Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-19-2023, 08:48 AM   #166
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Libraries do not pay the authors royalties. Royalties are paid to the author by the publisher.
Apache
Whether authors get paid per checkout depends on your location and the type of book. Australia has a Public Lending Rights Scheme that pays authors; this scheme was recently improved.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 08:49 AM   #167
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
Is it really moral to check out a library book if you can afford to buy it?
Congratulations, this is the worst hot take I've read today.
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 09:15 AM   #168
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Congratulations, this is the worst hot take I've read today.
Your sarcasm wounds me deeply Meeera.

For everybody else, some clarification...

Authors only get pennies per rental at best; as there are likely many library members struggling financially and a limited supply of each book title - if you can afford to purchase the book is that the more moral course of action?

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-19-2023 at 09:26 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 09:59 AM   #169
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Authors only get pennies per rental at best; as there are likely many library members struggling financially and a limited supply of each book title - if you can afford to purchase the book is that the more moral course of action?
If I buy lentils when I could afford prime steak from a local farmer, is that immoral?

If I take a walk around a park when I could afford to go to a movie, is that immoral?

If I go to the state art gallery when I could afford to buy art for my house walls, is that immoral?

I voted for the party that improved the lending rights scheme, I advocate for good public library funding in my community, and I submit purchase requests to my library (just did one tonight). But you're somehow sitting in judgement nevertheless.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:14 AM   #170
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Out of the three questions, the first two aren't really similar in analogy. A bit silly in my opinion.

The third is closest, but I can improve upon it...

If I go to the state art gallery but neglect to pay the voluntary concession fee despite being able to afford to, is that immoral?

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-19-2023 at 10:24 AM.
Advert
Old 10-19-2023, 10:18 AM   #171
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The third is closest, but I can improve upon it...

If I go to the state art gallery but neglect to pay the voluntary concession fee despite being able to afford to, is that immoral?
There's no tip box at the library.

If I watch the ABC instead of buying a Netflix subscription or DVD box sets, is that immoral?
Old 10-19-2023, 10:26 AM   #172
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Your sarcasm wounds me deeply Meeera.

For everybody else, some clarification...

Are you thinking of a moral duty to make sure as much money as possible goes to the publishers and authors? Or a moral duty to other library members to make it easier/quicker for them to get books from the library? Or maybe both? Because I don't think the first one exists. The second - well I guess it's nice if you don't take up a limited resource because you can afford an alternative but assuming you pay taxes that go towards the library system I'm not sure about there being a moral imperative there.

Andrew
andyh2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 10:31 AM   #173
neil_swann80

Quote:
If I watch the ABC instead of buying a Netflix subscription or DVD box sets, is that immoral?
Closer I guess, but still not in the same spirit. Libraries have a limited number of titles etc.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:35 AM   #174
neil_swann80

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
The second - well I guess it's nice if you don't take up a limited resource because you can afford an alternative but assuming you pay taxes that go towards the library system I'm not sure about there being a moral imperative there.
Perhaps not a moral imperative... but is one avenue more moral than the other, even slightly?

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-19-2023 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:52 AM   #175
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Perhaps not a moral imperative... but is one avenue more moral than the other, even slightly?
The more our libraries are used, the more they can make a case to continue or improve their funding.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:05 AM   #176
neil_swann80

Quote:
The more our libraries are used, the more they can make a case to continue or improve their funding.
Great answer. I'm not actually a member of my local library, you've inspired me to register. I may not ever leave with any books, but if simply being a member that pops in to read their ereader helps their stats and funding it seems worthwhile. I imagine it will be a nice place to quietly read anyhow... and to find inspiration for my next purchase.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 10-19-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #177
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
As soon as you turn the last page of a book in Libby, there's a bold prompt "Return Loan to Library". Tapping that is the easiest route back to your Shelf.
A lot of people use ADE to get Overdrive eBooks. I prefer to read them on my Libra 2 and not on my computer of phone.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2023, 11:08 AM   #178
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Ditto on Kobo ereaders where finishing a library book give you a Return early popup. Tap on it, wait for the preview to finish downloading and it's done.
ADE does not give you such a popup.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:20 AM   #179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I use libraries. It's not immoral to borrow what they have to offer.
Old 10-19-2023, 11:50 AM   #180
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
ADE does not give you such a popup.
I don't see the popup either, but I do return the book as soon as I'm done reading it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote