Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 07-04-2010, 08:50 PM   #1
rogersgeorge
Edge User

suggestion for another protective device

When I fold my edge clear around, I worry that I will damage the screen on the bottom, for example, by laying it on a fork in my favorite restaurant.

I picture a sheet of stiff plastic or metal with a screen-sized flet pad on one side, and velcro buttons at the corners that match ones on the two edge faces. Pop it on whichever screen you're not using, and you can lay the device down anywhere with impunity. Be nice if it were thin enough to leave in place when you close the edge, too.

I'm about to make one myself, but it won't be as classy as a professional job. I think I have a scrap of 18 ga sheet metal out in the shed, and my wife has some velcro, and fabric for the padding. She's an artist--maybe I can get her to paint a fancy picture on it.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
pat.indie
Edge User

Sounds like a neat idea. I am interested in seeing how it turns out.

I must confess I have often thought about making a custom 'case' for eDGe myself.

Advert
Old 07-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
rogersgeorge
Edge User

I'll work on it tomorrow after I get some firewood cut. I'll post how it works.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:47 AM   #4
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersgeorge View Post
When I fold my edge clear around, I worry that I will damage the screen on the bottom, for example, by laying it on a fork in my favorite restaurant.

That was my concern (here) as well.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
rogersgeorge
Edge User

Okay, folks, here's what I have so far for that screen protector. A link to the photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rogers.g...eat=directlink Click to enlarge.

I took a pair of tin snips to an old cookie sheet, which was slightly warped because of a history of having a pizza cutter run over it over the years. The warping doesn't seem to matter, but I put it so the concave side is out. I think will reduce any tendency to spin on a bulging center. My dear sweet wife had a piece of fuzz-backed naugahyde or something like that and a can of spray adhesive. We cut the material maybe half an inch smaller than the shorter dimensions of the screens. I cut the cookie sheet to 9-3/8 by 6-3/8 inches. This dimension just fits inside the buttons and the rubber pads on the corners. I rounded the corners by hand with the snips. I spent some time on the edges with a file, sandpaper, and scotchbrite to eliminate the sharpness. That industrial grunge pattern you see is the evidence of many cookies and pizzas. We don't happen to have any velcro buttons in the house, so I used a couple rubber bands and they actually work okay.

Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
rogersgeorge
Edge User

Lemme guess--duct tape? Good point about the buttons. This one is a prototype (my wife says anyone can buy the design for a million bucks). I want to miss the corner pads, though, in the interest of thinness.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:24 PM   #7
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersgeorge View Post
Okay, folks, here's what I have so far for that screen protector. A link to the photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/rogers.g...eat=directlink Click to enlarge.

. . .That industrial grunge pattern you see is the evidence of many cookies and pizzas. . . .
Cooool. You better copyright that image before it ends up a new wrap design on the Gelaskins site. ;-)

Old 07-06-2010, 06:32 AM   #8
rogersgeorge
Edge User

heh. Legally, everything is copyrighted by default unless you specify otherwise. Thanks for the compliment, though. I imagine everyone has their own unique pattern in their kitchen somewhere.

I have used the thing for a day now. I definitely like the idea of velcro buttons. The rubber bands don't hold it securely enough, and it's a nuisance to switch the plate to the other screen. I'll have to be sure to place the buttons at different locations on the two pages so I don't get a stack of velcro buttons at each corner. I suppose corners for one side, center of the sides for the other.