Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Getting Started Resources

I've had a lot of friends get Kindles lately and none of them are techies. I'd like to help them get started but most the resources I know about are fairly tech-heavy (talk of DRM, etc.)

Basically, I'd like to know if there are guides for using things like our ebook sources here (including using the kindle guide), feedbooks, etc. Maybe even an introduction to Calibre.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I find a lot of them don't even bother to read the Kindle Guide that comes with their Kindle.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 12:55 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here is the link to our Wiki Kindle info

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Amazon_Kindle_2

Just about anything you'd want to know about it, including links to the downloadable guide.

and here's the link to the Kindle1
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Amazon_Kindle
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:30 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
there are a couple of demo videos of calibre in action and I keep meaning to make a more comprehensize tutorial type video, but keep putting it off
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
there are a couple of demo videos of calibre in action and I keep meaning to make a more comprehensive tutorial type video, but keep putting it off
Pretty please?

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2009, 05:36 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
there are a couple of demo videos of calibre in action and I keep meaning to make a more comprehensize tutorial type video, but keep putting it off
Nooo, spend more time fixing bugs and adding features, please!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:54 PM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Pretty please?

Regards, Alex
I second that

Pretty please (with whip cream and a cherry on top?)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:09 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What sort of things would you like to see in such a video?
Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Actually, I have been thinking of doing some Calibre videos... I just haven't got around to it.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, I have been thinking of doing some Calibre videos... I just haven't got around to it.

BOb
If you do get around to it, I'll be happy to host them on the calibre website. Another idea I've been playing around with is having some sort of "welcome wizard" for a first time calibre user. This would allow the user to specify the device she wants to use calibre with, which will setup the various device and conversion defaults for her automatically and the wizard could link to a getting started writeup/video.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:16 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
If you do get around to it, I'll be happy to host them on the calibre website.
Sounds good. Actually, the main thing stopping me is getting a decent microphone for my Mac. Anyone have a good reco on a mic that is less than $50?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:28 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

This is the one I used for the current calibre video. Not being an audiophile, I don't know if it is "good", but it works for me

http://www.buy.com/prod/logitech-mic.../10348115.html
Old 04-16-2009, 12:00 AM   #13
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
If you do get around to it, I'll be happy to host them on the calibre website. Another idea I've been playing around with is having some sort of "welcome wizard" for a first time calibre user. This would allow the user to specify the device she wants to use calibre with, which will setup the various device and conversion defaults for her automatically and the wizard could link to a getting started writeup/video.
YES, YES, YES!!! There really is a lot of us who are not tech savvy and just become frustrated (and a pain to others when we can't figure it out).

Just reading the various threads that start out with a simple question becomes very confusing as more points are brought up and varying "what ifs" and solutions are suggested as the thread goes on.

A straight forward "wizard" would be perfect for those of us just wanting to get started. Then, once we were familiar with the program, we would be able to more clearly ask for the specific help needed.

in advance for this wonderful idea.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote