices at www.ereadersandtablets.com
SharonFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonFruit View Post
Boox 60 or PocketBooks (all models)

Both these devices operate under Linux, which makes life of international, other-than-English-languages, readers easier.
While that is true, it's a bit of a "red herring". EVERY eInk device currently on the market runs Linux. The fact that a reader runs Linux is entirely irrelevent; what's important is the ability to load your own fonts.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:35 AM   #9
SharonFruit
SharonFruit began at the beginning.

Device: PB360, Boox60
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
While that is true, it's a bit of a "red herring". EVERY eInk device currently on the market runs Linux. The fact that a reader runs Linux is entirely irrelevent; what's important is the ability to load your own fonts.
OK, you're probably right... I thought that Linux automatically gives you adding fonts capability...
SharonFruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:00 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonFruit View Post
OK, you're probably right... I thought that Linux automatically gives you adding fonts capability...
I can't think off-hand of any reader that doesn't let you change the fonts, but some readers make it a lot easier than others. On devices like the Pocketbook and CyBook, for example, you just have to copy font files into a folder. On devices like the Kindle or Sony, you have to "hack" the firmware in order to do it.