Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-19-2023, 11:55 AM   #181
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Great answer. I'm not actually a member of my local library, you've inspired me to register. I may not ever leave with any books, but if simply being a member that pops in to read their ereader helps their stats and funding it seems worthwhile. I imagine it will be a nice place to quietly read anyhow... and to find inspiration for my next purchase.
Good libraries offer many other services. Ours have storytimes and school holiday programmes, crafting programmes, educational talks (went to one last week on eclipses, it was very interesting), tech instruction and support for seniors and other people who are struggling, meeting rooms for hire, recycling stations (for batteries, ink cartridges etc - the things that aren't picked up by roadside recycling), LEGO club, English conversation classes, author talks, book clubs, homework and study support services, boardgame club, coding for kids, community volunteering coordination, and heaps of other things, along with being the neighbourhood cooling centre in extreme weather.

Just on library borrowing, it is in no way a one-to-one if-I-didn't-borrow-it-I'd-buy-it situation for me. The library is how I discover new authors, check out a cookbook, learn things from nonfiction, etc. I'm assuming many others are much the same.

Last edited by meeera; 10-19-2023 at 12:18 PM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 01:38 PM   #182
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Our Library has used Book Sales and get Property Tax $$$.

And some of the 'Staff' are volunteers.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 04:10 PM   #183
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't see the popup either, but I do return the book as soon as I'm done reading it.
You will only see the popup on a Kobo ereader if the book is synced from Kobo to the ereader. You can tell those books since the book will show the expiry time in the book list and the book type as Overdrive. I was expecting to see the same behaviour with a book synced from ADE but that last time I tested, that was not the case.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-19-2023 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Added comment about ADE
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 05:04 PM   #184
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I don't see the popup either, but I do return the book as soon as I'm done reading it.
I do the same.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2023, 08:30 PM   #185
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem (as I see it) is that you get 21-days to finish an eBook. Most people don't return an eBook if they've finished before the 21-days and it just sits there waiting to expire. Overdrive should make people learn about early returns when they first sign into Overdrive.
Quote:
If I finish before time is up, and I'm sure I'm not going to want to look back at the book I'll go ahead and return it. Sometimes I read quickly but then over the next day or so I want to go back and reread some part of the book more thoroughly so I don't always return immediately after the initial read through.

If I put a book on hold I assume that all the people ahead of me are going to use the longest possible checkout time. This doesn't bother me. If I don't want (or can't afford) to buy a book for instant gratification then I view a long wait period as an acceptable alternative.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2023, 05:07 PM   #186
cosmicvoid
cosmicvoid began at the beginning.

Device: none
_____

Last edited by cosmicvoid; 12-09-2023 at 11:34 AM.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 11:14 AM   #187
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Long hold times.I tried to get the ebook as a companion to the physical book i am reading. 22 week wait list. Sorry in 22 weeks i will not be interested
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 04:36 PM   #188
AudreyMedia
AudreyMedia began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
The main reason I wanted to use this was for magazines but I discovered my ereader does not support magazines, or at least overdrive doesn't on mine
AudreyMedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 06:13 PM   #189
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Well, I may not be using my local library anymore. When I checked out a book, it claimed that I could use ADE to redeem the loan, but the option to download an ACSM file is gone on the library website. I can only read with Kindle or in the browser now. I downloaded Libby and signed into that, and the only options are to read with Libby or Kindle on that, too. If ACSM downloads are gone now, that means I'll have to stop using the library, I guess.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:04 PM   #190
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Well, I may not be using my local library anymore. When I checked out a book, it claimed that I could use ADE to redeem the loan, but the option to download an ACSM file is gone on the library website. I can only read with Kindle or in the browser now. I downloaded Libby and signed into that, and the only options are to read with Libby or Kindle on that, too. If ACSM downloads are gone now, that means I'll have to stop using the library, I guess.
Some books/magazines are no longer available in an ePub format and so can not be downloaded with ADE or equivalent. Alternatively your library may have switched to a different backend that does not support .ACSM files.

Admittedly, I never see anything about Kindles since other than the USA, no one loans books in an Amazon supported format.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 08:26 PM   #191
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It appears that it's impossible to get ACSM files from OverDrive and the Libby app now. The only way is to use libbyapp.com, but when I was trying to figure out how to get an ACSM file, I clicked the Kindle option and "locked in" that loan type. I now have to return the loan and put myself on the hold list again in order to change to a different loan type. Ah, technological progress!
Old 04-11-2024, 09:35 PM   #192
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I just went to Overdrive (the website, from my computer), found a random book at one of my libraries, and downloaded the ACSM file just fine.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:11 PM   #193
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
On the Libby web site at least (https://libbyapp.com) , try going to the "Manage Loan" option for a borrowed book, then select "Read With" . My experience has been that lets me download an acsm
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 10:56 PM   #194
Aleron Ives
Wizard

I did use "Manage Loan". It said ACSM was not allowed, because my "choice" of Kindle was already "locked in" until the next time I checked out the book. I wasn't aware that I had chosen Kindle or that you were only allowed one "choice" of format per loan. As usual, the new Libby system is worse than the old OverDrive system.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:02 AM   #195
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
I wasn't aware that I had chosen Kindle or that you were only allowed one "choice" of format per loan. As usual, the new Libby system is worse than the old OverDrive system.
I don't usually try to change formats on a book loan (only if I accidentally asked for the wrong format). But as best I can remember, I have never been able to change a format on an existing loan. I could check the incorrect format I had back in, then check it out again in a different format (assuming nobody else was on the waiting list to get the book before my second attempt).

I have always used Overdrive - I have not tried Libby yet. I did install the Libby app on my phone, looked at it, didn't like what I saw (mostly because I was unfamiliar with it), and deleted it. Then I just went back to using Overdrive from my computer like I was used to doing. Libby may be different in how it handles different formats, but Overdrive has never allowed a format swap on an existing loan to my knowledge.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote