Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
millerjpmd
millerjpmd doesn't littermillerjpmd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Other PDF manipulation options

Thanks for the find. I started a thread concerning a similar issue with PDFs. This is what I found related to converting from a PDF.

Programs that allow you to manipulate and extract info from PDF:
File Juicer ($17,http://echoone.com/filejuicer/)
deskUNPDF ($100,
http://www.docudesk.com/deskUNPDF_product_home.shtml)
PDFpen and PDFpenPro ($50-100, http://www.smileonmymac.com/index.html)

Program that allows you to join multiple pdfs into single file with Table of Contents:
PDF Lab (free, http://www.iconus.ch/fabien/products/pleng/pleng.html)

w/r to just getting the PDF into a PRS-505 calibre, for the most part, worked as well as any of these programs

Hope this helps.

jpm
millerjpmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:11 AM   #17
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nice conversion method

When converting a PDF with pictures for an ebook device, I found a good method with minimal fuss. It is a bit time consuming and you need a 3rd party product.

Use ABBY Finereader to convert to LIT format, then convert the LIT to the ebook format of your choice. Pictures will be preserved. Abby Finereader takes a while to convert for its own format, but it will also handle scanned books. I have not tried 2 column PDFs, but an average PDF with pictures is OK.

I then use BookDesigner to convert from LIT to LRF and the result is quite good.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-31-2009, 03:53 AM   #18
namiamy
Banned
namiamy began at the beginning.

Device: none
good find. thx.
i got more knowledge about adobe...
namiamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:59 PM   #19
stranjer
n00b
stranjer began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505
thanks for the trick BlackVoid, I'm gonna try this myself...
stranjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #20
sEventoRii
sEventoRii began at the beginning.

Device: prs 300
very useful!
thx for sharing.~`
sEventoRii is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 05:20 AM   #21
kirby10
kirby10 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
pdf conversion

I use the Calibre ebook management system. It has a reasonably good converter, and converts pdf to epub, among many others. The only problem I have is that I can't seem to enlarge the fonts, even after manually adjusting the conversion settings; and books converted in this manner do not respond to the font scaling commands on my e-reader (kobo).
kirby10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #22
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
(a squeak from a long-term silent reader)
how about: http://www.accesspdf.com/pdftk/
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:49 AM   #23
k0077
k0077 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
i find that when i convert to PDF using Calibre when i put it onto my sony reader PRS-300, not all the pages upload, like its blank for half of teh book, but all the pages are there when you open it on my computer??? does anyone know how to fix this??? because most of my ebooks are pdf format??
also does anyone know a free pdf to word.doc creator that converts the whole book???

I really like odf but its so annoying when the whole book doesnt show??

or i dont know if its my ereader because all other formats seem to work??

help please
k0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:49 PM   #24
sam3168
sam3168 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thank you for the link. It's very useful.
sam3168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:31 PM   #25
Henry33
Henry33 began at the beginning.

Device: none
There are a lot of resources for editing pdf documents and for me it has been difficult to find one that doesn't require a large monthly subscription or upfront fee to download the software (I want to know what I'm getting before I commit to buying it if possible). One editor I really like is PDF Pro, https://www.pdfpro.co

With PDF Pro you can covert documents from Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher) without having to install any software, so all your documents are saved in the cloud.They also have a pay as you go service and allow you to download your first PDFs for free so you can test it out and decide if you like it.
Henry33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #26
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
When converting a PDF with pictures for an ebook device, I found a good method with minimal fuss. It is a bit time consuming and you need a 3rd party product.

Use ABBY Finereader to convert to LIT format, then convert the LIT to the ebook format of your choice. Pictures will be preserved. Abby Finereader takes a while to convert for its own format, but it will also handle scanned books. I have not tried 2 column PDFs, but an average PDF with pictures is OK.

I then use BookDesigner to convert from LIT to LRF and the result is quite good.
Is there a free or cheaper program that does the same thing? $199.99 for a program is a bit steep for me at least.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote