Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 06:46 PM   #46
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I ran the heuristic processing fix on All Booked Up in Calibre and then added a space between paragraphs. I think that it is now readable, at least for me. I'm a neophyte at this, though, so there may be better suggestions.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #47
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
from Mysterious Press/Open Road, Amazon, US at least

The Eighth Dwarf, by Ross Thomas is reduced to $2.99 (I think normally $8)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005PFN7F0

Ross Thomas is one of my favorite mystery writers of all time. His plots usually include quirky characters, dry humor, and double-dealing. Although typically set in "current" time (at the time they were written), this one is set in post-WWII era. Characters include the titled dwarf, Nazis and a nazi hunter. Closest similar writing style I can think of might be some of Donald Westlake's stand-alone novels.
For those who aren't familiar with his work, it's worth a shot if it looks interesting. For those who are familiar with his books, and get curious, a quick warning: The Amazon author page shows another Thomas novel with a $2.99 price (The Highbinders), but this is actually an identically titled book from a different author. (Thomas's "The Highbinders" is available, but at a higher price not linked to the author page. I've sent Amazon a message asking them to correct the error.)

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:15 PM   #48
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
This looks good, Kent. I picked this one up. Thanks.

Also for $2.99 at B&N and Sony

Also got All Booked Up. Thanks, mitford. And thanks Dr. Drib for the heads up on the formatting issues and to Belle for how to fix them.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:36 AM   #49
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the Kindle Daily Deals today is for thriller, The Informationist by Taylor Stevens. This is a Random House book so will probably be available for the same price at the other stores. Right now it is $1.99 only at B&N.

Quote:
Vanessa “Michael” Munroe deals in information—expensive information—working for corporations, heads of state, private clients, and anyone else who can pay for her unique brand of expertise. Born to missionary parents in lawless central Africa, Munroe took up with an infamous gunrunner and his mercenary crew when she was just fourteen. As his protégé, she earned the respect of the jungle's most dangerous men, cultivating her own reputation for years until something sent her running. After almost a decade building a new life and lucrative career from her home base in Dallas, she's never looked back.

Until now.

A Texas oil billionaire has hired her to find his daughter who vanished in Africa four years ago. It’s not her usual line of work, but she can’t resist the challenge. Pulled deep into the mystery of the missing girl, Munroe finds herself back in the lands of her childhood, betrayed, cut off from civilization, and left for dead. If she has any hope of escaping the jungle and the demons that drive her, she must come face-to-face with the past that she’s tried for so long to forget.

Gripping, ingenious, and impeccably paced, The Informationist marks the arrival or a thrilling new talent.
The audio book is also available at Audible for $3.95 if you buy the ebook at Amazon.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:06 AM   #50
NightBird
Wizard

Free Fire Point by John Smolens. Originally published by Random House in 2004.

Quote:
At nineteen, Hannah LeClaire already has a reputation in the village of Whitefish Harbor. She is a lonely, fragile young woman given to long walks along the shores of Lake Superior, and on a raw April day she wanders into a dilapidated house and encounters Martin Reed, who has recently moved to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula with the intention of renovating the condemned Victorian once owned by his aunt. Quickly Hannah realizes that Martin is an outcast, too, and unlike anyone she has ever met.

Fire Point is the story of the summer Hannah and Martin attempt to rebuild their lives while restoring the house. But when Sean Colby returns to Michigan after a curiously sudden discharge from military service, he cannot abide the thought of Hannah, his former girlfriend, moving on without him. Sean’s obsession leads to a series of increasingly violent acts designed to thwart the dreams that Hannah and Martin have set out to build with their own hands.

Written in spare, graceful prose, Fire Point is a thrilling and suspenseful story of love, vengeance, and renewal, set against the pristine beauty of America’s great inland sea.

Fire Point was selected as Detroit Free Press Michigan Book of the Year.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #51
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thank you, BelleZora.

Heuristic processing did fix the horrible formatting.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #52
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
One of the Kindle Daily Deals today is for thriller, The Informationist by Taylor Stevens.

<snip>

The audio book is also available at Audible for $3.95 if you buy the ebook at Amazon.
Thanks very much. I listened to an excerpt of this last year and $6 for the combination is great.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #53
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Thank you, BelleZora.

Heuristic processing did fix the horrible formatting.

Don
Thanks, Dr Drib & Belle Zora, for the heads up on the formatting.
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #54
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I ran the heuristic processing fix on All Booked Up in Calibre and then added a space between paragraphs. I think that it is now readable, at least for me. I'm a neophyte at this, though, so there may be better suggestions.
Can you give me an example of the earliest typo? I just had to struggle to get a version downloaded (had to quit and restart the kindle software before it showed up) and now I don't see any errors in the first 2-3 pages. I was going to fix them as you suggested, but .... ??
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #55
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I didn't see any typos. The problem was the formatting, particularly the very wide margins. Like Dr. Drib, I didn't like the way it looked on my Kindle. I also was bothered by the indents. The heuristic processing fix made it, for me, less irritating to read.

But if the formatting doesn't bother you, I see no reason to change it.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:05 PM   #56
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
Thanks very much. I listened to an excerpt of this last year and $6 for the combination is great.
YW. I thought this one looked interesting, too.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #57
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I didn't see any typos. The problem was the formatting, particularly the very wide margins. Like Dr. Drib, I didn't like the way it looked on my Kindle. I also was bothered by the indents. The heuristic processing fix made it, for me, less irritating to read.

But if the formatting doesn't bother you, I see no reason to change it.

As well, the paragraph indents varied. A very sloppily put together ebook.

Don
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #58
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
One of the Kindle Daily Deals today is for thriller, The Informationist by Taylor Stevens. This is a Random House book so will probably be available for the same price at the other stores. Right now it is $1.99 only at B&N.

Now $1.99 at Sony.

Bargain noir from Allan Guthrie: Savage Night for $1.99.

Quote:
How much blood would you spill to avenge those you love?

Andy Park passes out at the sight of blood, but he thinks he’s discovered a way to make his family’s enemies pay. He isn’t prepared for the fallout, though, when his teenage son is put in mortal danger and his daughter and her fiancé are forced to carry out his dirty work.

And yet Park’s world is peachy in comparison to Tommy Savage’s. A masked man known only as Mr. Smith is blackmailing Savage—for what, he has no idea. And after an attempt to gain the upper hand has near-fatal results, Tommy and his brother, Phil, find themselves heading to a graveyard with only a couple of swords and a bag of cash for company.

Will they survive the night?

Will anyone?

With equal parts blood phobia and blood lust, Allan Guthrie’s Savage Night unfolds over six short blood-blind hours in Scotland’s capital city.

Last edited by NightBird; 02-13-2013 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #59
NightBird
Wizard

Free from HarperCollins: Surrender by Donna Malane. Kobo

Quote:
Missing persons expert Diane Rowe is used to making sense of other people′s lives. It′s just a pity she′s not having much luck with her own. The brutal murder of her little sister, Niki, and the break-up of her marriage have tested her usual tough optimism. When Niki′s killer turns up dead, Diane is determined to nail the truth, despite the best efforts of her policeman ex-husband to sideline her. But uncovering Niki′s seedy past reveals truths and dangers she never expected - or wanted - to face. Diane is determined to make sense of it all - whatever it takes.
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 AM   #60
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Free on Amazon UK
The Michaela Bancroft Mysteries 1-3 (Michaela Bancroft Suspense Series) by Michele scott

'For a limited time fans of the Michaela Bancroft Mysteries can receive the first three books together for one great low price on your Kindle!

In SADDLED WITH TROUBLE Horse trainer Michaela Bancroft has worked hard to make it in the man's world of training and showing quarter horses. After her husband leaves her for a twenty-two-year-old rodeo queen, she's left with a broken heart and mounting debts. Then death strikes and Michaela is suddenly...Saddled With Trouble. Michaela is trying to rein in her life when she finds her Uncle Lou murdered in his prize stallion's stall. As she fends off debt collectors--and her ex-husband's renewed interest in her--Michaela begins to suspect that the killer may be someone close to her. When she's nearly run off the road the night after her uncle's funeral, Michaela is convinced she's on the fast track to becoming the next victim.

Michaela’s adventures continue in DEATH REINS IN as Michaela is headed out for a day at the Quarter Horse Races with her dear friend Audrey Pratt. However, a fun day under the Southern California blue skies turns dark and gloomy rather fast, when Audrey reveals that her brother (racetrack veterinarian) Bob Pratt has been missing for a few days. Michaela suspects that Bob may be out on a binder and hopes that isn't so, as Audrey has recently put her brother through rehab. But when Audrey winds up murdered at the races, out on the back forty lot next to the parked horse trailers, Michaela suspects that Bob's disappearance and Audrey's murder are related. She is determined to find out who did this horrible thing to her friend and locate Audrey's missing brother.

In the third segment in this mystery series TACKED TO DEATH A new tack shop and a gala polo match are reasons to celebrate for Michaela-until equestrian Sterling Tabor is found clubbed to death with a polo mallet. Worse yet, suspicion falls on Michaela... The weapon belongs to Michaela, her prints are all over it, and rumors of her alleged affair with the victim aren't helping. With her boyfriend Detective Jude Davis out of town, Michaela doesn't stand a chance of proving her innocence and clearing her name unless she delves into Tabor's mysterious life-and death-on her own. But in unearthing a real suspect and a motive, she discovers a deadly past. One that sends the killer after Michaela herself.'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Michaela-Ban...831542&sr=1-97
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote