Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Do you keep a log of the books you read?

Just curious if anybody keeps a log of books that you read---do you keep track of ALL books (print and e) or just e-books? What software/journal/system do you use?

I keep a log using Delicious because I like being able to download and browse the list while on the go with my iPod Touch. I like knowing how many e-books I have read because I keep a spreadsheet keeping track of my costs. So far, I have spent about $700 on both devices AND books, and read about 82 books, making my average cost per book in the vicinity of $8 (which is cheaper than paperback prices! If I read every book currently on my device BEFORE I buy new ones, my cost per book will go down to about $2).

Delicious lets me keep track of books I paid for AND freebies easily by using tags. For example, here are my Fictionwise purchases:

http://delicious.com/ficbot/Books--Bought

And here are the Project Gutenberg freebies I've read:

http://delicious.com/ficbot/Books--Free

I am planning to add a 'To Read' tag as well for books I own but haven't read yet.

It is a very easy system because all I have to do is find the book on Fictionwise or Manybooks after I read it, and press one button to tag it. I do not log print books because I read too many and am not interested in tracking the cost amortization the way I am with e-books.

Any other log/list keepers? Curious what system you use.

Last edited by ficbot; 03-08-2009 at 11:21 AM. Reason: edited to fix URL
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Any other log/list keepers? Curious what system you use.
Yes, I use librarything.com... I only enter books that I have read. But, you can enter all and there is a "read" and "to read" flag if you prefer that method.

To see my library go to http://www.librarything.com/catalog/PilotBob

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 11:45 AM   #3
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Bob I've got something you'll might find interesting check it out here
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 11:49 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Bob I've got something you'll might find interesting check it out here
Wow... I didn't even know there were Trek comics. Maybe I will put this on my Christmas wishlist. Although I never really got into comic books.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Yep, I have shelfari...I use it to check for books I've read and also to scout out new books I may like to read . It helps with unintentionally re-reading books
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
I don't but want to, and I've signed up for Librarything to do so, but have not earnestly started yet.

I'm still working out how to get the hundreds of books I've read in the past onto it easily, as doing it manually is not really going to work
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
My book register with read information (kept since 1979 or so) is an SGML file. I do not want to be dependent on any program or web page that might disappear. I synchonize the file to my N810 using subversion. I edit the file on my N810 using leafpad. html files with information about what I have read is generated using Perl scripts.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #8
alehel
Zealot
alehel began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
I've just started. I've decided to list the books I own, as I have no chance of remembering ones I've read, but no longer own. I also use LibraryThing and think it's great.

Here's a link to my profile: http://www.librarything.com/profile/alehel
alehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:00 PM   #9
leandroide
Zealot
leandroide has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Papyre 6.1 (Hanlin V3)
I've tried several options, and at last I decided to mantain the list of the books I've read in a html file.

You can see the format I use in the attached image.

Regards,

L.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lista.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	18584  
leandroide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM   #10
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
To answer to the basic question: no, I do not keep a log of the books I read (have).

One main reason is that I know everything I have read, so no need to make a list - I think one would want to do one to remember oneself, not a problem for me.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:27 PM   #11
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
To answer to the basic question: no, I do not keep a log of the books I read (have).

One main reason is that I know everything I have read, so no need to make a list - I think one would want to do one to remember oneself, not a problem for me.
Impressive that you can remember all books you have read. But I suppose you cannot do a list of them from memory. Another thing that is good to have is the dates you read the book and consequently how many times you have read a book. I can usually answer if I have read a specific book but not always since I have started reading a book and realized half way that I had read it before.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:48 PM   #12
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Nope, not at all
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Since I discovered Goodreads I found it an invaluable tool to catalogue the books I've been reading, trying to read, started but put aside for now and so on.

I do not discriminate between e and p, though on the whole I tend to read about 65%-35% print to e, though now with my new 700 I've been reading more e overall recently, though I have quite a few print *must* print books waiting so the ratio will still remain 60% or more print for 2008.

Next year I hope to get much more pdf e-arcs for review than regular print since now with the 700 I ask first for pdf's and only if the publisher/author is not willing I take print, while from what I buy, hopefully there will be more books I want as e but I have no control about that.

Since I tend to read 200 or more new books a year and try/start at least 100 if not more, it was hard to do it by hand and I was not willing to pay for Library Thing.
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I keep a simple text file on my laptop. Since I take my laptop with me everywhere I go, it's not a problem to have it handy when I finish reading a book. Quarterly, I post a summary to my Reading Blog (http://www.elsi123.net/~elsi/ ) Although I have accounts at LibraryThing, GoodReads, Shelfari, and even Delicious, I just update them periodically and keep the active file on my laptop.

Tompe, I'm interested in your SGML file. What markup system do you use? Do you have a schema?
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #15
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
No, but sometimes I make a log out the ones I have read...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote