Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 05-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #61
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
SURVIVING THE COLLAPSE, a tie-in anthology featuring aliens and technology from the Dark Expanse video game, is free on Amazon as part of a promotional push by the publisher.
Thanks for the link.

Quote:
If you grab a free copy, you can read them and maybe even send me fan mail. (I like fan mail.)
Well, I'll try to read and write.
Erstmal viele Grüße vom Südende der Ostsee!
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:28 PM   #62
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
More freebies!

Moozvine is hosting "The Man Who Murdered Himself", one of my older short stories, as part of its launch week extravaganzas. It can be downloaded in PDF, ePub, and mobi format, or sent directly to a kindle.

I'm also pleased to announce that "Planetbound" will be appearing in the TOR anthology CHASING SHADOWS, edited by David Brin and Stephen W. Potts. No publication date yet, but I'll keep everyone posted.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 02:30 PM   #63
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For Halloween this year, I have acquired a pseudonym.

In other news, "The Cyborg and the Cemetery" funded at Moozvine in just four days, which means it can now be read for free in pdf, mobi and epub formats. This story grew out of a simple premise. What happens if you hook a guy to a prosthetic leg, then require the leg to behave intelligently based on information tapped from the host's neural and endocrine systems?

Last edited by Nancy Fulda; 10-13-2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:59 PM   #64
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK, so rule of thumb:
An owl trick-or-treating is under Sherrida Pope.
An owl as a experimental genetically engineered companion animal to help a blind child trick-or-treat is probably under Nancy Fulda.

Have I got it?

:-)
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 10:05 PM   #65
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
OK, so rule of thumb:
An owl trick-or-treating is under Sherrida Pope.
An owl as a experimental genetically engineered companion animal to help a blind child trick-or-treat is probably under Nancy Fulda.

Have I got it?

:-)
LOL! Yeah, that pretty much covers it.

*wanders off to draft hard sf story about genetically modified service owls*
Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 PM   #66
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Guest posts on various blogs:

SFWA - What to expect when you start an internet kerfluffle
Bready or Not - A bit of Nutella reminiscing and a yummy cookie recipe
Spencer Ellsworth's blog - guest post on writing and parenting

Also, remember that novel I've been promising forever? It's finished. My top-choice agent doesn't like it enough to represent it (but he did like it enough to take me out to breakfast and tell me to send him more stuff).

I keep thinking I'll just set it aside and let it be an unsold manuscript. But then the little voice in my head that falls in love with all my characters starts insisting that this novel is too good for that, that it shouldn't languish, that it should head out into the world even if I'm not yet writing NYT Bestselling manuscripts. As in, perhaps I should send it around to a couple of publishers after all.

Still mulling it over. Is this an early manuscript that should die, or is it a genius manuscript waiting for the right fan base? What to do, what to do?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:32 PM   #67
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe in the future there will be a way for you to publish your manuscript without an agent or publisher and yet still reach a huge market. Perhaps through some electronic form of book and even an electronic bookstore of some sort.

Oh, wait....

Last edited by ApK; 10-22-2015 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:38 PM   #68
ApK

(Version 2, in case you were looking for a shill to feed you a straight line)

Nancy, have you considered self-publishing?
Old 10-23-2015, 12:40 AM   #69
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Maybe in the future there will be a way for you to publish your manuscript without an agent or publisher and yet still reach a huge market. Perhaps through some electronic form of book and even an electronic bookstore of some sort.

Oh, wait....
Lol! Yes, I've thought about it. My conclusions run along the following lines:

(a) Self-pub is a lot of work (I've done it with short fiction collections). It turns out that I love cover design, market placement, and strategic marketing via blog tours. On the flip side, I despise proofreading, formatting, and error-checking. Novels have a lot of the latter.

(b) Trad publishing brings in an additional vetting process. If I can convince an acquisitions editor, a marketing department, and a final decision-maker to hop on board with this project, that's pretty good evidence that I'm not delusional.

(c) Independent and unbiased (but hopefully enthusiastic) editor.

(d) Legitimacy. Self-pub authors can and have produced spectacular books, but in terms of pure statistics a self-published author has a harder time getting bookstore placement, promo opportunities, and general street credit than a trad-pub author who can leverage the reputation of her publisher.

(e) Someone else pays for review copies?

Obviously, most of those arguments only apply to big-name publishers with a solid track record. By the time you get down to the small press, it pretty much turns into a toss-up.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #70
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Best of luck with the novel. My advice (bear in mind I don't write books) would be to send out the novel to other agents and any suitable publishers that still take direct submission, while at the same time working on the next one.

Is it something Baen might be interested in? You have a contact or two there, I thought?
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:11 PM   #71
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.

It may not be blazing guns enough for Baen, but it's somewhere in the ballpark. Worth mulling it over, at least...
Old 10-24-2015, 02:32 AM   #72
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
It may not be blazing guns enough for Baen, but it's somewhere in the ballpark. Worth mulling it over, at least...
They published It's up to Charlie Hardin which not only has no blazing guns, but isn't even SF/Fantasy. Worth a try, surely, especially if you have any way to get it towards the top of their slush pile.
pdurrant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
They published It's up to Charlie Hardin which not only has no blazing guns, but isn't even SF/Fantasy. Worth a try, surely, especially if you have any way to get it towards the top of their slush pile.
Baen certainly don't only publish military SF/fantasy. Look at Jody Lynn Nie's "Dreamland" trilogy, for example, or Warren L. Douglas' "Veil of Years" trilogy, which is based on mediaeval French myths.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote