Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #1
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Question ABBYY Finereader 15 Newbie question

Hi all,

I'm taking a scan of an old out of print book in PDF format and converting it to EPUB for ease of device reading. There is only one thing I'm struggling with a bit, and that is how Finereader handles pictures and tables, when you go through the OCR editor to correct the text, you can pretty much do what you want with it to fix it but pictures tend to drop out of the bottom of the page and end up in the wrong place in the converted text.

Obviously I can fix this post OCR in something like Sigil in the resulting ePub... but.. am I missing something? is there a way to reposition the pictures on one page into the recognised text in the right place?

thanks in advance for any wisdom/tips on this one!
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
I'm taking a scan of an old out of print book in PDF format and converting it to EPUB for ease of device reading. There is only one thing I'm struggling with a bit, and that is how Finereader handles pictures and tables, [...] but pictures tend to drop out of the bottom of the page and end up in the wrong place in the converted text.
Can you share some example PDFs? And images to show exactly what you're seeing in Finereader?

I haven't upgraded to 15 yet, but with 10-12 I never had a problem of images/tables being placed in the wrong locations.

Only thing I can think of is if you have a complicated layout (like two-column journal with images across columns), it may place things in odd locations.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its kind of difficult to post up the PDFs as this forum doesn't allow for file upload, but its fairly simple to see on screen and there are no obvious clues in the PDF...

Original PDF...
Text 1 block
Image marked as image
Text 2 block

Results in...
Text 1 block
Text 2 block
Image marked as Image

(On the resulting recognised page in the OCR pane.)

I guess its a 'feature' of Finereader, it doesn't seem to be possible to edit the resulting position of an image. Maybe I will play a bit more with it.. it doesn't give you any clues in the manual. A 'normal' editor would allow you to cut and paste an object from one location on the page to the other... Finereader doesn't allow this with images.

However, this is an incredibly difficult document in general to OCR, it's in six languages and has a lot of tables and images, so really you need to be conversant in those six languages to be able to spot the errors. Getting it half way right is quite an achievement anyway so even if I have to manually fix everything, I'll have to live with that, you have to be slightly mad to attempt a project like this - that's really the point of it
thanks!
Old 02-02-2021, 04:42 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_ View Post
Its kind of difficult to post up the PDFs as this forum doesn't allow for file upload, but its fairly simple to see on screen and there are no obvious clues in the PDF...
Have you tried the paperclip icon at the top of the message entry box or the Attach files item in the Additional Options section?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
james_
Connoisseur

Well, I think I've figured out what to do. Just set the 'save as' to HTML and layout to 'flexible layout/html' and it will put the pictures in the right place relative to the text, when you set it to epub output it just drops all the pictures to the bottom of the page. Of course, I'll have to take the resulting HTML and convert again to ePub but that shouldn't be too hard.

And David thanks for the tips on attaching files, I'll bear that in mind!
Advert