Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Netronix

Notices

Old 10-31-2007, 03:39 AM   #1
micro
Connoisseur
micro doesn't littermicro doesn't littermicro doesn't litter

Device: STAReBOOK STK-101
StarEBook vs bookeen reader

Now, I know they come from the same factory, but how similar are they. The specs seem much the same except for the newer screen on the bookeen unit.

I wonder what the possibilities of loading CyBook Gen 3 firmware onto a StarEBook are.

Would certainly solve all my issues ...

I wonder...........

micro
micro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 03:40 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And it would (IMHO) give you a more modern up-to-date reading experience providing the firmware for the Gen3 works.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
That is would..and mobipocket support!!!
Maybe i'll be able to try it soon.

Last edited by CommanderROR; 10-31-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: NDA
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In order to obtain the firmware legally, you would, I presume, have to buy a CyBook. It would certainly NOT be legal for anyone (except Bookeen) to give you a copy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:35 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
In order to obtain the firmware legally, you would, I presume, have to buy a CyBook. It would certainly NOT be legal for anyone (except Bookeen) to give you a copy.
Or one could download the image from their download/support page would be 'legal' if that page hasn't been reserved for registered customers.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2007, 01:48 AM   #6
micro
Connoisseur

mm, more format support. That would be awsome. Fingers crossed that it works.

I must say I'm a bit disapointed with StarERead considering some of us went out of our way to pick up a StarEBook and no promised updates. Espec as we know they have been busy making ebook readers for another company. Oh well, early adopters curse.

micro
Old 11-04-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Or one could download the image from their download/support page would be 'legal' if that page hasn't been reserved for registered customers.
Surely, though, a part of the price one is paying for the CyBook is payment for a licence to run the software. If one does not possess that software licence, it would not be legal to install the software on a different machine, regardless of whether or not it can be freely downloaded.

It would be best to ask Bookeen about the legality of supplying a ROM image to someone who hasn't bought a CyBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Surely, though, a part of the price one is paying for the CyBook is payment for a licence to run the software. If one does not possess that software licence, it would not be legal to install the software on a different machine, regardless of whether or not it can be freely downloaded.

It would be best to ask Bookeen about the legality of supplying a ROM image to someone who hasn't bought a CyBook.
I'd be more worried about trashing the STAReBOOK. But, as I don't *have* one, I'm not *that* worried. (This *would* make a nice adjunct sales for Bookeen if they were to test out 'upgrading' the STAReBOOK hardware to run Cybook firmware. Of course, it would be a minor tick in the revenue column, but just think of the goodwill it would generate!)

But I wouldn't push for this right now. Think about it; Bookeen is making a serious push to get their Gen3 Cybook out the door to customers, add in last-minute changes and updates and all that... Nope, it makes sense to ask for this kind of 'firmware-only' update at a later date when, maybe, those wonderful people at Bookeen have a chance to breathe a little. I doubt it would be as fascinating to them at this time. Just my humble opinion.

Derek

Last edited by delphidb96; 11-04-2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Wanted to add some thoughts.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 PM   #9
micro
Connoisseur

heya derek,

all sounding like common sense to me. I guess it all depends just how different the StarEBook and the Cybook are internally. If its just a very very small difference, then it would really be great if htey released it as a paid upgrade.

However, nobody is expecting them to pour resources into it.

Lets wait and see,

micro
Old 11-08-2007, 06:10 AM   #10
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I just sent a message to bookeen directly and asked them what they think. If I get anything useful out of them then I'll let you know. Maybe they will at least allow me to attempt a reflash at my own risk which I would be willing to do.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I just sent a message to bookeen directly and asked them what they think. If I get anything useful out of them then I'll let you know. Maybe they will at least allow me to attempt a reflash at my own risk which I would be willing to do.
Any word yet?
Old 11-18-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

None at all...and I'm not expecting any actually.
This is the stance of most companies when faced with difficult questions...no comment...
Old 11-19-2007, 01:25 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
None at all...and I'm not expecting any actually.
This is the stance of most companies when faced with difficult questions...no comment...
I'd rather they said they didn't no or the answer was no. Then at least we would have a response. Bookeen is not the most responsive company it seems.