Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
jamesdmanley
Groupie
jamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-booksjamesdmanley has learned how to read e-books

Device: prs-500
+1 for the no impulse buying. if theres something expensive i want i research it and similar items. if i still want it after spending a few hours reading about it i usually sleep on it for a few weeks. i also think about things in terms of how much time i would spend at work to pay for it. it may not help you much if you make a decent salary, but with college tuition and my meager wage it helps me curb any expensive impulse buys.

on my list of future purchases is a canon 5d (upgrade to my 30d) and a couple lenses, rockband the game (to play with my dad and uncle, all of us former/current musicians), cz 75 b (for protection and sport), and of course several thousand dollars worth of parts and modifications to my cars (to quench my addiction to speed).
jamesdmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 03:52 PM   #17
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Or you could adopt a 'one in, one out' policy. If you buy a new gadget then one of the existing ones has to go.
This does help to cut down on clutter and makes one think twice about whether an item is necessary.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 05:30 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
Technology is the most important aspect of my life. Without it, I wouldn't have a job, and probably won't have many useful skills.

I think that impulse buying is a big part of the issue. However, it's not all impulse. I meticulously research all of my purchases before buying them. I compare to alternative products. I know every detail about what something can do before I buy it.

This thread isn't really a cry for help or anything like that. It's meant more as a humorous observation of something I deal with daily.
Getting married and responsibility of a family certainly cut down on my purchases but I still buy gadgets for technology reasons. I have a bigger collection that you but it is because I don't get rid of older things and am older than you. I still have my original Commodore Pet, my HP21 calculator and countless others but I do not buy the same thing over and over like 4 different eBook readers. I will likely buy another one but only after the current one is a bit older.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:49 PM   #19
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
... I still have my original Commodore Pet, my HP21 calculator ...

Dale
Dale:

I sold my Commodore 64 ages ago (for an Amiga 1000/3000) but still have my trusty HP15C and Commodore Scientific Programmable calculator (SR 9190R)!

Reference pictures attached for the younger crowd!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Commodore_64.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	12237   Click image for larger version

Name:	HP15C.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	12238   Click image for larger version

Name:	CommodoreSR-9190R.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	12239  
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:55 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I've got a Nixdorf around here somewhere ....

I also have an HP 35 calculator, two recordable 8-tracks and several unused punch-cards ... do those count as gadgets?

Oh, and my Flashy Light Box.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #21
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
y'all should get together and open a museum of decrepit technology. i'm honestly not being sarcastic. you could probably retrace the evolution of the computer between you,it would be fascinating.

i remember having a Commodore 64, i beleive, but i don't remember doing much with it. to be more precise my *father* had the commodore 64. also i remember the detail that it (or maybe the one that came after it) could save data to audio cassettes and that always seemed very fishy to me.

i have no idea where any of all that is now. maybe my father still has it. that wouldn't surprise me.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:30 PM   #22
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Dale:

I sold my Commodore 64 ages ago (for an Amiga 1000/3000) but still have my trusty HP15C and Commodore Scientific Programmable calculator (SR 9190R)!

Reference pictures attached for the younger crowd!
Never owned a 64 but I do still own a Commodore Plus 4. I even have an original Osborne. I had an original mac but my son took it back. He now works at Apple and thinks it is cool to have it setting on his desk at work.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:29 PM   #23
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Adam, the answer is simple -- get a second or maybe a third job. This will repair your finances (if required), reduce the time available to research or purchase gadgets, and reduce wear and tear on your current gadgets.

It is not a terminal condition that 30+ years couldn't cure. At least that's what they tell me. There are only 4 computers in this room plus the laptops and theres my wife's computer and ....

(I think there's some parts from the old S-100 bus Z-80 computer in the basement.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:11 AM   #24
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I'm a fellow gadget addict, too. And I'm married with kids! My solution is stay out of gadget stores and only allow myself visits to gadget websites once a week. And a strict budget. Put at least 10% of your paycheck into savings/retirement before you pay bills.

Let's see between the four of us we own: 2 desktops, 1 media server (all built by me), 1 linux desktop, 1 laptop (does not include husband's work laptop), 1 tablet, 2 working PDAs, 2 dedicated readers, 2 HDTVs, 2 regular TVs (actually more like displays for game systems), 6 or more MP3/MP4 players, 3 cellphones (one semi-smart), Wii, Xbox 360, PS2, DS, 2 GBA, and 1 embroidery machine (Bernina 200E which runs Windows CE). I'm a little embarrassed by the list, my kids are spoiled (and gadget addicts in the making!)

Personally, I tend not to keep old computer parts even though we have a nice collection of older Cisco routers thanks to hubby.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 AM   #25
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
A female gadget lover? I need to find me one of those

I tend not to keep things around too long after they've outlived their usefulness. But then again, I have a very large container filled with spare parts and cables. You never know when you might need an AGP video card...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 AM   #26
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Let's see between the four of us we own: 2 desktops, 1 media server (all built by me), 1 linux desktop, 1 laptop (does not include husband's work laptop), 1 tablet, 2 working PDAs, 2 dedicated readers, 2 HDTVs, 2 regular TVs (actually more like displays for game systems), 6 or more MP3/MP4 players, 3 cellphones (one semi-smart), Wii, Xbox 360, PS2, DS, 2 GBA, and 1 embroidery machine (Bernina 200E which runs Windows CE). I'm a little embarrassed by the list, my kids are spoiled (and gadget addicts in the making!)
Whoever dies with the most toys wins. You certainly got me beat. Wait... Do only operating devices count?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:41 AM   #27
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
A female gadget lover? I need to find me one of those
There are several of us around. Be aware, however, that the type of gadget loved by the woman you find may differ -- maybe significantly -- from those that attract you. Note TallMomof2's Bernina 200E. That may not be interesting to you. Nor the Cricut I've been lusting after. But then again, I don't plan to use the neighbor's CarveWright computer-controlled router, though I do admire it.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:45 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
There are several of us around. Be aware, however, that the type of gadget loved by the woman you find may differ -- maybe significantly -- from those that attract you. Note TallMomof2's Bernina 200E. That may not be interesting to you. Nor the Cricut I've been lusting after. But then again, I don't plan to use the neighbor's CarveWright computer-controlled router, though I do admire it.
Just remember from the bible:

Thou shall not covet thy neighboors router.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:29 PM   #29
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I respect gadgets of all types, shapes, colors. Being a gadget lover is enough for me.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Compuuuter controlled routers ... oooooh.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote