Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #16
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Yeah I had the same problem. I'm still looking though.
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:54 AM   #17
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
Trying to find something not too girlie, but then again not too goth. Hmmmmm...
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #18
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I sat on my right hand and played with my jetBook lefty only:

The slider is very easy to use -- fingers on the back of the book, thumb on the slider. Push up for prev page, push down for next page. Its ridged so you can snag a nail against it for extra traction. I sometimes hold my reader along the top right handed wrap-around from the back and can manage the slider with my pinkie, so it doesn't take a lot of finger strength to move.

The page turn buttons in the lower left are also easily accessible with the lefty thumb. Its nicely balanced to hold one handed -- this could be an advantage of the smaller screen (I don't have a 6" for comparison.) The font/OK key area on the lower right is a stretch for my hand while holding the reader along its left side. If I shuffle the reader a bit so I'm holding it in the center bottom instead they are reachable. The number/letter keys on the right are out of reach. (Note: I have small female hands.) The power pretty awkward to turn on and off one handed (its kinda difficult 2 handed as well -- tiny button.)
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:05 AM   #19
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryk_us View Post
So confused...The more readers I look at the more confused I am. I guess I just want them all!
Same problem here!

I wouldn't let format stop you from buying a reader you really like. Format is too easily changed, while a reader that's just not it, isn't...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 05:01 PM   #20
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
Thanks for doing the one hand jetbook test! I really appreciate it. That is one I've been thinking about--in the red of course!

The point about the ease of format conversion is a good one. After all, I've been converting things into EBW 1500 and REB imp formats for years. (Getting a little tired of it though--might be nice to drag and drop!)

I checked out the skins site and made a custom skin for my ipod with a picture of the original series Star Trek cast on the bridge--only someone cut and pasted a huge pizza over the captain's console. I bought this photo with the hand pasted pizza for a quarter at the local thrift store some years ago and scanned it because it was so cute. Now it will adorn my ipod with the quotes "Beam me up" and "Boldly go."

I noticed they had tons of options for the Sony 505. If I like the ipod skin, maybe I'll have to go with the Sony 505 just so it can look snazzy!

Sherry
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #21
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Well even without the skins the 505 already IS snazzy!!!

I still haven't decided which skins I want.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #22
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
I just wanted to let you all know (you were really helpful) that I bought the Sony reader, more because I found a used one for a really good price than any other reason.

I'm using it with calibre on the mac and I really love it. The interface is really intuitive and the page flip works well for me as a leftie. I got a skin for it, which I love, but it also looks good naked. It's so tiny compared to my REB 1200 legacy device! I can carry a smaller sized purse now. I also like not having to switch out the sd card every time I add books as I did with the REB.

That said, the REB and ebookwise folks did some things right. I like the library listing on those--you can sort by author, title, and date added as well as by bookshelf tags. Also, the REB has the color touch screen and that's great for markups on my own personal work. I'm afraid I'll have to keep it, too.

My husband wonders why I need more than one--well what can I say?

Thanks again for the help.

Sherry

PS-Has anyone borrowed Adobe digital edition library books. How does that work?
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #23
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Great Choice! You'll love your 505.

And I borrow library books all the time. The library ebook catalog should have a link to download Adobe Digital Editions already, unless you already have it. Then you find a book you want, check it out and it will download and open with Adobe Digital Editions. Once you plug your reader into the usb port, it will list the reader in the column on the left, and you can drag and drop the books right on to your reader. It's very easy and VERY quick! Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Oh good I can jump in here and have it be relevent to Kelly's post-----sort of.

I downloaded the Adobe Digital, no problem and downloaded a couple books they have for free samples, but the books never showed up in my library! I figure I missed a step somehwere.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #25
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Hmmm...Where did you download the books from? When it downloaded, did you say that you wanted to open them with Adobe Digital Editions? I can't think of anything else. I remember I also downloaded some sample books from Adobe's library. I'm on my way out the door right now, but when I come back, if you still can't get it, I'll try and help more.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #26
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's were I downloaded the books from-

http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/library/

I chose a book and clicked on Download Item. It didn't ask what I wanted to open it with. I tried it again and saved it to the hard drive, then tried to drag/drop it to the Library. That didn't work either.

Oh well, it will getfiguredout.

Thanks Kelly!
Old 06-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #27
benham
Guru

I tried it again today and it worked fine, I authorized the computer even though it was authorized during download and made sure the application was closed before downloading. It looks nicer then the Sony library anyway.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:51 PM   #28
kelly1010
Book Addict!

Glad you finally figured it out! Happy reading!