Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Stratagemo
Stratagemo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Hello from Australia and some Questions

Hi all,

I just wanted to introduce myself, I just joined the site. Seems like an excellent place to get information and learn more about ebooks and readers.

To give you some background to myself, I live in Sydney, Australia and I have never had an ereader but I am very strongly considering getting one. I was hoping to get some nooby advice on what to buy considering my circumstances.

It seems that there are a few ereaders available here in Australia, the Iliad, iRex, etc. However these seem very expensive. I was also looking at the Sony 700, which seems much cheaper than these others.

I was wondering how useable the Sony is in Australia (in terms of getting ebooks for it) and also whether or not it is available here for purchase, or is it only available from the US?

Would the Sony be a good way to go, or would the Iliad, Irex, etc be a better buy?

Also, I was wondering if the Kindles were available here in Australia yet? I think that they can only be purchased in the US (or with a US credit card) and getting ebookscan be a pain from overseas.

I guess I would just like to know which ereader would be the best to buy and use in Australia.

Sorry for the rambling post but I would very much appreciate any help that you all could give me!

Thanks very much!

Ash

Last edited by Stratagemo; 05-09-2009 at 10:16 PM.
Stratagemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi stratagemo and welcome ! we've got more and more aussies lately, you'll feel right at home ! i'm not sure where you are but there is an australian meetup planned in Melbourne soon, you might want to go if you're not too far away.

as for your questions, i've got a sony 700 and i love it, so i'm a bit partial. they're only available in the US / Canada for the moment but you can order them online, B&H photo will ship overseas. the sony devices will read epub format which is available from more and more vendors, otherwise you can convert to that format using calibre, a free library management and conversion tool (see the calibre forum here). there's no particular trouble getting content for it apart from the occasional "geographical restriction" for some books which can be gotten around by claiming you live in the US. you can shop at the sony ebook store from outside the US by using a gift card, which many of our members are happy to procure for you.

i don't know much about the irex devices so i'll let someone else answer that bit.

the kindle is currently only available in the US, however you can sometimes find them on ebay from a vendor willing to ship overseas, and there are workarounds for getting content there too.

in addition, there are a lot of sources for getting free ebooks, including right here (see the "ebooks" link in the blue nav bar at the top of the page), feedbooks.com, and baen's free library if you like science fiction.

personally, i would recommend you choose a device which supports the epub format (sony does, among others). it's the new industry standard, and a much better format than others in terms of layout features and future-proofing, since it's an open format.

take a look around the forums, feel free to ask any questions you have, and don't miss the wiki as well for tons of helpful info (link at the top of any page).

i'm sure you'll love whatever device you end up choosing.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
G'day Ash and welcome to MobileRead. Good advice there from Zelda. I have a Sony 505 and like it a lot. I've had my hands on a 700 and like that too. Be sure and let us know what you finally decide.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
hi Ash I live in Canada but have a friend in Aus. that has a sony. I own a 505 and love it. I looked at the 700 but found the screen a little dark for me and the back lighting didn't help. So if your looking at Sony compare the two screens before you buy, I'm sure either way you'll make the right choice. This site is amazing for information also..I have learned a ton and theres nothing wrong with free books either
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Stratagemo

Hi everyone,

Wow, thank you very much for the replies! They were very informative and have really helped me a lot.

I think that I will go for the Sony as it seems like a good buy for Australia.

I'll definitely let you all know how it goes and I'm sure that I'll have a number of noobish questions for you in the near future.

Thanks again!

Ash
Old 05-10-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi Ash

Im in Brisbane and have a Sony, I love it. I got mine new on ebay.

I dont have any issues with getting books, I either buy in EPub format, or Microsoft reader and convert them.

Good luck and I hope that you like your Sony!

Dawn
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
nigeldb
email tragic
nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.nigeldb once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iLiad, Cybook, iPhone
Hi Stratagemo,

See a fair number of Sony responses so I thought I'd add my 2 cents. I started with a Iliad as I wanted to use something I could also makes notes with. I find the Iliad fantastic for what I need and I do like the slightly larger screen.

Having got the Iliad, I had to prise it from my wife's hands...... so after getting some advice from the group, and a demo from cbell (thanks cbell)..... I got my wife a Bookeen as it is compatible with Iliad. I was a bit concerned about sharing books between Iliad and Sony. My wife has since discovered that she can now read faster as she doesn't need to flip the pages

The only thing you may want to consider is after sales support?

All the best....from Melbourne

Ndb
nigeldb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
robinoz
robinoz doesn't litterrobinoz doesn't litter

Device: SONY E BOOK
Smile Sony 505 owner

Hi Stratagemo

I bought my 505 in USA 18 months ago and it works perfectly. One good thing about it is that you can buy books in UK and from sites like FIctionwise and BooksonBoard without any hassle. You can even buy from Sony if you can get a gift certificate or emailed gift voucher.

In addition if you use Calibre (a great product) you can format non DRM documents and even your own stuff to use on the reader. Kindle has some serious restrictions and is only available in USA. Used with an SD memory card it will store more books than you could possibly read!

If you want more info send me a private message. I live in Sydney.

Robinoz
robinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
G'day Stratagemo!

I have a Sony 505 (I bought rather than the 700 due to the screen contrast) that I bought on-line, also through B&H Camera in NY. I have dealt with them for years and they are a delight to do business with! Enjoy this new technology!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 06:40 AM   #10
Stratagemo

Thanks again everyone!

I'm definitely going to be getting the Sony now. It seems like the best fit for me.

I really appreciate all the advice!