Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #31
RajS
Enthusiast
RajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmosRajS has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-950
The back is NOT metal. Would not advise using anything like paint thinner or nail varnish remover on it.
RajS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajS View Post
The back is NOT metal. Would not advise using anything like paint thinner or nail varnish remover on it.
Excellent point! I forgot the back is plastic.

Hey, put it in a cover and you won't notice the stickiness. Or maybe stick your choice of a sticker over the sticky area.

Speaking of covers I've read that many of the nookcolor covers will work with the 950, but they have to be the kind without the builtin Nook cradle. In other words, the kind with four corner straps. You can take your 950 to the store and see which covers will fit.
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 02:57 PM   #33
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Petroleum ether solves this kind of glue off about anything. Even the most delicate paper.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:59 PM   #34
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Petroleum ether solves this kind of glue off about anything. Even the most delicate paper.
Is that the same thing as Vaseline?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #35
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
No, on the contrary, it is the stuff the dry cleaner smells of.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #36
lstroyan
No title
lstroyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I know it seems so simple, but try rubbing alcohol.

I would suggest you go out and buy rubbing alcohol that is the highest strength they have -- I've found 95-98% in the past but last time only 91%. It is pretty amazing at taking off sticky without messing up other stuff. It takes a lot longer and some rubbing and of course you want to do it in a sample spot to see if it takes off the silver coating or the text (most likely it would take off the text).

You can use regular rubbing alcohol (78%) BUT the water portion would damage electronics so carefully put on rag first.

also would recommend rag over paper because of lint/dust.

P.S. 95% rubbing alcohol cleans up old standard photos too, and removes scrapbooking stickers with top application, which is my main use for it!

If I get a chance I'll try rubbing alcohol on the back of mine and let you know.

Lisa
lstroyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #37
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
I'd use LCD screen cleaner and alot of rubbing. Mostly because I'd be very worried about the other solutions and the potential to weaken the plastic. And also if something accidentially came on my screen, but I am a scared cat

But here are the classes of solvents for removing glues from surfaces, in order of increasing seriousness (and increased risk of damaging surfaces such as plastics) are:

Soaps & detergents.
sweet organic oils, such as vegetable oil, corn oil, etc.
acidic organic oils, such as lemon oil, orange oil, or eucalyptus oil.
petroleum ethers, such as naptha, lighter fluid (zippo or other brands), and products like Goo-Gone, Ronsonol, etc.
ketones, like acetone, nail polish remover, paint thinner.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #38
lstroyan
No title
lstroyan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I think the petroleum ethers are marketed in scrapbooking stores for lifting stickers. It's nasty stuff, though, from a health standpoint, so I always try rubbing alcohol first, which takes 2-3 times as long but gets most of the same stuff up. Only use the really strong stuff on paper though, the extra water will wrinkle the paper otherwise.
lstroyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:59 PM   #39
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Goo Gone!

Put it on a paper towel and rub it on, so it doesn't go everywhere. Leave it on for a minute or so, then scrub it off with another paper towel or a rag/dishcloth.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:09 PM   #40
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyor View Post
As for the collections, you can either use the calibre tags, which will create an ungodly mess. Or you can use the Sony Calibre plug-in. I used it to sort all my collections after authors, since I prefer it that way . SD card works same way.
Sony Calibre plug-in? What does that do exactly? And where does one find it?

I so far haven't minded the collections via tags, actually I like it, but I do re-tag all my books added to Calibre to *my* preferences, rather than just leaving whatever tags on them they might come with.

Last edited by graycyn; 06-05-2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: added question
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #41
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Speaking of the back of the Sony... does anyone know how it behaves next to dyed leather?

Asking because I've ordered an Oberon K2 cover for my new Sony 950, but I did have a Nook WiFi (white back) stain a bit in spots from the black leather next to it and would prefer to avoid a similar result on the Sony. (Nook back replaceable... Sony not.)

I figured I could try a piece of paper between the back and the cover at worst... but if it's not an issue, that would also be good to know.
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #42
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Speaking of the back of the Sony... does anyone know how it behaves next to dyed leather?

Asking because I've ordered an Oberon K2 cover for my new Sony 950, but I did have a Nook WiFi (white back) stain a bit in spots from the black leather next to it and would prefer to avoid a similar result on the Sony. (Nook back replaceable... Sony not.)

I figured I could try a piece of paper between the back and the cover at worst... but if it's not an issue, that would also be good to know.
My Sony has been in an Oberon cover since November. It has a skin on it. Some of the pattern has white flowers, and they still look as good as new.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #43
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Sony Calibre plug-in? What does that do exactly? And where does one find it?

I so far haven't minded the collections via tags, actually I like it, but I do re-tag all my books added to Calibre to *my* preferences, rather than just leaving whatever tags on them they might come with.
You find it under:

preferences->plugins->device interface plugins->sony device interface (1.0.0).
you then go to customize plugin at the bottom.

I am not the best to explain it, as I JUST got my PRS-950 and is learning how to customize it to my needs.

But what you CAN do here is set the ways you want your collections sorted, I am using "authors" to sort it. do some stuff with covers and thumbnails too.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #44
anabolina
Groupie
anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anabolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current: tablet, kindle paperwhite, onyx boox t68. Past: Sony, nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Goo Gone!

Put it on a paper towel and rub it on, so it doesn't go everywhere. Leave it on for a minute or so, then scrub it off with another paper towel or a rag/dishcloth.
Hey, you beat me to suggesting this. I love the orangy smell and it does a great job of removing sticky residue. I once used it to remove a bumper sticker from my sister's new car and the paint underneath was a little discolored, but the sticker had probably been on the car for years.

I'm happy you were able to get a decent floor model, I was going to buy one, but the one at the BB first I went to did not look like it was in decent condition (covered with smudges and I couldn't tell if there were scratches on it because of all the smudges) and the sales guy wasn't sure how to remove it from its stand and the second BB's floor model was in much better condition and I was all set to buy it before deciding I didn't want to once more try to explain that it was a working floor unit and try to get the sales guy to figure out hour to remove it from the stand. Still it worked out for the best because there was this awesome salesgirl who actually ordered it from another BB in the state. :-)

Good luck with your 950, I hope you love it.

Last edited by anabolina; 06-06-2011 at 04:55 PM.
anabolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #45
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Thank you!

I should report that the BB sticker peeled off with very little hassle (yay!) and some water and a light scrub on the back was all that was needed to lift the sticky fingerprints (yay!).
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote