Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i can completely understand your discouragement, but i really think it's a shame that you should let it stop you. i've given up things i loved for lack of time and regretted it, but i do understand that. but giving up something you love because the world is populated by philistines is no good reason. please keep writing, even if it's not as much as before (for time...).
I'm not particularly sad about my decision. I'll have written everything I think I'm capable of by the end of this year, and that's going to be quite a lot (inclusive of everything I have still waiting to be edited). The writing is on the wall, pardon the pun, for the whole industry. It's going to be more and more of the same, sequels, serial killers and vampires with a heart, jingoistic quasi-military pablum and rehashed romance. I'm even finding myself reading less and less lately because there's less and less that interests me being published either in the mainstream or outside. Every so often you find something beautiful, something that doesn't repeat everything you've ever heard before, and then you realise its a fluke, not the norm.

I'm rambling, in any case I'll have accomplished everything I set out to do come New Year's. I can relax knowing that my ambition of touching a few people with what I wrote, came true. That's enough
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #17
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
If you continue to write, Verencat will give you the keys to the mods' hover-car ... right, Verencat?
Hover-car, jet boots, keys to my home, whatever, take it, it's yours to keep! Just don't stop writing!!
But I don't want to pressure you nor be harassing...

But don't stop writing because of main stream crap!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
I'm not particularly sad about my decision. I'll have written everything I think I'm capable of by the end of this year, and that's going to be quite a lot (inclusive of everything I have still waiting to be edited). The writing is on the wall, pardon the pun, for the whole industry. It's going to be more and more of the same, sequels, serial killers and vampires with a heart, jingoistic quasi-military pablum and rehashed romance. I'm even finding myself reading less and less lately because there's less and less that interests me being published either in the mainstream or outside. Every so often you find something beautiful, something that doesn't repeat everything you've ever heard before, and then you realise its a fluke, not the norm.

I'm rambling, in any case I'll have accomplished everything I set out to do come New Year's. I can relax knowing that my ambition of touching a few people with what I wrote, came true. That's enough
i really do understand what you mean, but 1. that's the beauty of feedbooks : you don't have to write sequals, serial killers and vampires with a heart (etc.) to be read there. 2. you can't know you'll have nothing left to say ; from what i know of you, that will never be true. just don't stop because you decided you should, when a new story comes into your head.

you have touched more than a few people with what you wrote, and i think we all will be grateful to you for that forever. but just because the industry is going down a road you don't want to follow (and i support you in that) doesn't mean you should let that dictate whether you write or not.

like verencat said, i don't want to pressure you (well... actually, i kind of do... but i'm trying to keep it in check ) but at the least don't close the door completely. just... write if you have something to say, and don't force yourself if for a time you don't, but don't make it into a question of principle. please ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #19
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Time, mainly, and of course Dan Brown. I always believed that writing was the noble art of communication, much more than just entertainment, more than something to pass time or deaden the nerves against our realities. But I fear that I'm in the minority with that belief when writers such as Dan Brown exist in the eco-system, so I'm not going to waste mine, or anybody else's time with my stories (apart from those who want to read them in the interim).

I really wish I hadn't seen that women, laden with Dan Brown novels in the book shop now. I'm so easily influenced by everything
Let it influence you the other way then! Prove that not everyone is writing opium for the masses, to borrow a phrase You're certainly not wasting anyone else's time by putting good stories out to read (only you can decide if you're wasting your own time)

Some people will always want something to take their mind off the day to day realities. But some people want more. And maybe, just maybe, one of the people buying Dan Brown will be tempted to read something a little harder and more esoteric such as Umberto Eco's Foucault's Pendulum. Or go on to research some of the mangled background to his books (no, I'm not a fan. Yes, I have read some of his books.).
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:22 PM   #20
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Let it influence you the other way then! Prove that not everyone is writing opium for the masses, to borrow a phrase You're certainly not wasting anyone else's time by putting good stories out to read (only you can decide if you're wasting your own time)
yes !!!
Advert
Old 07-31-2009, 09:23 PM   #21
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
... I'll have accomplished everything I set out to do come New Year's. I can relax knowing that my ambition of touching a few people with what I wrote, came true. That's enough
It sounds like your mind is made up, so I guess we'll all have to learn to live with it. So, we'll look forward to the remaining stories and enjoy them while we may.

But, you'll still be around MR, right? Maybe posting links to your techno music or pics of your latest weaved basket.

And, like Zelda says, if, after New Year's, an idea pops into your head, maybe you'll give it one more go. We'd all appreciate it.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
It sounds like your mind is made up, so I guess we'll all have to learn to live with it. So, we'll look forward to the remaining stories and enjoy them while we may.

But, you'll still be around MR, right? Maybe posting links to your techno music or pics of your latest weaved basket.

And, like Zelda says, if, after New Year's, an idea pops into your head, maybe you'll give it one more go. We'd all appreciate it.
moe is doing a much better job than i am of not pressuring you. i do agree with him, i just have much more trouble remaining calm.

but yes, please do share the fruits of your basket-weaving labours (or whatever) with us. i am sure those will be some crazy baskets. and just to make me happy, at least say you'll keep your mind open for new stories, even if you don't necessarily seek them out...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 PM   #23
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i really do understand what you mean, but 1. that's the beauty of feedbooks : you don't have to write sequals, serial killers and vampires with a heart (etc.) to be read there. 2. you can't know you'll have nothing left to say ; from what i know of you, that will never be true. just don't stop because you decided you should, when a new story comes into your head.

you have touched more than a few people with what you wrote, and i think we all will be grateful to you for that forever. but just because the industry is going down a road you don't want to follow (and i support you in that) doesn't mean you should let that dictate whether you write or not.

like verencat said, i don't want to pressure you (well... actually, i kind of do... but i'm trying to keep it in check ) but at the least don't close the door completely. just... write if you have something to say, and don't force yourself if for a time you don't, but don't make it into a question of principle. please ?
I can't not act on principle, it's impossible for me (as I suspect it would be for you too) Never fear I still want to do Atlas Hugged and The Wish of Music before the end of this year, which should be a hell of a lot of fun for everyone . And I still have The Song of Insects / Mortgage of Ghosts / The Murder of Shadows to come as novels, plus about two hundred other shorts. When I do stop I'll have written a fair bit of fiction, so I can be happy with that. But life must move on, there must be times when you make a decision and stick by it.

I've made the decision to stop and must stick by that decision. I'm not sure I can sum up how I feel at the moment over all this, only, maybe the Marx Brothers quote comes close:

I wouldn't want to be part of any kind of club that would have someone like me as a member

even that isn't really what I'm thinking. Up until this point in my life I always imagined my future sat in front of keyboard writing stories, but that's a future I just don't see any more. I think it will be the same for a lot of writers, published and unpublished as we transition over to digital. Self-culling I think it's called
Old 07-31-2009, 09:29 PM   #24
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

(Psst! Guys! We've got six months to show Moejoe how much we appreciate his stories and maybe change his mind!)

What? Me? No, I didn't say anything ...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #25
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
(Psst! Guys! We've got six months to show Moejoe how much we appreciate his stories and maybe change his mind!)

Here is a macrami owl (I'll make this first). Now isn't this much better than stories?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:35 PM   #26
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Never fear I still want to do Atlas Hugged and The Wish of Music before the end of this year, which should be a hell of a lot of fun for everyone . And I still have The Song of Insects / Mortgage of Ghosts / The Murder of Shadows to come as novels, plus about two hundred other shorts.
Three novels and two hundred shorts! That'll keep us busy for a while. Looking forward to them.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to be part of any kind of club that would have someone like me as a member.
Woody Allen also used this in Annie Hall. Note that he's still making movies ... hint, hint ...
Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #27
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt

Quote:
Here is a macrami owl (I'll make this first). Now isn't this much better than stories?

Where do we go to download your macramé owl? Can you send it to me as an attachment? Will it be available in epub?

Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #28
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
I can't not act on principle, it's impossible for me (as I suspect it would be for you too) Never fear I still want to do Atlas Hugged and The Wish of Music before the end of this year, which should be a hell of a lot of fun for everyone . And I still have The Song of Insects / Mortgage of Ghosts / The Murder of Shadows to come as novels, plus about two hundred other shorts.
you know we'll all hold you to that. and you don't have to act on a principle which doesn't exist, that's all i'm saying.

Quote:
When I do stop I'll have written a fair bit of fiction, so I can be happy with that. But life must move on, there must be times when you make a decision and stick by it.

I've made the decision to stop and must stick by that decision. I'm not sure I can sum up how I feel at the moment over all this, only, maybe the Marx Brothers quote comes close:

I wouldn't want to be part of any kind of club that would have someone like me as a member
so be the romantic loner.

Quote:
even that isn't really what I'm thinking. Up until this point in my life I always imagined my future sat in front of keyboard writing stories, but that's a future I just don't see any more. I think it will be the same for a lot of writers, published and unpublished as we transition over to digital. Self-culling I think it's called
except usually the culling is supposed to remove the *weakest* elements...

but, i won't argue (much more) about it, i don't want to drive you crazy.

Quote:

excellent plan. i'm in.

Quote:
so what's up with that owl ? it looks startled, or perhaps high. what has happened to it to make it look that way ? did it have one too many zcds at one of marc's parties ? or something completely different ?

(psst, everybody, just act casually, maybe we can tempt him back... )

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 07-31-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: i don't want to finish my sentences apparently either.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #29
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Where do we go to download your macramé owl? Can you send it to me as an attachment? Will it be available in epub?

you'll submit it to feedbirds, right ???
Old 07-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #30
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:

Well...um....well.. um.. Nope... just can't think of any time that it WOULD be better
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote