Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 02-08-2008, 12:01 PM   #31
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell View Post
BTW, off topic, do any of you folks know how the Hadron collider is progressing? I'd sure love to know when results of experiments might start coming in.
They haven't started running beam yet. Here are some articles that might or might not be of interest!
http://www.symmetrymagazine.org/cms/?pid=1000562

In addition to being sort-of their competitor, Fermilab is also their collaborator. We have a remote control room set up here, where physicists can monitor the operations that are going on in CERN, in Switzerland.

P.S. Fermilab's daily e-newsletter for today, Feb 8, 2008 has a short bit about the search for the Higgs.
http://www.fnal.gov/pub/today/archive.html

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 02-08-2008 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add article about Higgs
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 PM   #32
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks bgDeb! Great articles, and a link to this site also... http://www.uslhc.us/ where scientists are blogging the LHC. It's now on my feed reader list!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 PM   #33
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by norayr View Post
Thanks very much Mike, I did convert some pdf-s, and the conversion seems quite reliable.

On a side not thought I am not sure about how it would actually look on the screen...
I mean to me it seems that the conversion is basically a scaling process, in landscape mode you have the feeling that too little is shown at a time, and you have to scroll to often, and some of the fonts might look too small in portrait mode when actually shown on the device. It is too bad Sony does not sell them in Europe, so I can't check it in a shop... (while I can ask my brother to order one in US).
After processing the file a couple different ways you can view it in Libprs500. I had the same reservations about the landscape mode, but I'm really quite happy with the way landscape displays. 1/2 page at a time is fine for most of the stuff I read (math, physics, exercise physiology papers). Especially since the conversion handles images and tables so nicely. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised once you get it.

Good Luck,

Mike
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #34
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yeah, we do But growing a business must have been pretty rewarding as well.
Thanks, Yes it has been and is rewarding.... Sports nutrition. We're in about 50 countries and have well over a hundred SKU's in our line. We create a lot of incomes for a lot of people, and that feels real good. My favorite part, though, is developing the products and working with the athletes. That's what I will continue to do in my "consulting" role. After nearly 25 years, the day-to-day "business" side of running the company is is not terribly challenging, but the "research and development" side of human performance is fresh every day. Especially in the last year. Some new investigation techniques have opened up a whole new arena of research and the papers are getting much more interesting.

Mike

I'm still looking for a good paper by Dr. Jones that explains his device's dependance on entanglement.
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #35
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm surprised to see how many people around here are scientists and mathematicians. I just completed a Bachelor in Science in Nanotechnology and my honours project was in theoretical physics (effective field theory of nucleon interactions). It was a very interesting year but I've decided theoretical physics isn't for me so I'm looking for work in something a little more applied. However I'd love to work at somewhere like Fermilab or CERN one day.

Back to the original topic... I am amazed how well PDFLRF works. I've just tried converting some of my maths and physics books and they look great! The LRF files turn out a bit big (in filesize) but with a 2 GB SD card this isn't a problem. And I agree with Mike that having the files rotated 90 degrees makes them very easy to read. Articles with lots of equations and graphs look great as well. I'm going to try out some magazines next.

I now have so many physics ebooks to read that I don't know where to start.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2008, 05:44 AM   #36
noxela
noxela began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm not a math guy either. But reading all your post entice my mind. It's really clever if your a math wizard. You're all great!
noxela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #37
Gud
Gud began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 (int)
Could someone post a picture of a math book on the Sony 505?
Gud is offline   Reply With Quote