Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-12-2021, 07:56 AM   #16
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Did you check the other chapters? It has a few quotations in much more obscure languages/scripts. I think it was a kind of parody on "serious" books that find it necessary to insert quotations in (typically) Latin or Greek. I haven't read the book, though.
Not yet,but I may read the books

Quote:
Huh? The fallback should be basic Latin. If you write "this & that", that's what you'd see. It's only if you activate a feature such as ss02 that is displayed with some more fanciness, and you can do that for specific words/paragraphs/sections with CSS.
But I don't usually edit css. The only way in Writer is to use the Insert Special Character feature, which won't fall back to basic latin if the font isn't used.

So the only way to achieve what I suggested in the first post is a font that has the old Irish/Insular styled characters in the regular character positions. I do have such fonts that do have some of the old style letters but not all. And a couple of suitable fonts that seem to be some ancient ttf version that doesn't work on Linux. Maybe they were for win 3.0? Maybe fontforge can fix them.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:39 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I may revisit the BunchlÛ I currently have (I'd have thought that should be an ó at the end). But I'd need to check the licence conditions and find where I got it. Though I don't like the lowercase d and r. At least the a, i, g, f and & are correct.
Advert
Old 05-12-2021, 12:39 PM   #18
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
But I don't usually edit css. The only way in Writer is to use the Insert Special Character feature, which won't fall back to basic latin if the font isn't used.
Maybe you don't "usually" edit CSS, but I think this deserves it

In LibreOffice Writer you can just set the font to "Junicode:ss02" and presto. See this screenshot. Top row: "Junicode", bottom row: "Junicode:ss02". See https://www.scholarsfonts.net/otsoftware.html. I don't know how that is converted/exported to an ebook format, but you can always edit the CSS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210512_183423.png
Views:	317
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	187091  
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:29 PM   #19
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
LibreOffice Writer?

Since LibreOffice 5.3, you can enable more advanced OpenType functionality by typing a colon + extra information after your font.

For example, to disable ligatures:

Code:
Junicode:liga=0
to enable smallcaps:

Code:
Junicode:smcp
If you want your fancy ampersands that look like 7s:

Code:
Junicode:ss02
To enable multiple, you use an ampersand:

Code:
Junicode:smcp&ss02
You can then apply these in a Style at the paragraph OR character level. For example, if you only wanted the 7-shaped '&', you'd apply a character style with :ss02.

Instead of manually typing the codes, you can also press the "Features" button:

Name:	LibreOffice.Font.Dialog.png
Views:	241
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	187096

Here's what it looks like when I used it on Junicode:

Name:	LibreOffice.Font.Features.Dialog.png
Views:	242
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	187097

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-12-2021 at 05:40 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

There is always something new to learn!

Actually many of the fonts I have the Features button in Styles simply lists the font name, but I see on junicode it does show loads.
Still don't like the Irish style it has.

I shall experiment. It may be more use for source that's exporting as PDF for POD than ebooks as I expect compatibility to be low on older eink ereaders. I have a wide variety of eink and apps to test on. Three separate Kindle generations as well as various epub based ereaders, not all eink.

I'd decided ages ago that I'd only put fractional spaces and small caps on source intended for paper publishing, not ebooks. Indeed for paper, small caps needs a Character Style rather than paragraph, for stuff like BC, AD, CE, BCE etc.

Last edited by Quoth; 05-13-2021 at 06:24 AM. Reason: test
Advert
Old 05-13-2021, 06:33 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Maybe you don't "usually" edit CSS, but I think this deserves it

In LibreOffice Writer you can just set the font to "Junicode:ss02" and presto. See this screenshot. Top row: "Junicode", bottom row: "Junicode:ss02". See https://www.scholarsfonts.net/otsoftware.html.
And oddly I already had the PDF download referenced on that page. Obviously I either hadn't read it, or wasn't using a font with the extra features.

I do find that if you Save As Docx, and import to Calibre the Style to CSS class mapping is good on conversion to epub2. Oddly direct odt import doesn't work so well. Also azw3, mobi, dual mobi, LRF, PDB etc conversion seems to be best from an epub2.

If you open and edit a docx in Writer, it messes up a bit, so I only edit/save in odt and save as an extra copy as docx. Same applies to doc, except what gets messed up is a little different.
Old 05-13-2021, 07:15 AM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Instead of manually typing the codes, you can also press the "Features" button:
For the record, my version (6.0.7.3) does not have a "Features" button, but it supports manual method.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:04 AM   #23
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I recently upgraded from 64 bit Linux Mint 18.3 to 20.1, via 19.0, 19.3 and 20.0, (in one day) unlike historic Windows upgrades rather than re-installs, that worked. The last 32 bit only version is 19.3 which seems also OK and is supported for a few more years. There is no penalty with 64 bit, some 64 bit Atoms have 32 bit Win10 because there is more of RAM & performance penalty with 64 bit win10, those Atoms run 64 bit Linux fine.

LO upgraded to 6.4.7.2 by the end of the OS upgrade procedure. I was using LO on XP till November 2016 on a 2002 Dell Laptop! I've imaged that using an MS utility and have it as VM on my current Lenovo running Linux.
Old 05-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #24
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
There is always something new to learn!

Actually many of the fonts I have the Features button in Styles simply lists the font name, but I see on junicode it does show loads.
Yeah, OpenType features also depend on high-quality fonts.

And it's also a difference between professionally designed/purchased fonts (like from InDesign), and those you get from certain free websites. The fonts may have similar names, but who knows what functionality was potentially distorted/stripped.

Anyway, I don't know much about fonts themselves. (Hitch/others know a hell of a lot more about the font minutiae.)

Personally, I never embed and really only stick to a handful. And since I usually need accents, rare characters (polytonic Greek), and most importantly: Maths—this really cuts down on my selection.

Quote:
For the record, my version (6.0.7.3) does not have a "Features" button, but it supports manual method.
Yeah, I only noticed it as I was writing instructions for Quoth.

Turns out it was added in 6.2:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.2

Quote:
GUI > Dialogs

Added Font Features dialog to access font features, which is available via Feature button in the Character dialog, or the Format cell dialog of Calc (Tomaž Vajngerl) tdf#58941
And definitely update to 7.1. They've been adding a ton of enhancements lately (Style Inspector + fantastic TOC navigation).

The upcoming 7.2 is building up to be a great one too. Tons of performance gains + the long-awaited "Command Popup" (aka: search through menus).

Quote:
If you open and edit a docx in Writer, it messes up a bit, so I only edit/save in odt and save as an extra copy as docx.
Yeah, if you're working in LibreOffice, it's always best to work from ODT as your source, then export to DOCX as a last step if needed.

ODT supports all the latest functionality (like 7.2's upcoming support for "page gutters").

Quote:
I do find that if you Save As Docx, and import to Calibre the Style to CSS class mapping is good on conversion to epub2. Oddly direct odt import doesn't work so well. [...]
Yep. Calibre's ODT conversion isn't the greatest, but a simple:

1. LibreOffice: ODT -> Save As DOCX.

2. Calibre: DOCX -> Whatever format conversion.

works well.

Note: Calibre DOCX import carries over your Styles too, whereas the ODT import mangles them.

I believe Kovid's explanation over the years is that the ODT SDK/backend tools aren't the greatest... so he doesn't want to spend all that time+effort fixing it when the "DOCX middleman" currently works so well.

Quote:
I recently upgraded from 64 bit Linux Mint 18.3 to 20.1, via 19.0, 19.3 and 20.0, (in one day) unlike historic Windows upgrades rather than re-installs, that worked.

[...]

LO upgraded to 6.4.7.2 by the end of the OS upgrade procedure.
LibreOffice 7.0 and 7.1 are currently the latest versions.

What you may want to do is install the latest LibreOffice using their official ppa.

If you run these 3 commands:

Code:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa

sudo apt update

sudo apt upgrade
that'll keep you nice and up to date (v7.1.3 as of today).

(For easier instructions, see libre-software.net: "How to install LibreOffice 7.1 on Linux Mint, Ubuntu, MX Linux, Debian...". For more technical (and older versions), see Launchpad.net: "LibreOffice Fresh".)

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 05-13-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:59 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I've upgraded via ppa before when I was 18.1 Mint. But 6.2.x to 6.4.x seem fine for what I want.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:17 PM   #26
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
IIRC Turkish has also a "pointless" i but also a "pointed" I, so you may wanna check whether the font has glyphs for U+49 and U+131.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 02:25 PM   #27
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
IIRC Turkish has also a "pointless" i but also a "pointed" I, so you may wanna check whether the font has glyphs for U+49 and U+131.
Thanks

I know about that. But it may not fall back to i on an ereader and users don't always know how to select publisher fonts. Older ereaders and many apps don't support publisher fonts. The poor reader might see [] or that with tiny numbers in it.

I'll only use a dotless i on paper publishing.
Old 08-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #28
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Maybe some help here?

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote