Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2023, 03:47 PM   #136
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BionicGecko View Post
I did just that, thanks all for the info!

Just be aware that while the e-card is indeed available outside of the US, one's access to some content might be limited depending on where they are geographically located. Case in point: neither the Axis360 nor the Hoopla apps are available in my country's App Store. One might want to check availability before joining the library.

A few points to consider:
  • All three sites offer direct reading or listening via the PC browser (if that's your thing).
  • Overdrive ebooks work fine with my Kindle (registered with a UK address), and the Libby app (from Overdrive) works well with both ebooks and audiobooks.
  • ebooks on Axis360 are available for download as .epub files with Adobe DRM; this makes it possible at least to deDRM those books to read them on an ereader (which I consider a valid use case here as the app is not available; just be sure to delete the book after reading). Audiobooks are in a proprietary format and cannot be downloaded and/or decrypted.
  • For Hoopla, there doesn't seem to be a way to download any content at all. So in countries where the app is not available, this catalogue is PC only.
  • It is likely possible to download the apps by changing your home country in the App Store, however this is not always practical; for instance, you might have region-specific subscriptions on your account, which have to be canceled before the country can be changed. As this is my case, I haven't tried this, and cannot confirm it works, or if a VPN is required to retrieve content, etc.

It’s also worth pointing out that the video streaming sites available via the Libby app (Kanopy, IndieFlix, Quello Concerts and The Great Courses) are all accessible from abroad; there’s some really interesting stuff in there!

Hopefully this will be useful to someone
Thanks for being a UK guinea pig!

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #137
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I ghink only overdrive will work with your paperwhite.
Quote:

Just be aware that while the e-card is indeed available outside of the US, one's access to some content might be limited depending on where they are geographically located. Case in point: neither the Axis360 nor the Hoopla apps are available in my country's App Store. One might want to check availability before joining the library.

A few points to consider:
  • All three sites offer direct reading or listening via the PC browser (if that's your thing).
  • Overdrive ebooks work fine with my Kindle (registered with a UK address), and the Libby app (from Overdrive) works well with both ebooks and audiobooks.
    [*] ebooks on Axis360 are available for download as .epub files with Adobe DRM; this makes it possible at least to deDRM those books to read them on an ereader (which I consider a valid use case here as the app is not available; just be sure to delete the book after reading). Audiobooks are in a proprietary format and cannot be downloaded and/or decrypted.
  • For Hoopla, there doesn't seem to be a way to download any content at all. So in countries where the app is not available, this catalogue is PC only.
  • It is likely possible to download the apps by changing your home country in the App Store, however this is not always practical; for instance, you might have region-specific subscriptions on your account, which have to be canceled before the country can be changed. As this is my case, I haven't tried this, and cannot confirm it works, or if a VPN is required to retrieve content, etc.

It’s also worth pointing out that the video streaming sites available via the Libby app (Kanopy, IndieFlix, Quello Concerts and The Great Courses) are all accessible from abroad; there’s some really interesting stuff in there!

Hopefully this will be useful to someone
Sorry for the misinformation about axis 360. Good to here there epubs are avaiable vie ADE.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2023, 02:05 AM   #138
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
Thanks for being a UK guinea pig!
Haha thanks Andrew In fact I'm located in central Europe; I think you'd have it a bit easier than me as from what I can tell the Axis360 and Hoopla apps are both available in the UK. It's no replacement for direct Kindle integration but at least it gives access to the audio libraries, and Hoopla seems to have quite a lot of graphic novels (if you're into that).

Quote:
Sorry for the misinformation about axis 360. Good to here there epubs are avaiable vie ADE.
Yes, AFAIK the availability of epub downloads on axis 360 varies between libraries (from what I gather it's a setting that libraries can decide to enable or not), so it's great to see that the Queens public library allows it.

Also I don't think this is misinformation at all: it indeed doesn't work out of the box, and involves erring into a rather dark shade of grey area (removing DRM from book loans). Overall I think it's safe to say that the catalogue won't work with Kindles or in unsupported geographical areas, but it's good to know there are options
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:32 PM   #139
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:

Can confirm, for those interested, that Hoopla/QPL works great in Australia.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 10:18 AM   #140
nabsltd
Evangelist
nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nabsltd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th gen), Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
I try to use the shortest borrowing time to keep the books in circulation.
For many ebooks, this makes no difference, since libraries pay the publisher each time they loan out the ebook.

Basically, libraries buy multipacks of loans on each ebook, and then loan them out. Each loan decreases the number available, regardless of how long the loan lasts. Renewals of the loan length don't decrease the counter.

So, when you return an ebook loan, you aren't really doing anything to give anybody else a better chance to check it out. If your library has more loans left, then other users can check it out. If you used up the last loan, then it doesn't matter when you return it. All that matters is when you library pays for more loans.
nabsltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2023, 12:23 PM   #141
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
For many ebooks, this makes no difference, since libraries pay the publisher each time they loan out the ebook.

Basically, libraries buy multipacks of loans on each ebook, and then loan them out. Each loan decreases the number available, regardless of how long the loan lasts. Renewals of the loan length don't decrease the counter.

So, when you return an ebook loan, you aren't really doing anything to give anybody else a better chance to check it out. If your library has more loans left, then other users can check it out. If you used up the last loan, then it doesn't matter when you return it. All that matters is when you library pays for more loans.
This is a bit confusing to me; I get that every book has a certain number of loans "tied" to it, and that every loan, regardless of the duration, decreases this number by one. However, if I am, say, on the waiting list for a book, of which (to keep things simple) the library only "owns" one copy; then surely if everyone returns the book within a week instead of within three weeks, I will get to read the book earlier? I think it might be what Renate meant by "keeping books in circulation".

On my side I always try to return the book ASAP as a kindness to the people below me in the list (or, should I say, as the "normal" thing to do), and I hope other people do the same for me
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 02:42 PM   #142
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
However, if I am, say, on the waiting list for a book, of which (to keep things simple) the library only "owns" one copy; then surely if everyone returns the book within a week instead of within three weeks, I will get to read the book earlier? ...
Probably depends on the library, but I would guess that you are correct. I have yet to have an ebook on hold and it become unavailable. This is for multiple libraries over the past ~10 years (in the U.S.).
Old 06-12-2023, 03:41 PM   #143
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
I have yet to have an ebook on hold and it become unavailable. This is for multiple libraries over the past ~10 years (in the U.S.).
You can occasionally see this status on books at OverDrive libraries:

Quote:
0 of 0 copies available Wait time: Not available ?
If you click on the question mark it brings up a dialog showing:

Quote:
HOLDS INFORMATION

The license for this title has expired. You can still place a hold on it, and your hold will move forward if the library purchases the title again.
I have placed some of these books on hold and had the library purchase them eventually.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 04:54 PM   #144
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have placed some of these books on hold and had the library purchase them eventually.
No such luck for me; however, I'm currently 5th in line for a book no longer available and I'm hopeful that's a sufficient level of demand to trigger a repurchase.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2023, 06:51 AM   #145
John F
Grand Sorcerer

I've seen 0 copies owned.

For those on a hold list with zero copies, have you tried emailing a request? When I was a member at FLP, they were very responsive to emails.
Old 06-23-2023, 07:43 AM   #146
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
No such luck for me; however, I'm currently 5th in line for a book no longer available and I'm hopeful that's a sufficient level of demand to trigger a repurchase.
And it was! Fifth was the charm, apparently.

Good to know for this particular library which is a new one for me; they're willing to repurchase and you're allowed enough holds that it's not a constraint. They're not independent factors; it's possible other libraries I've used are willing to repurchase, but with only a handful of holds allowed people mostly won't be willing to "waste" a hold, so they'll be no obvious demand.
Old 09-24-2023, 09:12 PM   #147
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I’m not sure if I answered this but to be honest, it’s the long wait time . I end up just buying the book because I cannot wait six weeks or whatever
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 11:40 AM   #148
cosmicvoid
cosmicvoid began at the beginning.

Device: none
_____

Last edited by cosmicvoid; 12-09-2023 at 11:36 AM.
cosmicvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 12:23 PM   #149
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicvoid View Post
Putting restrictions on digital goods is kind of weird.
How the heck are the rights' holders going to get paid otherwise? The "piracy model" you engaged in is dishonest. We don't view piracy as a benign activity here; please don't present it as such.
Old 10-15-2023, 02:28 PM   #150
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
How the heck are the rights' holders going to get paid otherwise? The "piracy model" you engaged in is dishonest. We don't view piracy as a benign activity here; please don't present it as such.
The library systems could give the authors the same amount of money per loan but allow many simultaneous loans?

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote